OT: SUNYAC Hockey Championship Plattsburgh@Oswego | Syracusefan.com

OT: SUNYAC Hockey Championship Plattsburgh@Oswego

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
I wanted to bring my boy to an Oswego game this year but his hockey schedule conflicts all the time. Cornell games are fun to go to at Lynah rink. Something about the old school feel of wood beams making it feel like your in a barn!

Or you could take a trip to Ithaca for Saturday's ECAC women's playoff game between Cornell and Colgate. It's game two (best of three) and starts at 4.

Cornell is top seed and has won 4 straight league titles. Cornell has also played in 3 straight Frozen Fours.

Cornell's goalie is a member of the US U22 team and is in the running for an Olympic berth. Cornell also has 7 players from Canada's U22 team that won the gold medal at the Meco Cup in Germany last month -- 3-4 of them are strong contenders for Canada's next Olympic team.

The atmosphere isn't exactly like it is for a men's game, but with an expected crowd of 2,000 or more it should be fun for both teams.

http://ecachockeyblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/rink-review-cornells-lynah-rink.html?m=1

http://www.nyhockeyjournal.com/news/2013/01/22_top_10_college_hockey_rinks.php

I bet that s a cool rink to watch a game in! i wish SU woukd bring D1 hockey there for the boys. the girls are fun to watch.

SU could be a national power in men's hockey.

SU could be a national power in men's hockey.
SU could very well be a national power in hockey. Syracuse really is a big hockey town. I didn't realize it until my son started playing 5 years ago. The university would have to upgrade Tennity to support the crowds...

Lov
Or you could take a trip to Ithaca for Saturday's ECAC women's playoff game between Cornell and Colgate. It's game two (best of three) and starts at 4.

Cornell is top seed and has won 4 straight league titles. Cornell has also played in 3 straight Frozen Fours.

Cornell's goalie is a member of the US U22 team and is in the running for an Olympic berth. Cornell also has 7 players from Canada's U22 team that won the gold medal at the Meco Cup in Germany last month -- 3-4 of them are strong contenders for Canada's next Olympic team.

The atmosphere isn't exactly like it is for a men's game, but with an expected crowd of 2,000 or more it should be fun for both teams.

http://ecachockeyblog.blogspot.com/2012/03/rink-review-cornells-lynah-rink.html?m=1

http://www.nyhockeyjournal.com/news/2013/01/22_top_10_college_hockey_rinks.php

Love watching Cornell hockey! It's to bad that I still have 8-10 years to wait for season tickets for the men's team. Plus with my boy playing all over the northeast and Canada plus my daughter starting this fall Ill have limited time.

crunch games are very entertaining and we have a great team this year...playoff hockey during May in Syracuse!!!

Title IX
I doubt it.

Title IX is why the wrestling program was shut down.

To add men's hockey you'd need $ and add another women's team.

For those in CNY...if the Louisville game isn't enough...take a short drive to Oswego for next Sat to see Plattsburgh St. take on Oswego St at 7pm.
http://athletics.oswego.edu/news/2013/2/21/MLAX_0221135901.aspx

These teams are two of the best in Division 3...they would give most Div 1 teams all they could handle. Oswego St. has one of the best arenas in Div 3...see link below.

http://athletics.oswego.edu/sports/2010/5/25/GEN_0525102523.aspx?id=99
Tho I'm A Laker fan Mark ,Their are 3 or 4 Teams better than OSU and Plattsburg. Utica has beaten OSU Twice and Plattsburg has beaten them Twice. Norwich and Wisconsin Eau-Claire are better. As far as the rink they were short sighted in their capacity and it is $10 a ticket for D-III

I doubt it.

Women's gymnastics...and ice hockey for men. Love to bring wrestling back but I think ice hockey has a better chance to get on TV.

Also on the Rink size at Oswego
I agree...I think 3500-4000 would be better than 2500-3000. I hear they get good crowds

Lov

Love watching Cornell hockey! It's to bad that I still have 8-10 years to wait for season tickets for the men's team. Plus with my boy playing all over the northeast and Canada plus my daughter starting this fall Ill have limited time.

We lucked out. We only had to wait 5 years for ours to come through. We had little problem sub-leasing tickets during our wait. Only issue was the big game weekends were not included.

With your kids schedule it's probably a good time to be doing your wait. There are almost always some single game tickets on the secondary market.

I'd love it if SU put out a hockey team. We get Michigan and Ohio state up here, SU @ UAF would be crazy

SU could very well be a national power in hockey. Syracuse really is a big hockey town. I didn't realize it until my son started playing 5 years ago. The university would have to upgrade Tennity to support the crowds...
Excellent hockey town. The Stars are a nationally competitive Midget program and they run a good Jr B program too. Off the top of my head I can think of kids from the Syracuse area (or who went through the Stars program) who are currently playing at Cornell, Colgate, RPI, Vermont, and Michigan.

Speaking of hockey...it looks like Utica might get an AHL hockey team. That will be great for the Crunch to have another nearby rival.

Went to the Cornell-RPI game in Ithaca on Friday, even for a team on an offseason (cornell is not good this year) they have great fan support and the atmosphere was fantastic. I think the support would be very good for a men's team here, too bad it probably won't happen unless title IX got repealed.

Excellent hockey town. The Stars are a nationally competitive Midget program and they run a good Jr B program too. Off the top of my head I can think of kids from the Syracuse area (or who went through the Stars program) who are currently playing at Cornell, Colgate, RPI, Vermont, and Michigan.
Given its location and the popularity of hockey in the area, it is pretty amazing Syracuse has never had a men's varsity hockey team.

You might think with SU joining the ACC, and all the additional revenue SU will receive from this, the chances to field a hockey team would be dramatically improved. Like Mark says, you would also have to add a women's sport to retain ratios and comply with Title IX (women's gymastics or women's golf makes sense).

The problem with this is the conference we are joining. If it were the B1G, hocley would be a total no brainer. But the ACC doesn't have hockey and never will (one of the reasons BC is such a red haired step child in it; their only decent sport is the only major sport the ACC does not compete in).

When SU joins the ACC in September, I believe it will be the only school in the conference that does not have a varsity baseball team. Even schools like BC and Pitt play baseball. I would imagine the ACC would really like Syracuse to move its club team up to varsity status.

But it is easy to see why SU dropped baseball even before Title IX caused so many men's sports to be discontinued across the nation. The weather in CNY, coupled with the early end of the spring semester for Syracuse makes for a situation where a Syracuse team would struggle to play more than a handful of home games in a given season.

Further, the quality of high school baseball in this area is exceedingly low (lacrosse dominates spring sports). Unlike hockey, I can't see baseball ever being a revenue generating sport at Syracuse.

It will be interesting to see what happens with varsity sports at Syracuse over the next 10 years.

I doubt it.

It's also why the baseball team went club status in 1972, same year Title IX went into effect.

I think you are saying the same thing I am. Because of Title IX, we would need to add a like number of women's scholarships. It makes it very expensive since you need to add two sports.

If the question was why has SU never had a D1 hockey team, that I don't know.

Soapbox time: I've always thought that revenue positive sports such as football should not count against the Title IX requirements since in most cases it makes the money and the 85 scholarships really screws the other mens sports.

I actually am a part of the live sports team for WTOP (Oswego student TV station) and will be working the hockey game this Saturday. Oswego lost the last two games to Plattsburgh, and both were fantastic games. I've always regretted not going to Syracuse because of the school spirit they have (didn't have the grades for Newhouse), even though Oswego students don't really show up to other sporting events, hockey games are obviously a huge deal, ESPECIALLY against Plattsburgh. So if you need something to do after the Louisville game for a reasonable price, I recommend going to the hockey game.