OT: The one ring scam | Syracusefan.com

OT: The one ring scam

JarHeadJim

I have never won sheet!
1505322_10152259901522502_351566184_n.jpg

SHARE TO GET THE WORD OUT: "One ring scam" sweeping the country. Here's how it works. Scammers program their computers to blast out thousands of calls to rando...m cell phone numbers. Those calls ring once and then hang up. If you call back, you're connected to an adult entertainment service, a chat-line or some other premium program in another country. You're charged a nearly $20 international phone call fee, plus per minute charges for that "premium service." Those charges can be an extra nine dollars a minute or more. READ MORE: http://13wham.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/one-ring-scam-alert-sweeing-nation-9302.shtml

I got a call from 268 last night that I immediately rejected because I didn't recognize it and because it was just after 11pm and I was heading to bed (yes Marsh01 people go to bed before 2 in the morning). Glad I didn't pick up. Or call back.

Here is a helpful hint for the old folks, if you don't recognize a number, why the hell would you answer it?

Also, please stop leaving voice mails, you called, we saw, we shall text u back. Texts aren't impersonal, they are efficient.

I got this the other day from 473. Looked up the number and quickly became evident of what it was.

Here is a helpful hint for the old folks, if you don't recognize a number, why the hell would you answer it?

Also, please stop leaving voice mails, you called, we saw, we shall text u back. Texts aren't impersonal, they are efficient.
let alone call it back without them leaving a message

Why people answer the ph from #s they don't know, or even worse...callback...is beyond me.

If i call your cell and you call back 2 seconds later on some long lost land line...I ain't pickin up or calling back till I hear the message from u saying...it's me Dave, I got the stuff.

Why people answer the ph from #s they don't know, or even worse...callback...is beyond me.

If i call your cell and you call back 2 seconds later on some long lost land line...I ain't pickin up or calling back till I hear the message from u saying...it's me Dave, I got the stuff.

I own my own business so sometimes I answer because it may be a new long term project that sends my family to Hawaii for a month. But a call at 11:07pm obviously isn't one of those.

I own my own business so sometimes I answer because it may be a new long term project that sends my family to Hawaii for a month. But a call at 11:07pm obviously isn't one of those.

Ur awesome :)

Business is completely different.

Actually...the scam calls only target cellphones.
If you call back from a landline you get a busy signal.
Yes, I tried it.

I guess this must be lucrative given the low overhead.
But unless you know someone in Antigua, Dominica, Grenada or Bayonne...why would anyone ever return the call?

And the bigger unanswered question is why cell service providers act as middlemen and collect the fees for these crooks.

Thanks for your well intended help but us "old folks" aren't also stupid.. Just so you know..
I'm old as dirt but I should know better. I accepted a request from somebody I knew through a site called Zorpio. Almost immediately, I realized I'd been had. Spam city. Trust me none of those babes who supposedly live in the next town over want to really meet me.

I got a call from 268 last night that I immediately rejected because I didn't recognize it and because it was just after 11pm and I was heading to bed (yes Marsh01 people go to bed before 2 in the morning). Glad I didn't pick up. Or call back.
That's what those are! I've gotten two from 268 in the last week. Both around midnight.

Last edited:
Last week I received two calls from a 223 area code on my cell. Since I did not recognize the number I never picked up. Although I am a real estate agent and we live on our phones I figured it was a call from a some group looking to pick our pockets by selling "qualified" buyer leads. When no voice message was left I checked up on the area code and found it was not in the US. Looks like I dodged a bullet!

Last edited: