OT: Tailgate Basics For Newbies | Syracusefan.com

OT: Tailgate Basics For Newbies

TexanMark

Tailgate Guru
Cuse fans, we fortunately are getting more folks buying season tickets. I figure we get some discussion going on things you need to acquire before September for your tailgate. Tailgating is wonderful way to spend time with friends before the game. I recommend arriving a minimum of 2 hours before kickoff.

Start small first but here are the minimum basics you need:

1. 10' x 10' canopy (straight legged canopies are more expensive but allow you to install sidewalls in cold/wet weather vs slanted legs)
If you plan to tailgate at NFL Stadiums I suggest the 8' x 10' sized canopy
2. Canopy weight plates (required on days when the winds are above 10 mph or you risk a tumbling airfoil)
3. Small propane Grill with metal table or stand
4. Medium Size Cooler
5. Plastic Clam Shell folding table

We have a more detailed discussion over here: Tailgating Tips + Gear Thread

If you have Amazon Prime

You need to fill them with sand or water.

I have these canopy weight plates below and they are awesome. Each is 50% heavier than the usual ones, They are stackable. You can mount two each on the upwind side of the canopy. Since they have male/female slots you can stack them securely.

https://www.amazon.com/US-Weight-Tailgater-No-Pinch-Installation/dp/B01MY4Z0GI/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=4OQZHDLZ21RQ&keywords=canopy+weight+plates&qid=1550101638&s=gateway&sprefix=canopy+wei,aps,443&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Last edited:
Spring is just around the corner...time to talk grills. I wanted to share some thoughts on two portable grills you should consider for for tailgate group.

TexanMark's First Choice

If you plan to cook for no more than 30 folks...both of these should work.

Overall, I like the Weber Q series the best.

I like the 1200 (Amazon $210) over the cheaper 1000 (Amazon $180). You get two little fold out tables and more importantly a grill temperature gauge. It is useful for monitoring the grill and can alert you to a problem quickly. Note: They make a 1200 in Orange as an option.

The larger 2200 even gives you more BTUs and cooking surface. Both are easy to transport. If your budget allows, definitely buy the larger 2200 (Amazon $270). It is bulkier and heavier but most adults of average strength and size should be able to handle it. Bad news: no Orange in the 2200.

You can buy for about $70 a portable cart for either grill. Weber offers lots of optional parts.

If you don't buy the cart, be sure to cook on a metal table. Do not cook on hard plastic tables.

Q Series | Gas Grills | Weber Grills

51190001AB_1800x1800.png

TexanMark's Second Choice

Coleman Roadtrip LXE Grill is a solid choice for those on a budget (Amazon $150). It does allow several options like a griddle plate and a burner ring. The Coleman LXX model has 2000 more BTUs. I've had both and they do not last as long as the Weber Q series. The Coleman's best advantage is the cart is built into the grill. It makes it handy for tailgates.

2000017439_h_2

The LXE and LXX grills are being phased out. Be on the lookout for a clearance deal on one.

They are bringing out the New Coleman 285. It looks essentially the same. I have never used it but it looks like it should be a fine replacement for the LXE/LXX Grills. The new grill offers Orange as a color option.

2000032831-285-Stand-Up-Coleman-Red-Side-View-Grill-Closed%20copy

Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-Up Propane Grill

Finally, be sure to buy one of those cheap tarps at WalMart, Big Lots, Harbor Freight, etc...line it over your trunk or SUV bed for grill transport. You definitely will want to dump your grease out of the trap and wipe down the inside to avoid grease dripping on said tarp.

All the grills can be easily modified to cook with a 20lbs propane tank versus the 1lbs Green spin on Propane cylinders.

If you are on a serious budget, you can start out with a small portable grill and use it with a table. This one looks like a very good value right now. This one comes with a full size propane tank connector. You would need to buy an adapter to use small disposable 1lbs cylinders.

Last edited:
Mark, you and your ilk have made the tailgating thing so easy it's spoiled the rest of us. Thanks for all your efforts. The various cooks at the Fine Tailgate come well-supplied and motivated. Cuseregular has flair, Jeremy is dedicated and creative, and there are many others I don't know as well but hope to eventually. I haven't made too many away games, but Mr. and Mrs. Crusty did a fine job in Charlottesville when Dungey made one of his famous leaps. Great event. I hope to arrange my fall to be in NY, with my season ticket in 302, and will get a new canopy along the way. Kudos to all of you that actively promote gatherings of SU fans. You've made many lives richer for the experience...

Mark, you and your ilk have made the tailgating thing so easy it's spoiled the rest of us. Thanks for all your efforts. The various cooks at the Fine Tailgate come well-supplied and motivated. Cuseregular has flair, Jeremy is dedicated and creative, and there are many others I don't know as well but hope to eventually. I haven't made too many away games, but Mr. and Mrs. Crusty did a fine job in Charlottesville when Dungey made one of his famous leaps. Great event. I hope to arrange my fall to be in NY, with my season ticket in 302, and will get a new canopy along the way. Kudos to all of you that actively promote gatherings of SU fans. You've made many lives richer for the experience...
Mr and Mrs Crusty are the Best.

Virginia was my first away game tailgate and was a ton of fun; unlike the end of that game. But I will always remember that first leap.

I still remember meeting TexanMark and the crew when we were down in FSU and I came around. It was so cozy and friendly and it made me truly happy to be apart of this group here. I’ll never forget that memory and I can’t wait to meet you all again when the tailgate makes the trip down to Tallahassee.

I still remember meeting TexanMark and the crew when we were down in FSU and I came around. It was so cozy and friendly and it made me truly happy to be apart of this group here. I’ll never forget that memory and I can’t wait to meet you all again when the tailgate makes the trip down to Tallahassee.
We'll see you in late October. You'll meet my Weber 2200 too!

When will the 2200 make it's Fine Mess debut? I want to see this thing. I may get one if I have any money left after my parking fee.

You'll have to come to either the FSU or Duke road trips. It is down in Florida. You can see one at ACE Hardware. I also, think Home Depot and/or Lowe's carry them.

This is our 10th year tailgating up on the hill and concur on the Weber grill. We've also had the Coleman and a Kingsford charcoal grill that was a piece of crap. Also there are some good tips in this article from buzzfeed, some are certainly no brainers but I liked #17 & 18. I'll add that having unscented baby wipes are a must

41 Tailgating Tips That Are Borderline Genius

Thanks Kelly for the article...so happy I didn't have to do 41 clicks

I love the suggestion about chilling your cans first before putting in the cooler. It is important to have cold drinks when you arrive for early season games. Your ice will last longer too.

The mini first-aid kit is genius. Several times I know someone has cut themselves with a knife or scrapped a leg during set-up.

I loved #17 the hand washing station. I think we'll do that for the Fine Mess this Fall.

Thanks Kelly for the article...so happy I didn't have to do 41 clicks

I love the suggestion about chilling your cans first before putting in the cooler. It is important to have cold drinks when you arrive for early season games. Your ice will last longer too.

The mini first-aid kit is genius. Several times I know someone has cut themselves with a knife or scrapped a leg during set-up.

I loved #17 the hand washing station. I think we'll do that for the Fine Mess this Fall.
That's high praise coming from the syracusefan GTAT (Mark Greatest Tailgater

I bought this grill at Cabelas on sale for the Holiday. Got it for camping and for tailgating at Skytop.

Camp Chef Pro90X Triple Burner Stove - Item# 1463939

Got the grill, 2 burner grill box and the 2 burner griddle for 258 including tax. Was a deal I couldn't pass up, the grill is normally $329 by itself.
Looks awesome and a ton of BTUs...for a group of 60 or so? How big of a group would you fell comfortable using the grill?

Looks awesome and a ton of BTUs...for a group of 60 or so? How big of a group would you fell comfortable using the grill?
I haven't used it yet, still in the box. For camping I will use it for anywhere from 5-10 people. I also have a 1 year old Coleman Road Trip that I bring and use for small numbers of tailgaters/Campers.

Our tailgate group is typically from 15-30 on any given Saturday and we have one of the 4-Burner Blackstone flat-top grills. Along with the Road Trip it has worked well up until now.

I wanted the Camp Chef for the horsepower, especially when it gets windy at Skytop. 60K BTU's will blast through the wind gusts and heat anything.

I personally have cooked for up to 60 and I would feel comfortable doing that on the Camp Chef.

You'll have to come to either the FSU or Duke road trips. It is down in Florida. You can see one at ACE Hardware. I also, think Home Depot and/or Lowe's carry them.
I have the Weber 2200 for Camping. Love the thing. And I almost pulled the trigger on this for Camping as well. I have a regular Traeger pellet grill at home and love it as well. This is the tabletop version for Camping and tailgating. I’m eventually going to get one.
931313F2-F11B-4876-A927-7B87A53DE115.jpeg

I haven't used it yet, still in the box. For camping I will use it for anywhere from 5-10 people. I also have a 1 year old Coleman Road Trip that I bring and use for small numbers of tailgaters/Campers.

Our tailgate group is typically from 15-30 on any given Saturday and we have one of the 4-Burner Blackstone flat-top grills. Along with the Road Trip it has worked well up until now.

I wanted the Camp Chef for the horsepower, especially when it gets windy at Skytop. 60K BTU's will blast through the wind gusts and heat anything.

I personally have cooked for up to 60 and I would feel comfortable doing that on the Camp Chef.
Great point on the wind...we get it in the Fine Lot and performance really degrades on the 20K BTU units.

Spring is just around the corner...time to talk grills. I wanted to share some thoughts on two portable grills you should consider for for tailgate group.

TexanMark's First Choice

If you plan to cook for no more than 30 folks...both of these should work.

Overall, I like the Weber Q series the best.

I like the 1200 (Amazon $210) over the cheaper 1000 (Amazon $180). You get two little fold out tables and more importantly a grill temperature gauge. It is useful for monitoring the grill and can alert you to a problem quickly. Note: They make a 1200 in Orange as an option.

The larger 2200 even gives you more BTUs and cooking surface. Both are easy to transport. If your budget allows, definitely buy the larger 2200 (Amazon $270). It is bulkier and heavier but most adults of average strength and size should be able to handle it. Bad news: no Orange in the 2200.

You can buy for about $70 a portable cart for either grill. Weber offers lots of optional parts.

If you don't buy the cart, be sure to cook on a metal table. Do not cook on hard plastic tables.

Q Series | Gas Grills | Weber Grills

51190001AB_1800x1800.png

TexanMark's Second Choice

Coleman Roadtrip LXE Grill is a solid choice for those on a budget (Amazon $150). It does allow several options like a griddle plate and a burner ring. The Coleman LXX model has 2000 more BTUs. I've had both and they do not last as long as the Weber Q series. The Coleman's best advantage is the cart is built into the grill. It makes it handy for tailgates.

2000017439_h_2

The LXE and LXX grills are being phased out. Be on the lookout for a clearance deal on one.

They are bringing out the New Coleman 285. It looks essentially the same. I have never used it but it looks like it should be a fine replacement for the LXE/LXX Grills. The new grill offers Orange as a color option.

2000032831-285-Stand-Up-Coleman-Red-Side-View-Grill-Closed%20copy

Coleman RoadTrip 285 Portable Stand-Up Propane Grill

Finally, be sure to buy one of those cheap tarps at WalMart, Big Lots, Harbor Freight, etc...line it over your trunk or SUV bed for grill transport. You definitely will want to dump your grease out of the trap and wipe down the inside to avoid grease dripping on said tarp.

All the grills can be easily modified to cook with a 20lbs propane tank versus the 1lbs Green spin on Propane cylinders.

If you are on a serious budget, you can start out with a small portable grill and use it with a table. This one looks like a very good value right now. This one comes with a full size propane tank connector. You would need to buy an adapter to use small disposable 1lbs cylinders.

WRONG WRONG WRONG and MORE WRONG

You are tailgating, now is the time to go back to charcoal. You can get a Weber Smokey joe for like $20

1551367501164.jpeg

If you don’t want to bend over and you ha e a little more room, for like $80 upgrade to this...

1551367625277.jpeg

Get Kingsford charcoal,,,,Thank me later.

WRONG WRONG WRONG and MORE WRONG

You are tailgating, now is the time to go back to charcoal. You can get a Weber Smokey joe for like $20

View attachment 154856

If you don’t want to bend over and you ha e a little more room, for like $80 upgrade to this...

View attachment 154857
Get Kingsford charcoal,,,,Thank me later.

No one wants you to bend over.

Charcoal grills have their place but not at Syracuse. SU doesn't provide any receptacles to dump hot coals AFAIK. So Kaiser when you make a game just leave your Smokey Joe under your car so it won't get stolen.

Charcoal grills have their place but not at Syracuse. SU doesn't provide any receptacles to dump hot coals AFAIK. So Kaiser when you make a game just leave your Smokey Joe under your car so it won't get stolen.

Fans of the jv, what can you do???...

I've used charcoal for years on the hill and never set anyone's car on fire. Stupid is as stupid does.