OT: SUNYAC Hockey Championship Plattsburgh@Oswego | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: SUNYAC Hockey Championship Plattsburgh@Oswego

I actually am a part of the live sports team for WTOP (Oswego student TV station) and will be working the hockey game this Saturday. Oswego lost the last two games to Plattsburgh, and both were fantastic games. I've always regretted not going to Syracuse because of the school spirit they have (didn't have the grades for Newhouse), even though Oswego students don't really show up to other sporting events, hockey games are obviously a huge deal, ESPECIALLY against Plattsburgh. So if you need something to do after the Louisville game for a reasonable price, I recommend going to the hockey game.

Jeremy L. post here more. We have a lot of Oswego St. grads here (myself included). I can bore of the days when I would actually go out and sit in my car (more than once) in the parking lot by Seneca to listen to WSYR and Joel Mareniss call a Cuse game. My biggest regret is not getting season tickets with my Dad and driving down for every home game at Archbold/Dome (77-80).

Jeremy...do the weekend hockey games generally sell out?

BTW, Plattsburgh was one of our huge riivals in hockey back then, too.

Jeremy L. post here more. We have a lot of Oswego St. grads here (myself included). I can bore of the days when I would actually go out and sit in my car (more than once) in the parking lot by Seneca to listen to WSYR and Joel Mareniss call a Cuse game. My biggest regret is not getting season tickets with my Dad and driving down for every home game at Archbold/Dome (77-80).

Jeremy...do the weekend hockey games generally sell out?

I've had Syracuse season tickets (football and basketball since 2003). Transferred to Oswego in 2011 and lived in Cayuga. Every home football and basketball game I would drive back to Baldwinsville (my hometown) so I could get a good home cooked meal, fresh laundry, and a trip up to the Dome with my Dad. I could never sit in my car to listen to every game (especially in the winter!)

As for as hockey games, it depends on the opponent. Most of the time, you can get tickets when you walk into the Campus Center and walk right into the arena. But for Plattsburgh, they may sell out a couple days before. The arena only holds around 3,000 people, and 1,000 of those are made up of students. Sometimes they will sell standing room only tickets. With Plattsburgh being such a huge rival, the earlier you get your tickets the better off you will be. To answer your question, only the Plattsburgh game is the one game that is close to selling out.

Thanks...I thought most games were close to sell outs...well maybe the arena is right sized for the School...a beautiful facility. We used to freeze our butts off at Romney.

Thanks...I thought most games were close to sell outs...well maybe the arena is right sized for the School...a beautiful facility. We used to freeze our butts off at Romney.

They are actually cleaning up Romney and using it for Track & Field. One thing that is disappointing is that the basketball team doesn't get enough support. I also call basketball games for WTOP and you rarely see students at those games. I wish they could play basketball games in the Campus Center like many professional teams do. Cover up the ice and put the hardwood over it.

They are actually cleaning up Romney and using it for Track & Field. One thing that is disappointing is that the basketball team doesn't get enough support. I also call basketball games for WTOP and you rarely see students at those games. I wish they could play basketball games in the Campus Center like many professional teams do. Cover up the ice and put the hardwood over it.
Jeremy, that's great. I covered the hockey team for the Oswegonian for a while when I was there. The team was good then but not on a national scale like now. Linda Cohn played on the girls team and I was knew her so we used to go watch her play. She played goalie but I think one year she played wing or defense. Linda and me and a couple buddies use to go down to Buckland's to watch the Rangers play as they were the only place that had cable. In our dorm room we could get Hockey Night in Canada, out of Kingston, but the picture was pretty blurry.

The basketball team was terrible. I believe they set a D-3 record for most consecutive losses and then they finally fired the coach and brought in Mike Deane. He did a nice job in the year or two he was there. It's good to see the basketball program do much better.

The Oswegonian is still holding strong! WNYO is still the main source of hockey coverage (cover both home and away games). I'm hoping WTOP gets recognition by the time I graduate. I'll be doing play-by-play and color commentary for hockey and basketball next year (Senior year) and praying I can get some type of internship at a big network or professional team before I graduate. My goal is to become a play-by-play announcer for college basketball, and trust me I won't become the next Doris Burke ;)

Given its location and the popularity of hockey in the area, it is pretty amazing Syracuse has never had a men's varsity hockey team.

You might think with SU joining the ACC, and all the additional revenue SU will receive from this, the chances to field a hockey team would be dramatically improved. Like Mark says, you would also have to add a women's sport to retain ratios and comply with Title IX (women's gymastics or women's golf makes sense).

The problem with this is the conference we are joining. If it were the B1G, hocley would be a total no brainer. But the ACC doesn't have hockey and never will (one of the reasons BC is such a red haired step child in it; their only decent sport is the only major sport the ACC does not compete in).

When SU joins the ACC in September, I believe it will be the only school in the conference that does not have a varsity baseball team. Even schools like BC and Pitt play baseball. I would imagine the ACC would really like Syracuse to move its club team up to varsity status.

But it is easy to see why SU dropped baseball even before Title IX caused so many men's sports to be discontinued across the nation. The weather in CNY, coupled with the early end of the spring semester for Syracuse makes for a situation where a Syracuse team would struggle to play more than a handful of home games in a given season.

Further, the quality of high school baseball in this area is exceedingly low (lacrosse dominates spring sports). Unlike hockey, I can't see baseball ever being a revenue generating sport at Syracuse.

It will be interesting to see what happens with varsity sports at Syracuse over the next 10 years.

Baseball sucks.

My guess is the average age of the Oswego and Utica teams is 26. Bastards.