OT - Snow Blowers | Syracusefan.com

OT - Snow Blowers

newmexicuse

All Conference
Yes, in the mountains here east of Albuquerque a snow blower is a necessity.

My old one has just become too unreliable for my long, steep, gravelly driveway, and it has too go. Regretfully, I am aging too ungracefully to rely upon the shovel when we get multiple inches.

I want to keep the tariff under $ 1K, but would like the best I can find in that price range.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...thx in advance !!!

I have a Poulan that served me well the last 3 winters here in Boston. I would certainly recommend it.

Back in the northern days, I had a Sears/Craftsman snow blower that I used for 10 years and sold to my neighbor in excellent running condition when I got smart and came south. I could make 8 foot walls on the side of my driveway with it.

Gravel is murder on a snowblower. Some things you want to look for...

1) Stay away from the Lowes/HomeDepot models. The versions of Ariens/John Deere equipment they sell are markedly cheaper than even similar models sold outside of the boxes. Thinner sheet metal, weaker welds.

2) Heavy steel augers. The thicker/heavier the augers, the better.

3) 8hp is the minimum...10 hp is the standard...13 hp is nice. Anything below 8hp is a toy.

4) The older (pre 1990's) Ariens models are FANTASTIC! The machines are built like tanks and use the tried-n-true tecumseh snow king engines. They are simple and built to last.

5) Having a headlight is not necessary, but its nice.

6) forget the hood. Having a snowhood is foolish. It will eventually get covered in snow and you'll end up chucking it anyways.

Gravel is murder on a snowblower. Some things you want to look for...

1) Stay away from the Lowes/HomeDepot models. The versions of Ariens/John Deere equipment they sell are markedly cheaper than even similar models sold outside of the boxes. Thinner sheet metal, weaker welds.

3) 8hp is the minimum...10 hp is the standard...13 hp is nice. Anything below 8hp is a toy.

5) Having a headlight is not necessary, but its nice.

Considering his budget is $1000 and under he is going to have to make some sacrifices. There is nothing wrong with the John Deere's sold at the Big Box stores. However you won't find one for under $1000. I have a big Troy Bilt from Lowes. Had it four years now and no problems at all. I have the 8 hp/28 inch cut with the electric start, headlight and heated hand grips. No problems at all for an upstate winter.

Because I'm such a loving, caring wife I gave my husband the snowblower I linked below for fathers day 2011. Of course we hit a unprecedented low in snowfall of only 50 inches that first year. However since then he's been able to appreciate my phenomenal generosity and thoughtfulness since we had about 116 inches last year. It has been great though, I've personally seen the fantastic job it does as I gaze out our front window.:rolleyes: Like realorange said above, they are workhorses. Good luck in your search.

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-26in...er-w-ez/p-07188691000P?prdNo=1#ReviewsSection

Last edited:
Ariens makes a GREAT blower. Look for a 24" model CAnt go wrong.. purchase from a dealer not Home Depot

I've got a Toro that I inherited when I bought my last house in 2002 that I can't seem to kill. I'm not sure I would recommend it, but for my next one, it's all about the options - being able to swing the discharge chute easily, etc.

orange79 said:
You're locked inside all winter watching SWAC and MEAC hoops anyway. Who needs to go outside?

Exactly. I literally have a $6 gas station shovel that barely does anything. Snow melts. No need to spend money on a plow. Might as well just throw it in the garbage. Waste

I have the Home Depot special "snow-tek" made by Aries. It's a fantastic snowblower from my experience. It has a 180cc motor on it with a 26" cut. I haven't had a problem with it yet and I've owned it for 4 yrs. I live on a corner lot, kind of, in my neighborhood and I get the brunt of the street snow from the plow trucks. It's been strong enough to knock it down so far even with the heavier wet snow. I bought it for $750

Exactly. I literally have a $6 gas station shovel that barely does anything. Snow melts. No need to spend money on a plow. Might as well just throw it in the garbage. Waste

Bingo! Well said. If the snow gets too bad I just put on some boots and stomp down a path to my car. Stomping typically does the trick till it melts.

Ghost said:
Bingo! Well said. If the snow gets too bad I just put on some boots and stomp down a path to my car. Stomping typically does the trick till it melts.

Thats why they invented 4 wheel drive. I never understood the snow blower infatuation. I mean people do realize that snow will melt right? You can just leave it.

simplicity...American made when I bought mine two years ago and has the heaviest gage steel on all the models priced for under a thousand. actually I didn't see any heavier at the retail stores plus I bought mine at a farm store. They sold a few brands but they said this was the best hands down and is the choice for most farms.

They run about a 100 more than the Chinese made ones that weigh 50lbs lighter.

Thats why they invented 4 wheel drive. I never understood the snow blower infatuation. I mean people do realize that snow will melt right? You can just leave it.
your wife must love you...

retro44 said:
your wife must love you...

She agrees and would kill me if i ever spent a dime on a blower

Does anyone know anything about maintenance issues? I got a blower last year and must have left a little gas in it. I now know that I should have put stabilizer in it. I am trying to avoid taking it to a random shop and getting ripped off.

Does anyone know anything about maintenance issues? I got a blower last year and must have left a little gas in it. I now know that I should have put stabilizer in it. I am trying to avoid taking it to a random shop and getting ripped off.
What's it doing?

Too many people coming in and out of my house (friends of my kid) that could slip and fall on the icy surface. As an Environmental Health and Safety professional, there is no way I could allow that to happen.