OT: Simpsons mock Upstate NY | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Simpsons mock Upstate NY

I don't consider Sleepy Hollow or the Borscht belt to be upstate NY things.

I think they were grasping at straws trying to find things to make fun of. Not their finest moment but at this point, it looks like they are really hurting to find new material.

Maybe Homer needs to jump a shark next?

You’re right Sleepy Hollow is in Westchester County and everyone knows Upstate begins north of there.

You fcked Up Simpson’s!

I came to post that. The Simpons "jumped the shark" IMO after season 10. I have seasons 1-10 on DVD and would consider anything after season 10 to be subpar.

Right around the time we began college, if memory serves. There were some hilarious moments after that, but the show became a caricature of itself. And now I haven't watched at all in 10 years.

I can't help but wonder if there is a writer on the Simpson's staff ashamed about his Upstate roots not being hip enough for his SoCal compadres. Who knows.

As a 32 year long participant in the diaspora to greener economic pastures elsewhere in the US, I'm proud of my Upstate origins, and speak fondly of my native region when I have an opportunity to do so. And I return to visit at least once each year without fail. It's easy to chronicle the region's decline over the long course of these visits

Whatever the reason for the show's mockery, I find it unfortunate that this cheap shot has been doled out to a region that has already endured several decades of harsh treatment by the economic realities of a changing world. This is not a good look for a region that could use one. That it has long suffered for its location in a state dominated by a far stronger downstate economy and populace with understandably different political priorities has not always helped the region thrive either, although the downstate wealth certainly helps when it trickles down through some state programs, notably the public schools.

As alumni and/or fans of an institution located in and sharing a name with one of the formerly great cities of this region, we might be wise to temper our amusement at this and consider how much SU suffers for its association with this region. If you need evidence for this suffering, look no further than this humiliation:

Syracuse U., Facing a Forced Exit, Says It Will Withdraw From the AAU

I fear our beloved SU athletic programs risk tracking the region's decline in prestige over time as well. Be careful or your laughter may be no different than whistling past the graveyard.

Hasn't anybody noticed, there was not a direct Syracuse slur in the program? The Syracuse Chamber of Commerce should love that

I think there's a huge correlation between the death of Phil Hartman (1998) and the decline of The Simpsons. Once Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz were no longer available, the show just seemed to go downhill quickly.

when i was in college everyone from home went nuts over a reference to the batavia meat packers union ordering a bunch of pretzels from marge

i can't believe the show is still on

Hell yeah we did! Other than Ricky Williams playing for the Muckdogs that is our only claim to fame.

Lol. that hit below the belt, I used to work at Kodak in Bldg 53, one of the last to be demoed. I have also posted several images of decaying bridges here in Rochester on Gov Cuomo's Twitter feed. I stopped doing it because it didn't seem to do any good. Upstate NY could be the worst place to live in America if it weren't for great housing prices due at least in part to so many people moving out.
honestly where do you guys come up with this nonsense?

Hope you got lots of $. No cheap water front on any lake in the state.

As an aside, I worked summers while in college in one of the buildings Kodak imploded. We packaged a huge percentage of the photographic paper produced in the world back then. 50 years ago!

Not really true. My company had a huge expansion hiring contractors nationwide to work in Oswego, NY. I know about 5 of them that purchased waterfront property raving about the choices and availability in central, ny. They were from Tennessee, Texas, Georgia and 2 from of all places - Louisiana. Most of them purchased property on Lake Ontario but one bought property on Oneida Lake, the other one bought on one of the Adirondack Lakes. They were shocked at the affordability and the number of lakes here that they bought summer vacation property. Skaneateles waterfront property prices are out of sight but there are many lakes, rivers etc in CNY with very affordable property.

Not really true. My company had a huge expansion hiring contractors nationwide to work in Oswego, NY. I know about 5 of them that purchased waterfront property raving about the choices and availability in central, ny. They were from Tennessee, Texas, Georgia and 2 from of all places - Louisiana. Most of them purchased property on Lake Ontario but one bought property on Oneida Lake, the other one bought on one of the Adirondack Lakes. They were shocked at the affordability and the number of lakes here that they bought summer vacation property. Skaneateles waterfront property prices are out of sight but there are many lakes, rivers etc in CNY with very affordable property.
I did say cheap. I've look into lake front property with in reasonable distance from Rochester and it wasn't cheap. Not like 50 years ago. There is a show on HGN that is about finding relatively cheaper ocean front property all around the US but those are still either fairly expensive (by my Rochester standards! ) or flawed.

I think there's a huge correlation between the death of Phil Hartman (1998) and the decline of The Simpsons. Once Troy McClure and Lionel Hutz were no longer available, the show just seemed to go downhill quickly.
Unequivocally the answer

Yeah by contrast to other places one the US upstate is RIDICULOUSLY cheap.

honestly where do you guys come up with this nonsense?
You think I'm the only person that feels this way? Upstate NY is crumbling.. The infrastructure is decaying, take a drive through Rochester and look at the bridges, we had a long thread in the local Nextdoor.com about the litter along our highways.. Seriously, if all my kids didn't own homes here I'd be gone in a heartbeat. When you consider the taxes we contribute, It's absolutely shameful the way upstate is managed.

You think I'm the only person that feels this way? Upstate NY is crumbling.. The infrastructure is decaying, take a drive through Rochester and look at the bridges, we had a long thread in the local Nextdoor.com about the litter along our highways.. Seriously, if all my kids didn't own homes here I'd be gone in a heartbeat. When you consider the taxes we contribute, It's absolutely shameful the way upstate is managed.

I see it a lot where people complain about national trends as if they only happen where they live.

Infrastructure is not an upstate problem, it's a country wide problem. I can't speak for Rochester but the grades Syracuse got for its infrastructure were slightly better than national averages across the board. Every city as infrastructure problems, more than half the places have it worse than us.

With litter, I again can't speak to Rochester, but Syracuse's clean up always happens in late April/early May. It seems a new trend for people to complain about litter in early April as if they never took note of when clean up has always happened.

One thing I know for sure about both Rochester and Syracuse (and Albany too). They rank above average in every quality of life metric, except one ... net migration.

Upstate New York has some of the best quality of life anyplace in the world. All it had ever needed is better marketing.

Upstate New York has some of the best quality of life anyplace in the world. All it had ever needed is better marketing.

If the climate change comes in at the higher end of the projections we'll be sitting pretty with our bountiful fresh water while the Colorado River dries up. Suck it LA

I see it a lot where people complain about national trends as if they only happen where they live.

Infrastructure is not an upstate problem, it's a country wide problem. I can't speak for Rochester but the grades Syracuse got for its infrastructure were slightly better than national averages across the board. Every city as infrastructure problems, more than half the places have it worse than us.

With litter, I again can't speak to Rochester, but Syracuse's clean up always happens in late April/early May. It seems a new trend for people to complain about litter in early April as if they never took note of when clean up has always happened.

One thing I know for sure about both Rochester and Syracuse (and Albany too). They rank above average in every quality of life metric, except one ... net migration.

i live in one of the hottest neighborhoods in nyc. Its meh. No parking, takes forever to go anywhere, pricey AF. But hey, theres some good bars and restaurants around for those who dont have to work 80 hrs to live.

I agree with most all of this. Excellent post. I will add that the economy could also use an influx of fresh out of college type jobs too. That would keep many of the recent college grads in the area and might even interest recent grads from other areas to relocate to the area. Such a brain drain in the late 90's and early 2000's due to a lack of quality employment opportunities for young professionals.

The weather and high taxes are what hurt upstate the most. My wife and I are both from Rochester and now live in NC. She is a hater and I miss everything except the snow. We are getting Wegman's so things are improving down here!

take a ride to central PA or the florida panhandle and get back to me, amongst others.

There are 13 potholes in my street between my house and the corner. There’s only ONE house between my house and the corner.

That said, I feel some type of way about some ex-Upstater or Canadian making jokes about my state to some bonehead mass audience!(yes, that’s a George Costanza quote). Only I can make fun of it.

And I will make fun of everyone else’s hurricanes, mudslides, earthquakes, excess heat, traffic jams, overexpensive houses, paying 3 G’s for a crappy studio apartment in a corny gentrified manbun neighborhood, stupid accents, stupid Mellow Mushroom restaurants, backwards schools, landlocked by 15 other states flat flyover states, etc. situations with brutal ruthlessness too. Don’t @ me.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom