OT - Snow Blowers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT - Snow Blowers

Not starting. I put new gas in, and still does not start
you messing around with the choke position at all? Did you put stabilizer in the new gas?

Any noise being made? Clean out your contact for the spark plug just to be sure.

It sounds like it is sparking. I electric started it. I did not put stabilizer in the new gas. I am thinking about draining the gas again and putting in new gas with Stabil or Heet. I am not sure what the difference is

Thats why they invented 4 wheel drive. I never understood the snow blower infatuation. I mean people do realize that snow will melt right? You can just leave it.

Depends where you live. If you're not the kind of person willing to pay a premium for AWD, 6+ inches of snow means you're not getting the FWD, all-season tire having, sedan out of the driveway. That was the case for my dad in Blossvale, at least. Sure, you could shovel it, but driveways in the country are pretty big. You'd be out there for a couple hours, not to mention the mound of ice the plows leave at the end of the driveway for you.

It sounds like it is sparking. I electric started it. I did not put stabilizer in the new gas. I am thinking about draining the gas again and putting in new gas with Stabil or Heet. I am not sure what the difference is[

Things to try: 1) pump gas into ignition chamber two pumps 2)Put it on full choke 3) hit E-start until it engages if this does not work try some starter fluid sprayed into ignition chamber and repeat above. Previously mentioned spark plug cleaning is also a possibilty, but usually only needed if an older machine. You could also try adding some dry gas to tank, if your tank had any moisture in it that could be blocking gas flow especially if temp is below freezing point.
If you left regular gas with 10% ethanol in your machine the chance of getting moisture in the tank is higher because ethanol is hydroscopic(attracts water) a simple exchange for new gas usually cannot remove all the water, easiest attempt at a fix is adding dry gas.

Last edited:
Have you any idea what the street value of this mountain is?

qZf0c2.gif

I got my first snowblower this year. idk if it's a good model, idc how long it's gonna last. All i know is i'm a million times happier with it and so is my back.

It was the best Christmas present <3

Yes, in the mountains here east of Albuquerque a snow blower is a necessity.

My old one has just become too unreliable for my long, steep, gravelly driveway, and it has too go. Regretfully, I am aging too ungracefully to rely upon the shovel when we get multiple inches.

I want to keep the tariff under $ 1K, but would like the best I can find in that price range.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...thx in advance !!!
I went with these types from big box stores over the years and without fail they never really did the job. The heavy plowed snow at the end of the driveway won out and clogged the thing, the auger cotter pin broke if you hit the lightest rock, the Shute came off, the dam thing was so hard to maneuver in the snow that I wrestled with it more than I would shoveling, or the dang thing just won't start, etc. etc., etc.

I became so sick and tired of the Syracuse snow kicking my arse for 30 years that I finally got serious and had enough. So I went outside of the residential series of blowers and got the first ariens model into the professional/commercial series of blowers from a private dealer here in the Cuse. And I am happy to report for the last four years I have been absolutely kicking the butt of the winters snow now. No more am I behind the eight ball, it's no longer a competition, I win.

This behemoth is so amazingly awesome that I can't gush enough. Despite its bulk and very heavy weight It's so perfectly balanced that you can tilt it back easily with one hand. The new steering technology is so advanced that at driveways end you can turn it literally with one finger. Things got essentially cruise control, electric start, blows the snow up to 60 feet, keeps you warm with the hand warmed handles, protects you from blowing snow in its little protective cocoon.

It's so powerful at the end of the driveway that it goes through the highest and densest drifts like a hot knife through butter, and handl s the heaviest slushy wet snow with ease, not once in 4 years has it clogged. Huge gas tank, super bright halogen head light, never ever gets clogged, never breaks cotter pins even with hitting landscape bricks and has drift cutters so it never gets snagged on anything.

I no longer get concerned or worried with snow storms, and almost (repeat ALMOST!) look forward to snow storms since I know that I'll be kicking its arse now and not the other way around. Was way more expensive but in this climate it pays for itself many times over and never has the saying "you get what you pay for" been any truer than with this thing.

Ladies and gentlemen I present my new best winter friend for the past four years, the Ariens professional model hydro pro 28:
Ariens | Professional 28 Hydro EFI Snow Blower Model: 926068
Ariens | Professional Series Snow Blower Features & Models

Last edited:
Considering his budget is $1000 and under he is going to have to make some sacrifices. There is nothing wrong with the John Deere's sold at the Big Box stores. However you won't find one for under $1000. I have a big Troy Bilt from Lowes. Had it four years now and no problems at all. I have the 8 hp/28 inch cut with the electric start, headlight and heated hand grips. No problems at all for an upstate winter.
Glad to report five years later that I still have the same snowblower which is now 9 years old. Still runs like a charm.

massey Ferguson gc1710 TLB , I put my snow blower away this year its like 25 years old MTD 8hp 28" cut, still starts everytime with push button electric start, I just bougt the tractor for my summer land project, it pushes through snow like its not there. Im buying what they call edge tamers for the bucket so when i set the float it doesnt dig in as i have part gravel and part asphalt. so far so good , i go out start it, sit in the seat, put the bucket down and push. I even play around with the backhoe moving piles further back its good practice for the summer dirt work.

Thats why they invented 4 wheel drive. I never understood the snow blower infatuation. I mean people do realize that snow will melt right? You can just leave it.

This is the most "Marsh" thing I've ever heard

Back in the northern days, I had a Sears/Craftsman snow blower that I used for 10 years and sold to my neighbor in excellent running condition when I got smart and came south. I could make 8 foot walls on the side of my driveway with it.

Was your neighbor TJ?