OT - SUV Tires | Syracusefan.com

OT - SUV Tires

newmexicuse

All Conference
It is time to replace the tires on my 2005 Honda Pilot. I will be looking for an all-season tire.

Most of my driving is highway, but I do light off-roading (driving on some gravel & dirt roads - generally no rock crawling) and I do need a tire that is decent in snow. So my priorities would be:

Highway handling and smoothness
Good snow grip
Durability ( I would like to be able to plan on getting at least 40 to 50K miles on a set)
Price...of course

Any suggestions would be appreciated for both good and bad.

Thx in advance !!

All season is a massive compromise. Best solution there is

A set of Summer rubber and a set of studless Ice and snow winter tires. Mount the winter tires on steel wheels

You can thank me when you can actually drive in NY winters and stay on the wet roads in summer

Best place EVA for Tires and wheels

Tirerack

All season is a massive compromise. Best solution there is

A set of Summer rubber and a set of studless Ice and snow winter tires. Mount the winter tires on steel wheels

You can thank me when you can actually drive in NY winters and stay on the wet roads in summer

Best place EVA for Tires and wheels

Tirerack

I am not in NY I am in NM, & while we do get some snow it is nothing like upsate NY.

It is time to replace the tires on my 2005 Honda Pilot. I will be looking for an all-season tire.

Most of my driving is highway, but I do light off-roading (driving on some gravel & dirt roads - generally no rock crawling) and I do need a tire that is decent in snow. So my priorities would be:

Good snow grip
Durability ( I would like to be able to plan on getting at least 40 to 50K miles on a set)
Price...of course

Thx in advance !!
If you want go to tirerack.com , they rate tires and if you want, you can even order them from their site. It's a good site for everything about tires. They will match the best tires for your car, your location and give info on prices. There's also a blog where people give their own experiences.

My bad it was tirerack.com so I edited it from tire.com - sorry.

i have a acura mdx which is very similar to your pilot and i replaced my tires with cooper cs4, good reviews and great tire. go to mavis tire, cheapest prices you will find guaranteed !

FWIW, based on your criteria, I've had luck with Dunlop Signature T. They're sort of a compromise between price, traction and treadwear.

Tirerack.com has comprehensive survey results:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/index.jsp

Good snow grip
Price...of course

Thx in advance !!

Thanks to everybody for their helpful responses.

I have a local tire dealer that includes balancing, mounting, and free lifetime rotations, so I prefer to give him the business if his prices are close. I figure all of that plus no shipping is worth about the $ 30/tire more he charges as compared with mail ordering them in.

Anyways, he recommended the General Grabber HTS, which were very highly rated at the Tirerack Site (4 out of 57 in their category) & considerably less expensive as compared to the rating for the Top Three shown.

So, I am going with the Generals - extra bene, I believe they are made in the good ol USA !!

If you have enough snow and rain that it is important to you, the best all season you can buy are Nokian WRG2's. Hands down, you will never find a better tire for those conditions. They also will last a long time and improve your mpg. Caveat, they aren't cheap.