OT: The Syracusefan.com game factor | Syracusefan.com

OT: The Syracusefan.com game factor

JDubbin

The ONLY Syracuse Sneakers Avatar Guy
I have been on this board for well over a year now (joining is one of the best decisions I have made), but it has started to change how I interact with other SU fans! I was at the Duke game, waiting to get my tickets outside of Cameron. I started to realize that for every Orange fan I chatted with before the game, I wondered if they were on Syracusefan.com board, and if so, who they were. I think I even tried to drop the board name in a conversation or two to see if there was a recognition reaction... it's changed me! Anyone else been impacted in a similar way? Syracusefan.com... changing lives and messing with heads since it's beginning;)

When I meet other Cuse fans, I often ask them if they are on this site. Living in Pa, I'm waiting for the first one to say "yes".

When I meet other Cuse fans, I often ask them if they are on this site. Living in Pa, I'm waiting for the first one to say "yes".

I live in Pittsburgh, so if you find me I will say "yes"

Before moving from Astoria to Lower East Side, I used to go to every Football game and most of the Basketball Games at East End Bar in NYC. Hell I even went to their New Years Party. I always knew there were Fan.com people there but never knew how to initiate that conversation without looking creepy. I did wear my Guy Fawkes mask in there for one game but was short lived as my girlfriend and others said I was scaring them.

At least when I was living in Syracuse it was easier to identify the Fan.com crew. They would be at Fine Lot or would be anyone who wore the War Damn Otto shirt (mine is my prized treasure with numerous autographs on it - Jim Brown, Jim Boeheim, Gerry McNamara, John Mackey, and Floyd Little).***

*** Special thanks to Cheriehoop and CTO on obtaining the majority of the autographs for me.

OttoMets said:
Before the Indiana regional semifinal last year, I asked a guy sitting next to me if he participated on the site. He looked at me like I was weird.
Dude such a bad way to do it...everyone knows the best way to break the awkward ice is to start with "so I have this friend Mantonio..."

I ask every syracuse fan that I meet lol. Havent ran into anyone tho.

tptgeek made it happen once. We were at the Blarney and he called me over "Are you on cusefan? are you from Alaska? CUSETROOOOOOOP"
True story! It helped that I had a few drinks and had been reading about your Syracuse sports-fest vacation and I think there was a photo or two the trip. It was fun to meet the others there too!

In other Cuse-related situations (at games, or when people are wearing Cuse gear or are cheering for SU), I have gone with "Have you heard about syracusefan.com?" I figure the only possible answers are "No," or "Yes. I am (insert board handle)".

I have had exactly the opposite experience. At virtually every away game I attend, some one will walk up to me and ask whether I am cto. Seriously, I have met dozens of folks here that way.

I have had exactly the opposite experience. At virtually every away game I attend, some one will walk up to me and ask whether I am cto. Seriously, I have met dozens of folks here that way.
Yeah, but you are a living legend and get almost as much screen time as JB.

I thought I was the only person who did this, good to know I'm not the only lunatic asking fellow Cuse fans if they are addicted to a forum like I am. Still waiting for someone to respond yes though, hoping to eventually meet a fellow board member.

handshake.jpg
We need to come up with a secret handshake.

Your sponsorship of large Gatorade containers has probably helped. ;)

Reactions: cto
The best way to meet folks is to come by the annual SyracuseFan.com tailgate. Our primary one will be Maryland and the secondary one will be FSU.

But everyone on the board knows who CTO is because we've seen you many times on TV behind the bench.

Maybe after 1000 posts board members can get an official SyracuseFan nametag that they can wear at any and all SU sporting events. lol

OK. After 500 posts you will be able to put in your ID and Password and there will be a drop down that only you can acess. It will have an Official SYRACUSE FAN nametag with your handle. It will be whie with blue lettering and picture of OTTO in orange in corner. After 1000 likes, you will be able to get a silver nametag with Orange lettering a number 44 in the corner.

Last edited:
Many years ago (10+?)I was walking to catch a bus at Manley Field House for a basketball game when a random friendly man began chatting with a friend and I. The conversation turned to rumors that were circulating that i had read in this board. Turned out to that the person was Orangeyes! What a treat! I told him where we were sitting and during the game he came and sat with us for a while. Again, many years ago but memorable, haven't run in to him since though. Get well Dan!

I've met most of the long termers on here, and this board has always increased my enjoyment of SU sports overall. I love the discussion and debate. I had some stupid debates way back in the 90s with certain people on the board when i was a bit to passionate about it all, I don;t do that anymore. Call it age or wisdom, I don't know.I'm not a fan of the cynical side of 'Cuse fans, which seems also to be present in Phil. Eagles fans so I assume it's a north east thing. I live in Denver and the fans here for the Broncos are not like that at all:) I love u all though:)

Never met anyone on the board. Closest I ever came was after I graduated I went back to SU for a game against Notre Dame, and my friends and I were in the Sheraton before the game and I guess there was a Syracusefan meetup going on somewhere in the hotel. How do I know this? I walked by a woman wearing a name tag as I was getting on the elevator and realized too late the name tag had said cto.

I'm also assuming there are people here who know members of my family. I know for certain edowd knows one of my cousins. And I've for a looooot of cousins (and aunts and uncles) in Baldwinsville, Marcellus, and Syracuse.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom