OT: Southern Tier Flooding | Syracusefan.com

OT: Southern Tier Flooding

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
We were evacuated from our home in the Westover area of Johnson City at 1 a.m. yesterday morning. Stayed in Cortland over night and made our way up to Syracuse yesterday. Trying to get information regarding the status, particularly access via Main Street in Johnson City to the Westover area so we can determine whether or not we should try to get back home today. I know we have a number of posters in the area. First of all I hope you and yours are all safe and dry, second if you have any speicific information I'd sincerely appreciate it.

a road on a bridge collapsed yesterday from the flooding in rotterdam junction lock 9, no where near you but sh!ts crazy everywhere!

you probably know it already but this site seems to have up-to-date info, http://www.pressconnects.com/

i'm guessing that you are not going to be able to get back in today, maybe you should stay in syracuse and go to the game tomorrow, and plan on heading back saturday night or sunday morning.

Consigliere, my brother in law works in Westover and is unable to get to his office to check on things. I believe a chunk of 81 is closed from Exit 6 (Northgate area) to Marathon. Power and gas are shut off in evacuated areas, water still all around Wegman's over in Oakdale, and I believe Westover is lower in elevation than that. Traffic backed up on 81 from Nimmonsburg into PA. (according to WSKG). Finally, JC is under a boil water. There's no room at most of the shelters (BU events center & JCHS).

I'd stay put if I were you.

We were evacuated from our home in the Westover area of Johnson City at 1 a.m. yesterday morning. Stayed in Cortland over night and made our way up to Syracuse yesterday. Trying to get information regarding the status, particularly access via Main Street in Johnson City to the Westover area so we can determine whether or not we should try to get back home today. I know we have a number of posters in the area. First of all I hope you and yours are all safe and dry, second if you have any speicific information I'd sincerely appreciate it.
took a drive this morning and I know Harry L Drive is closed west of Oakdale ( Traditions area) and BAE is still under water..... these areas adjacent to Westover. Not sure if this helps any

The last time there was flooding like this, didn't a section of I-88 get washed away?

The last time there was flooding like this, didn't a section of I-88 get washed away?
Yes it did. 18 wheeler carrying mail was washed away. I-88 closed again because of landslide.

Part of I-88 was closed last week when a house came down the Schoharie River and hit the Interstate, it was closed for about 3 days.

Part of I-88 was closed last week when a house came down the Schoharie River and hit the Interstate, it was closed for about 3 days.

schoharie got hit hard recently :(

Thanks, all. Found out a litlle while ago our neighborhood is still inaccessible and without power and we've been advised to stay put until at least Sunday. Tough to not know what condition we'll find the house in, but I guess we'll get to the tailgate party early tomorrow!

Thanks, all. Found out a litlle while ago our neighborhood is still inaccessible and without power and we've been advised to stay put until at least Sunday. Tough to not know what condition we'll find the house in, but I guess we'll get to the tailgate party early tomorrow!
Good luck man, its gotta be a difficult time for you.

Speaking of the flooding, I'm coming up from NYC tomorrow and I normally cut through PA (80 to 380 to 81). I'm assuming the flooding hasn't affected any of the major thoroughfares? am I right on that? Just trying to figure out if I should plan an alternate route.

Hope its not too bad . We missed trouble by a couple hundred yards.

Speaking of the flooding, I'm coming up from NYC tomorrow and I normally cut through PA (80 to 380 to 81). I'm assuming the flooding hasn't affected any of the major thoroughfares? am I right on that? Just trying to figure out if I should plan an alternate route.
I believe u might hit a detour at exit 6 and 7. about 15 miles north of the Pa/ny border

don't mess with it, take the thruway instead the time difference isn't that much.

Thanks all -- good info. Sounds like the best bet is 87 to the Thruway then

Latest from a neighbor who got into the area on foot late yesterday is that it doesn't appear that the water was on the street and lawns but didn't appear that it got to the foundations of the houses in my immediate area. I'm sure I'll have plenty of water in my basement but nothing we can't handle. Still in a hotel in Syracuse and likely can't get in until late tomorrow at the earliest but for now, I've got a tailgate party to get to and a game to win! Go Orange!