OT: The Duke Brotherhood | Syracusefan.com

OT: The Duke Brotherhood

I don't know the story around this player, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was encouraged to leave early, whether or not he was ready, wanted to go, or it was a smart decision for him. These schools like Duke and UK that have classes full of 5-starts every year, it seems to be in their long-term plans that they will leave after 1 year ready or not, to make room for the next class coming in. And they've got like the top 3 players coming in next year.

I don't know the story around this player, but I wouldn't be surprised if he was encouraged to leave early, whether or not he was ready, wanted to go, or it was a smart decision for him. These schools like Duke and UK that have classes full of 5-starts every year, it seems to be in their long-term plans that they will leave after 1 year ready or not, to make room for the next class coming in. And they've got like the top 3 players coming in next year.
bingo

Trevon Duval goes undrafted. Top 15 high school player and his stock drops under K. Maybe these guys should stop going there.
Should he be allowed to return? He'll probably get paid well to play overseas.

There was an article written about Duval and another ex Duke player who both stated they were both basically forced out by Coach K. Players at Kentucky said the same thing. They clearly are not ready, but their coaches are moving on to bigger and better. Pretty sad, but perhaps the kids thinking Duke and Kentucky are all that might want to rethink their logic.

There was an article written about Duval and another ex Duke player who both stated they were both basically forced out by Coach K. Players at Kentucky said the same thing. They clearly are not ready, but their coaches are moving on to bigger and better. Pretty sad, but perhaps the kids thinking Duke and Kentucky are all that might want to rethink their logic.

The kids who choose those schools have had their egos stroked since they first started playing AAU ball. They have supreme confidence (not entirely a bad thing) and think there is no way this would ever happen to them, because they are too good. Unfortunately, reality is always going to eventually smack a few of them in the face.

They get screwed by the Weinstein's of basketball! After the casting court they get shown the door.

If it's true they are getting forced out, they can still transfer somewhere if they don't feel they're ready to go pro. Yes, he'd have to redshirt, but I can't imagine Duval would have a problem finding somewhere else to play.

If it's true they are getting forced out, they can still transfer somewhere if they don't feel they're ready to go pro. Yes, he'd have to redshirt, but I can't imagine Duval would have a problem finding somewhere else to play.

He'd have to sit a year. Who wants to do that?

The kids who choose those schools have had their egos stroked since they first started playing AAU ball. They have supreme confidence (not entirely a bad thing) and think there is no way this would ever happen to them, because they are too good. Unfortunately, reality is always going to eventually smack a few of them in the face.

Yeah, I don't know that it's a good look for Duke (more so than UK) as a school with a great academic reputation, but it's also the way of the world. These guys are basically professionals by 16 or so anyway and they are playing the game. It's a gamble and I doubt coach K is recruiting kids by saying 'if it doesn't work out, you're gone', but it's implied and it really needs to be taken into consideration during the decision-making process.

Having said that, I don't quite get why Duke would want him gone so bad. If all he was was quality depth, that would seem to be a decent scenario for the program anyway.

He'd have to sit a year. Who wants to do that?

Not sure if you were being sarcastic, but Moyer ... and BJ Johnson ... and Mike Gbinije ... and elijah hughes. Being forced out blows but I'm not sure why he was so eager to do the NBA draft when he has a world of potential but is in desperate need of reps and refinement. Weird situation.

Marques Bolden was a 5 star recruit who has rotted at Duke for 3 years. He was a top 15 prospect the year he came out as well and now is nowhere near the NBA radar.

Not sure if you were being sarcastic, but Moyer ... and BJ Johnson ... and Mike Gbinije ... and elijah hughes. Being forced out blows but I'm not sure why he was so eager to do the NBA draft when he has a world of potential but is in desperate need of reps and refinement. Weird situation.

They weren't projected lottery picks their senior year of high school. Most mocks had Duval in the top 10 last year.

They weren't projected lottery picks their senior year of high school. Most mocks had Duval in the top 10 last year.

But what does that have to do with anything? That just means that a bunch of basketball nerds like us thought he was going to be a total stud. But he wasn't, so he needs to improve (obviously). I mean, if he really wanted to go to Europe or fight the good fight in the g league, I'm fine with it. But why would sitting out a year at a good program, practicing every day and, ideally, making progress toward a degree while working out like crazy be a complete non-starter as an option?

But what does that have to do with anything? That just means that a bunch of basketball nerds like us thought he was going to be a total stud. But he wasn't, so he needs to improve (obviously). I mean, if he really wanted to go to Europe or fight the good fight in the g league, I'm fine with it. But why would sitting out a year at a good program, practicing every day and, ideally, making progress toward a degree while working out like crazy be a complete non-starter as an option?

It's not chasing the dream.

The logic is mind-boggling. A kid like this - go to Michigan or wherever and get better. Not every overseas team is Real Madrid.

Greyson Allen - a 4 year kid - did go first round after all. It's possible.

My point is going to Duke or UK to be the 4th or 5th option is beyond stupid if you want to make the NBA as fast as you can. Go to another school and be featured. If Trae Young goes to UK there's a good chance 12 points a game and isn't drafted.

The logic is mind-boggling. A kid like this - go to Michigan or wherever and get better. Not every overseas team is Real Madrid.

I know you're just throwing michigan out there but that's a perfect example -- excellent program, great coach and by the way, a phenomenal degree. If you're open to considering all options, you could do a lot worse.

My point is going to Duke or UK to be the 4th or 5th option is beyond stupid if you want to make the NBA as fast as you can. Go to another school and be featured. If Trae Young goes to UK there's a good chance 12 points a game and isn't drafted.

Agree with that, at least in theory (I think UK has actually had a bunch of first-rounders with bad stats, like the Skal Labissierre -- I have no idea how to spell that -- kid). But yes, huge gamble going to a strict basketball factory.

I know you're just throwing michigan out there but that's a perfect example -- excellent program, great coach and by the way, a phenomenal degree. If you're open to considering all options, you could do a lot worse.

A little more than that, for the reasons you mentioned.

To be fair, Allen probably would have gone higher had he left after his sophmore year.

Once you totally commit to the one-and-done, 5-star model, as UK and Duke have, you have to keep the turnstiles moving, or you lose cred with the next groups waiting to move in when it's their turn.

In my opinion, it's a combination of things, none being greater than ego. As mentioned, these elite type recruits have been told how unique and special they are for years and, therefore, lack some of work ethic it takes to be truly special. Combined with the ridiculous stigma that if you don't go early, you're washed up and too old at 21, etc. What a crock.

Duval, from what I've seen, has a lot of potential as he is quite athletic and can get to the rim with relative ease. He also has an excellent build and strength. The main issue is his shot, a complete liability for a guard at the NBA level. He should've stayed in school another year, and just worked on his shooting. I see a little of Russell Westbrook in him, Westbrook stayed two years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom