OT: Syracuse Airport | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Syracuse Airport

My dream would be Jet Blue direct from DIA to Cuse. Then Frontier.

eao1115 said:
What airport is DIA? (just curious)

Probably Denver

I think we have the only airport in the world, nay, the universe, with those things.

The reactions when I walk up to the weird portals with friends from big cities is priceless. (What is this ? Back-water-piece-of--hick-town-cow herder-cow-plop-third-world-trailer-trash-crystal-meth-wife-beater-mullet-head-red-neck. Ridiculous!).

Someone should just set up a video camera with sound to record this. Could be a contender for America's Funniest Videos, right up there with the angry cat.

You know what's even better? When two of the portals stop working, or work intermittently. I came in last week and two of them had problems with the sensors telling them to open and let people in. Someone would stand there for like a minute with no response, then move away and climb in the other one. About 20 seconds later the door would open mysteriously and then close again. Those things really do suck. All it's going to take is for some old lady to get caught in one and their days will be done.

Allegiant service to Myrtle Beach is seasonal only through mid/late August. It is ridiculously cheap on some flights. I saw one ways for $51. I know you can get upcharged...but anyone wanting to take a short vacation to the SC/NC coast should look into it. If Syracuse can fill the jets...the service can go year round. Myrtle Beach is is like 4 hours to Wake Forest and I think 3 hours to Clemson.

Syracuse IAP/Destiny and the local motels need to encourage more Canadians to fly out of Syracuse. Having a year round nonstop to Myrtle Beach and Tampa/St. Pete on Allegiant really helps. Big Canadian destinations.
only problem with Allegiant is when they have weather or plane problems you can easily get stuck for days since they have no fall back planes or pilots

rocklloyd said:
Agree. Have taken that flight many, many times.

Same here when it was running. Now I avoid having to go to FW.

TexanMark said:
Slowly some changes are happening. It isn't looking as dingy. I flew in last week and noticed some improvements. Having the ability to scan smart phones and Pre-checked TSA lines is very nice. But the airport needs Southwest. Adding more Allegiant flights would be a plus or bringing in Spirit. More Jet Blue flights would also be huge. These would appeal to more Canadians from Kingston and Ottawa to make the drive and allow Cuse to grab more business from folks living near Rochester, Binghamton, etc... Johnny Rockets is coming. I generally favor local chains but JR's are decent (not great) at giving you a burger/shake at a decent price point. http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/05/johnny_rockets_syracuse_hancock_airport.html

It's been over ten years since I graduated at SU and I still can't get a direct flight from Houston!

I agree, Miner made a good call here, one that was likely politically bad for her. Have to believe this was not very unpopular with the police force and other long time city employees who worked at the airport and were likely strong Miner supporters.

Let's hope the new approach and management can get more options, more airlines and lower prices. It can't get much worse than it is already.
The police were pissed because they all use to pad their retirements working overtime. It was shameful.

Apologies to any city firefighters and police officers that might post here, but it's also a major reason why the city is broke right now.
Agreed...a real racket...organized crime against the taxpayers. Working the airport is "cush" duty too. Somone correct me if I'm wrong but cops would accelerate their retirements with doing overtime and could retire around 50 making $100k a year.

Agreed...a real racket...organized crime against the taxpayers. Working the airport is "cush" duty too. Somone correct me if I'm wrong but cops would accelerate their retirements with doing overtime and could retire around 50 making $100k a year.
The way I understand it, and I don't knock the police or firefighters who do it, I blame the system, but they would do it in the last 3 years before their retirement as the state pension system was an average of their last 3 years of pay. Some of the guys were making more than the governor etc etc or so so Urban myth goes. Just as an FYI I would have done it too. State negotiated a lousy retirement system, it's on them.

The way I understand it, and I don't knock the police or firefighters who do it, I blame the system, but they would do it in the last 3 years before their retirement as the state pension system was an average of their last 3 years of pay. Some of the guys were making more than the governor etc etc or so so Urban myth goes. Just as an FYI I would have done it too. State negotiated a lousy retirement system, it's on them.
Exactly. They were just playing by the rules. Lousy ones at that.

Exactly. They were just playing by the rules. Lousy ones at that.

Yeah I wasn't placing blame on them for taking advantage of it. I probably would too, if given the option. Just a crap system though, that has proven to be unsustainable (shocking).

Yeah I wasn't placing blame on them for taking advantage of it. I probably would too, if given the option. Just a crap system though, that has proven to be unsustainable (shocking).

I'll blame them.

Greed isn't good, especially if it harms others.

Like the Detroit situation on a smaller scale, it's unacceptable that the city has to suffer because a bunch of non-residents chose to pad their already generous salaries. It's disappointing that the city negotiated lousy contracts, it's worse still that the state doesn't allow cities to enforce residency requirements against police and firefighters, and the greed of those employees -- while legal -- is indefensible as far as I'm considered. Selfish and wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom