OT- SU Mancave tips | Syracusefan.com

OT- SU Mancave tips

Orangezoo

In the wind
I am sure some of you have some really impressive SU rooms. Given CoVid-19 I have been trying to keep busy with indoor and outdoor projects. My latest project indoors is our 300 sq foot basement area that I am making a mancave/media room. Right now it is partially finished. We have a log cabin so the walls are all knotty pine/log interior wall planks. Other than that it is just concrete with radiant floor heating and then exposed unfinished ceiling. I am attacking the ceiling last but had some ideas/looking for tips on flooring.

I am doing kind of a multi theme with sports one side ( including an ACC football helmet wall almost complete) with a small dry bar and then movie stuff, car stuff etc otherwise. For flooring I am stuck. I have looked at indoor astro turf as a cool idea for part of it or indoor basketball court flooring tiles too but not sure how to make that "SU" as it seems silly unless it is properly branded. Is there anything that would stick/lay on or is already made with SU logos on it to use?

Lastly - for the ceiling it has exposed insulation now... part of me things doing something exposed would be cool but not sure what options would be that don't simply look unfinished. It has no duct work or anything that looks cool. Anyways I thought I would toss this out if anyone cares to share theirs or has any ideas.

I am sure some of you have some really impressive SU rooms. Given CoVid-19 I have been trying to keep busy with indoor and outdoor projects. My latest project indoors is our 300 sq foot basement area that I am making a mancave/media room. Right now it is partially finished. We have a log cabin so the walls are all knotty pine/log interior wall planks. Other than that it is just concrete with radiant floor heating and then exposed unfinished ceiling. I am attacking the ceiling last but had some ideas/looking for tips on flooring.

I am doing kind of a multi theme with sports one side ( including an ACC football helmet wall almost complete) with a small dry bar and then movie stuff, car stuff etc otherwise. For flooring I am stuck. I have looked at indoor astro turf as a cool idea for part of it or indoor basketball court flooring tiles too but not sure how to make that "SU" as it seems silly unless it is properly branded. Is there anything that would stick/lay on or is already made with SU logos on it to use?

Lastly - for the ceiling it has exposed insulation now... part of me things doing something exposed would be cool but not sure what options would be that don't simply look unfinished. It has no duct work or anything that looks cool. Anyways I thought I would toss this out if anyone cares to share theirs or has any ideas.
I salute you and your quest.

Here are some options. The fan cave ones are my favorites.

I spent most of my man cave budget on door locks

What are the dimensions of the 300 sq ft?

What are the dimensions of the 300 sq ft?

There is a 12x 20 section and then another 9x7 nook where I want to put the dry bar area. That is where I have the helmet wall etc.

I salute you and your quest.

Here are some options. The fan cave ones are my favorites.

Thanks a bunch! Google wasn't bringing this to me randomly!

I spent most of my man cave budget on door locks

Luckily where I am the only thing I need is enough ammo. If they are determined enough to target our house then any amount of door locks aren't making a difference. The benefits of living in the country for sure. That said we are good on locks but there was some money leftover for projects we have been saving. I have had to get creative after we have been helping family a lot given the wife and I still work and many don't have the luxury as small business owners here.

Luckily where I am the only thing I need is enough ammo. If they are determined enough to target our house then any amount of door locks aren't making a difference. The benefits of living in the country for sure. That said we are good on locks but there was some money leftover for projects we have been saving. I have had to get creative after we have been helping family a lot given the wife and I still work and many don't have the luxury as small business owners here.
I"m thinking he meant to keep the wife out.

I'd suggest something for the ceiling that will act as a sound buffer, so you don't get asked to turn the sound down, or to stop screaming at the TV during an SU game.

I'd suggest something for the ceiling that will act as a sound buffer, so you don't get asked to turn the sound down, or to stop screaming at the TV during an SU game.

Good call. Yeah luckily noise barrier is already perfect with the insulation. It just sucks how ugly it is. Exposed beams are far easier and cheaper to deal with, throw some paint and cool light fixtures and done.

Being a basement, I was always scared of the "worst case". So what wouldn't be damaged? The vinyl click tile "wood" flooring that is water proof would be a good option, although not Syracuse related. I decided to just paint my concrete, and then applied the wet look coating over it.

Also, as far as the ceiling goes, I didn't have room to do tiles in the conventional way. We opted to sheetrock it, and ran vinyl gutters under the pipes on a slight degree, so if there was a leak it would run to the unfinished side of the basement.
cave.jpg

Put the floor on the ceiling. Buy the cheapest artificial green grass indoor/outdoor carpeting from Home Depot etc, paint your own football field yard markers on it to proper scale and staple it up to the ceiling joists to cover the insulation. Can get 6-ft wide cut to length for about $3/lineal ft. Two 20-ft pieces and a few cans of spray paint and rolls of painters tape and you could do the whole thing for about $200.

I'd advise against the fake grass/astroturf option as it looks pretty terrible up close, and is uncomfortable to walk on (unless you wear shoes all the time in the house).

Basketball style parquet flooring would be pretty cool, just put a layer of orange paint around the outside with a baseline of white paint, lacquer over the top, and you don't even need the logos.

Being a basement, I was always scared of the "worst case". So what wouldn't be damaged? The vinyl click tile "wood" flooring that is water proof would be a good option, although not Syracuse related. I decided to just paint my concrete, and then applied the wet look coating over it.

Also, as far as the ceiling goes, I didn't have room to do tiles in the conventional way. We opted to sheetrock it, and ran vinyl gutters under the pipes on a slight degree, so if there was a leak it would run to the unfinished side of the basement.
View attachment 182110
Now that's a mancave, she's beautiful.

There is a 12x 20 section and then another 9x7 nook where I want to put the dry bar area. That is where I have the helmet wall etc.
Ok...so will the 12 X 20 have another function such as having TV area or pool table?

View attachment 182110

Love it. I was looking at the click tile flooring and also concrete paint. Love how yours looks.

Ok...so will the 12 X 20 have another function such as having TV area or pool table?

It will. TV area well at least seating. Going to do a projector and screen. To save space and so I can do 120" projector.

I'd advise against the fake grass/astroturf option as it looks pretty terrible up close, and is uncomfortable to walk on (unless you wear shoes all the time in the house).

Basketball style parquet flooring would be pretty cool, just put a layer of orange paint around the outside with a baseline of white paint, lacquer over the top, and you don't even need the logos.

Yeah that is kind of where I'm at. Either paint the floor and use some large rugs from the site tomcat linked or go with the parquet flooring. It is easy to install and cut from what I read. Also add a floor mat and boom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom