OT: Syracuse Airport | Syracusefan.com

OT: Syracuse Airport

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Slowly some changes are happening. It isn't looking as dingy. I flew in last week and noticed some improvements. Having the ability to scan smart phones and Pre-checked TSA lines is very nice.

But the airport needs Southwest. Adding more Allegiant flights would be a plus or bringing in Spirit. More Jet Blue flights would also be huge. These would appeal to more Canadians from Kingston and Ottawa to make the drive and allow Cuse to grab more business from folks living near Rochester, Binghamton, etc...

Johnny Rockets is coming. I generally favor local chains but JR's are decent (not great) at giving you a burger/shake at a decent price point.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/05/johnny_rockets_syracuse_hancock_airport.html

Slowly some changes are happening. It isn't looking as dingy. I flew in last week and noticed some improvements. Having the ability to scan smart phones and Pre-checked TSA lines is very nice.

But the airport needs Southwest. Adding more Allegiant flights would be a plus or bringing in Spirit. More Jet Blue flights would also be huge. These would appeal to more Canadians from Kingston and Ottawa to make the drive and allow Cuse to grab more business from folks living near Rochester, Binghamton, etc...

Johnny Rockets is coming. I generally favor local chains but JR's are decent (not great) at giving you a burger/shake at a decent price point.

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/05/johnny_rockets_syracuse_hancock_airport.html

Good points, progress has been made.

With SU joining the ACC, I was hoping there would be a lot more flights into ACC hub cities. I don't think that has really happened. I am holding out hope that over time, this will happen.

What they need is to spring for a couple employees at the terminal exits so passengers don't have to wait 20 minutes as they pass, in groups of 3, through those weird portal things. Such a bad idea.
I think we have the only airport in the world, nay, the universe, with those things.

The reactions when I walk up to the weird portals with friends from big cities is priceless. (What is this ? Back-water-piece-of--hick-town-cow herder-cow-plop-third-world-trailer-trash-crystal-meth-wife-beater-mullet-head-red-neck. Ridiculous!).

Someone should just set up a video camera with sound to record this. Could be a contender for America's Funniest Videos, right up there with the angry cat.

Southwest used to fly into Albany (with the coolest jet bridge ever - it forked so people could board through the front and side doors simultaneously) and Buffalo. AirTran used to do at least Buffalo and Rochester. I'm not sure what routes SW is running after the merger, but it seemed like there was a conscious decision that people from SYR were expcted to drive east or west. I don't know if there is enough demand to add a third (or fourth) city along the Thruway.

I think we have the only airport in the world, nay, the universe, with those things.

The reactions when I walk up to the weird portals with friends from big cities is priceless. (What is this ? Back-water-piece-of--hick-town-cow herder-cow-plop-third-world-trailer-trash-crystal-meth-wife-beater-mullet-head-red-neck. Ridiculous!).

Someone should just set up a video camera with sound to record this. Could be a contender for America's Funniest Videos, right up there with the angry cat.

I have flown into Syracuse many times and have always walked unobstucted to baggage claim. I do not know what you guys are referring to, honestly. I mean there are the portals but i hve never been stopped.

You degenerate.

I don't mind flying cheap when I go home. I always splurge the extra bucks to be able to board first and get free drinks. It makes it worth it.

Just a few notes. Taking my family round trip to Orlando for less then 200 RT. Flying from Lehigh Valley on Allegiant. They will be going from Syr to Myrtle Beach for cheap. Could be an option for Clemson. Right now just 2 flights a week but if they have success they may well increase flights. Tom, I could take a couple of days golfing in MB then on to Clemson!

Just a few notes. Taking my family round trip to Orlando for less then 200 RT. Flying from Lehigh Valley on Allegiant. They will be going from Syr to Myrtle Beach for cheap. Could be an option for Clemson. Right now just 2 flights a week but if they have success they may well increase flights. Tom, I could take a couple of days golfing in MB then on to Clemson!
I like where your head is at!

javadoc said:
Southwest used to fly into Albany (with the coolest jet bridge ever - it forked so people could board through the front and side doors simultaneously) and Buffalo. AirTran used to do at least Buffalo and Rochester. I'm not sure what routes SW is running after the merger, but it seemed like there was a conscious decision that people from SYR were expcted to drive east or west. I don't know if there is enough demand to add a third (or fourth) city along the Thruway.

SW is still flying out of ROC BUF & ALB

TexanMark said:

Middle Ages is going to have a restaurant/bar there in the near future.

What they need is to spring for a couple employees at the terminal exits so passengers don't have to wait 20 minutes as they pass, in groups of 3, through those weird portal things. Such a bad idea.

Actually you always have the option of turning down the hallway and exiting out the middle by a TSA agent sitting on his/her butt. The Star Trek Chambers are actually an added benefit. They also will pay for themselves by saving two extra TSA agents manning the exits 20 hours a day.

Last edited:

Allegiant service to Myrtle Beach is seasonal only through mid/late August. It is ridiculously cheap on some flights. I saw one ways for $51. I know you can get upcharged...but anyone wanting to take a short vacation to the SC/NC coast should look into it. If Syracuse can fill the jets...the service can go year round. Myrtle Beach is is like 4 hours to Wake Forest and Clemson.

Syracuse IAP/Destiny and the local motels need to encourage more Canadians to fly out of Syracuse. Having a year round nonstop to Myrtle Beach and Tampa/St. Pete on Allegiant really helps. Big Canadian destinations.

Last edited:

The best thing about that airport is that food court with the local restaurants.

My kingdom for good, cheap, direct flights from DFW to Syracuse...or, if we're talking Southwest, Love Field to Syracuse. JetBlue flies out of DFW now, but I believe it only goes to Boston, which is nice since that's where my family is now, but it sucks otherwise.

Actually you always have the option of turning down the hallway and exiting out the middle by a TSA agent sitting on his/her butt. The Star Trek Chambers are actually an added benefit. They also will pay for themselves by saving two extra TSA agents manning the exits 20 hours a day.

That's good to know (and makes a lot more sense).

The idea of replacing TSA employees with machines is admirable; on paper, it's super. In reality, the portals are inefficient and, for this impatient air traveler, unpleasant. After being crammed into coach between the Fingernail Clipper and the Hair Groomer, behind the Loud Talker and in front of the Incessant Cougher, the last thing I want is to be wait in a line to leave the terminal and then get stuffed into another small space with these same folks.

Love that we have the option to exit through the main entrance (especially if we don't have checked baggage). Hopefully they'll get a little signage to let everyone know, but I'll certainly go toward that area after my next Hancock flight.

The best thing about that airport is that food court with the local restaurants.

I haven't seen an airport do "local" better than Austin. Just awesome restaurants...but sometimes I still want a McDonalds too. LOL

My kingdom for good, cheap, direct flights from DFW to Syracuse...or, if we're talking Southwest, Love Field to Syracuse. JetBlue flies out of DFW now, but I believe it only goes to Boston, which is nice since that's where my family is now, but it sucks otherwise.
That daily nonstop American ran from DFW to SYR was awesome...wish they would bring it back.

TM - Syracuse used to be a municipal run airport that the city owned. However, with that ownership, the city had to employ city services to run the airport. Almost all security was run by the Syracuse Police and since it was outside of normal police work any police work provided at the airport was overtime work only. That an other costs were then charged to airlines on ticket pricing to pay for those excess costs. It was my understanding that the extra cost to the ticket and gate pricing for airlines added hundreds of dollars to cost per passenger.

Either last year or year before, the city finally realized it couldn't sustain a municipal run airport and led by Major Minor (which I give her lots of credit here), got the city council to change to an authority run airport. The savings for the police-security forces alone were in the multi millions.

Now we are starting to see Syracuse Hancock being run as a business, not run as a government agency. Here is an example of the dividing line that should exist between a government run function and a private-public run business. Eventually as costs are continued to be cut for airlines as well as the airport itself becomes more attractive from an image and service perspective, we should see more airlines like a Southwest or Frontier enter our market space as the ROI becomes justified to a carrier like that.

By the way, the city does receive income now versus being a money losing proposition.

I agree Frontier would be another awesome airline. BTW, I know folks love to complain about the small 34-90 seat commuters that are the norm in Syracuse...but give me 4-6 flights a day to a hub over 2-3 flights a day anytime.

TM - Syracuse used to be a municipal run airport that the city owned. However, with that ownership, the city had to employ city services to run the airport. Almost all security was run by the Syracuse Police and since it was outside of normal police work any police work provided at the airport was overtime work only. That an other costs were then charged to airlines on ticket pricing to pay for those excess costs. It was my understanding that the extra cost to the ticket and gate pricing for airlines added hundreds of dollars to cost per passenger.

Either last year or year before, the city finally realized it couldn't sustain a municipal run airport and led by Major Minor (which I give her lots of credit here), got the city council to change to an authority run airport. The savings for the police-security forces alone were in the multi millions.

Now we are starting to see Syracuse Hancock being run as a business, not run as a government agency. Here is an example of the dividing line that should exist between a government run function and a private-public run business. Eventually as costs are continued to be cut for airlines as well as the airport itself becomes more attractive from an image and service perspective, we should see more airlines like a Southwest or Frontier enter our market space as the ROI becomes justified to a carrier like that.

By the way, the city does receive income now versus being a money losing proposition.

I agree, Miner made a good call here, one that was likely politically bad for her. Have to believe this was not very unpopular with the police force and other long time city employees who worked at the airport and were likely strong Miner supporters.

Let's hope the new approach and management can get more options, more airlines and lower prices. It can't get much worse than it is already.

TexanMark said:
Slowly some changes are happening. It isn't looking as dingy. I flew in last week and noticed some improvements. Having the ability to scan smart phones and Pre-checked TSA lines is very nice. But the airport needs Southwest. Adding more Allegiant flights would be a plus or bringing in Spirit. More Jet Blue flights would also be huge. These would appeal to more Canadians from Kingston and Ottawa to make the drive and allow Cuse to grab more business from folks living near Rochester, Binghamton, etc... Johnny Rockets is coming. I generally favor local chains but JR's are decent (not great) at giving you a burger/shake at a decent price point. http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/05/johnny_rockets_syracuse_hancock_airport.html

More Jet Blue would be my favorite improvement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom