OT: The Duke Brotherhood | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: The Duke Brotherhood

Trevon Duval goes undrafted. Top 15 high school player and his stock drops under K. Maybe these guys should stop going there.

They had 4 guys drafted, 2 in the lottery. Some responsibility falls on a player. We’ve had some guys fail as well, can’t place it all on the staff whether it’s ours or Dukes.

They had 4 guys drafted, 2 in the lottery. Some responsibility falls on a player. We’ve had some guys fail as well, can’t place it all on the staff whether it’s ours or Dukes.

Not necessarily their “fault” but shows they aren’t doing anything magical for these players that any other good program can’t do. They don’t develop pros, they recruit them. Just like everyone else.

Though seemingly bumping him out the door due to their current recruiting strategy could be seen as their “fault”.

Not necessarily their “fault” but shows they aren’t doing anything magical for these players that any other good program can’t do. They don’t develop pros, they recruit them. Just like everyone else.

Though seemingly bumping him out the door due to their current recruiting strategy could he seen as their “fault”.

Ding ding ding.

Though seemingly bumping him out the door due to their current recruiting strategy could be seen as their “fault”.

Ding ding ding.

I don’t think anybody is saying that at all. Talent gets picked. Every draft there are guys that casual college fans never even heard of until theyre picked in the lottery.

I would guess that Duval had been informed that he might not be drafted. The logical response to that information would be to return to college (See Battle, Tyus). But he was likely advised that he was not part of Coach K's plan for next season--maybe even that there was no scholarship available. Gotta make room for the 5-5 Stars in this year's class.

So, Duval's mistake may not have been over-estimating his own worth or failing to work hard enough to improve; rather, it was picking Duke in the first place.

I know that if I had any possible issues qualifying and Duke was offering I'd pick Duke every single time. When was the last time the NCAA even checked on a Duke commit's eligibility?

The thing I find funny about Duval leaving is Tre Jones is basically the same player. Not a great shooter but can drive and distribute the ball. I'm not sure it is obvious that Jones is an upgrade. I also don't think Duval was forced out they could have found a use for him. They have a whole bunch of forwards coming in Barrett, Zion, Cam and Baker. I guess Cam plays the 2 with Tre but this idea that Duval would have had no value seems strange to me. If you think that you are basically saying that O'Connell is better than Duval.

They never even gave Duval the chance to showcase his skills. K made Allen the point guard.

My sympathy for the kid here is minimal. These kids know the score and how the system works. Can't cry woe is me half way thru or after the fact. Duke certainly loses its slippery stance as the school that is above the fray of recruiting muck, but the players and their families aren't babes in the woods anymore. They all get that its a business.

It's really a little strange because Duval had games where he was very good and then others where he got minimal playing time.
May just be a personal decision feeling he didn't get the time he should have.
Or---on the wrong side of K??

His stock didn't drop. He is who he is and going to Duke exposed it. He could get by on his athleticism in high school. He had to actually play in college and needed at minimum one more year. Can't be a point guard with no jumpshot in today's NBA.

His stock didn't drop. He is who he is and going to Duke exposed it. He could get by on his athleticism in high school. He had to actually play in college and needed at minimum one more year. Can't be a point guard with no jumpshot in today's NBA.

You can but you need to do everything else very well.

Agreed again. It's a man's game, these guys need to be mature as well.
I don't know, he is pretty damned mature...some of his trips and pushes are straight out of the 38 year old hoops player handbook at every YMCA nationwide. ;-)

Marques Bolden was a 5 star recruit who has rotted at Duke for 3 years. He was a top 15 prospect the year he came out as well and now is nowhere near the NBA radar.
I'm not sure this is a legitimate criticism, and I have a few that are. Bolden was injured. That has altered his development. Surely, if there is a fan base anywhere that can appreciate the plight of a highly touted post player having his career disrupted by injury, it is Syracuse's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom