OT-Stream any web content (ESPN3) to your TV | Syracusefan.com

OT-Stream any web content (ESPN3) to your TV

Depends on what other content they add. Right now this looks like it may be the wave of the future: http://www.roku.com/meet-roku

Roku - about $100 for the product, streaming sites like Netflix, Amazon Instant, Hulu, MLB, ACC, and a lot of other stuff.

I'm not clear on how this is any better than an $8 HDMI cable.

Well, it's wireless which opens up some possibilities. I'm considering getting one.

sweet...this is the exact device I have been waiting for...I will have to give this a try.

If you're just using your computer - it really isn't. But I think part of the appeal is being able to switch streaming from your smartphone and computer easily. I might check it out but the new WatchESPN on Apple TV looks just as good as watching through cable and will be my next purchase.

It's wireless and in theory any content that can be displayed in a Chrome tab can be pushed. It does seem like a cheap version of a Roku. Lots of people have mounted TV's. I am going to get one just to see.

in theory any content that can be displayed in a Chrome tab can be pushed.

Bingo. One thing I'm curious about is if it works like projector settings. Once my laptop is hooked up to this, can I treat my google tab push as one screen on the tv, and continue working on stuff on my laptop screen?

Bingo. One thing I'm curious about is if it works like projector settings. Once my laptop is hooked up to this, can I treat my google tab push as one screen on the tv, and continue working on stuff on my laptop screen?

I'd assume so since it says you can control it through your smart phone. Considering you can download Chrome for most smart phones, it shouldn't be a problem. Same with tablets if you have a tablet.

So would this work wirelessly with ... ahem, other types of "programming" one might come across by accident on the web?

I bought one so that I could stream Netflix and Google Play Movies from my tablet to my bedroom TV. I have Google TV in my living room but have been looking for an easy way to watch the same content in my bedroom. This accomplishes that task. No wire and no laptop.

the roku is wireless and does 100 more channels.. its a bit more portable and cheaper.

If you're looking to do this, there's another option that I've used for quite a while. It might be worth looking into depending on your setup and desires. There's a media server program called MediaMall PlayOn that runs on a desktop anywhere on your network that serves video content to many networked devices that you might already have on your tv (PS3, Roku, XBOX, Wii, etc). It serves Netflix, Hulu (the free, not paid), ESPN3 and tons of other content.

It might be a little more wife-and-kid-friendly as it shows up on your PS3 or Roku and it navigated and selected with a normal remote through that interface. It has tons of third-party plug ins for all kinds of content, including lets say content that is a little "gray-area" in terms of movies and tv. It also can play your local media files and music.

The drawback is that you can't simply pull up any website and play the video on it, so it's probably not an ideal Pron source (although I do believe there are Pron programming available). But on the other hand, historically, some sites like Hulu and others have blocked the ability to play on a device they way they play on a computer. I don't know if that is a factor with this.

Read a review of this thing here:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/24/4553368/hands-on-googles-35-chromecast-a-streaming-tv-stick

Sounds like the most appealing feature, playing browser video straight to the TV is not ready for prime time. The fact that it isn't a direct-play-from device setup, and is only running separate apps being launched from the phone, makes it a potentially very limited device. More content being available is going to be limited to how many providers build for it, at least until the direct browser play is working perfectly. Makes me wonder if it ever will. There are a million ways to watch Youtube and Netflix on your TV, I'm not seeing the real selling point here except that it's potentially simpler.

When you can literally watch any video anywhere that you can watch on a web browser on your tv, and in the same quality it's playing in the web browser, then they might be on to something. Until then, I can't see the upside over a Roku or many other devices. Especially if you've already got a PS3 or Xbox or connected TV.

I just used the browser on this LG smart TV to stream a, ahem, less than reputable Czech republic site, so I could catch up on Dexter.

Maybe they will figure on blocking that stuff out, but so far it is good. :cool:

I just used the browser on this LG smart TV to stream a, ahem, less than reputable Czech republic site, so I could catch up on Dexter.

Maybe they will figure on blocking that stuff out, but so far it is good. :cool:

Chances are, those kind of sites won't block that kind of use. But legit sights may.

Chromecast, similar to Apple AirPlay, also enables people to mirror Web sites visible in their browser on their TV screen. So users could watch videos or look at photos on the big screen, and they could theoretically watch TV shows accessible online, as on HBO Go. But expect pushback. Mr. Pichai said that media companies had the ability to block their content from Chromecast, which major broadcast networks did with Google TV.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/07/24/with-new-device-google-tries-again-on-internet-tv/?_r=0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom