OT: The Who: Live at Kilburn recorded off the Palladia channel | Syracusefan.com

OT: The Who: Live at Kilburn recorded off the Palladia channel

Dave85

Living Legend
Keith Moon is probably one of the top three drummers of all time. Of course John Bonham is right there also. But I also like what Dave Grohl did with Nirvana. And I love what Lars Ulrich has done. Although I am not a big Rush fan, Neil Peart is pretty good and the guy from Santana. There are lots of great drummers. But there is something about Keith Moon's style of drummer that has a level of insanity to it. It's like jazz drummer or something. It's almost like he doesn't know how to play at all but it just sounds good.

Keith Moon is probably one of the top three drummers of all time. Of course John Bonham is right there also. But I also like what Dave Grohl did with Nirvana. And I love what Lars Ulrich has done. Although I am not a big Rush fan, Neil Peart is pretty good and the guy from Santana. There are lots of great drummers. But there is something about Keith Moon's style of drummer that has a level of insanity to it. It's like jazz drummer or something. It's almost like he doesn't know how to play at all but it just sounds good.

Huge who fan

He was an absolute madman. The Who is far and away my favorite band of all time, and he has a hell of a lot to do with it.

The Who is one of the all time greats, as was/is Keith Moon. Also much respect for you mentioning those other drummers. Unfortunately I never got to see The Who play with Keith, but thanks to your post I searched torrents for this bad boy and found it. Quite often Baba O'Riley is playing in my head or being sung out loud ever since I heard a Pearl Jam version from the early 90s(The Who is Eddie Vedder's favorite band). Thanks for mentioning the name of the show in your title, or I may have never seen it. Like I said in the Pistol Pete thread, sad to see the world lose such a light before their time. I'm guessing his hotel and home destruction probably influenced a couple of parties I was at. I sometimes wish I could do that(not so much the toilets, I have respect for them as they are my favorite luxury) with such impunity.

Long live Keith Moon...inside of any of us who aren't afraid of being called crazy.
"When you've got money and you do the kind of things I get up to, people laugh and say that you're eccentric, which is a polite way of saying you're ****ing mad." -Keith Moon
"When you don't have money and do one one hundredth of that, people don't bother being polite". -Me

Keith Moon played LEAD drums. I think that summarizes his style pretty well.

Keith Moon played LEAD drums. I think that summarizes his style pretty well.

Spot on, Matt. And Entwistle played lead bass. For all that Townshend had such creative authorship and control over the overwhelming majority of the band's product, he didn't crowd out his mates but rather seems to have adapted his own style to make it work. Listen to long stretches of Quadrophenia (their best album, IMHO) if you need any examples. Drums, bass, and vocals dominate The Real Me and many other tracks, even after Pete's recent remastering of the album. Andy Summers seems to agree about some of this:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/lists/100-greatest-guitarists-20111123/pete-townshend-20111122

I was surprised to see a Daltrey video interview snippet from a couple of years ago where he defended Moon the Loon after noting that Pete didn't think he was a very good drummer. Roger said that Keith might not have been a perfect metronome (apparently Pete's chief gripe), but that his manic style and relentless fills were essentially perfect for the quadropheniacal alchemy that led to the band's success. I agree completely.

Also love Pearl Jam's adulation for the band. They played two Who numbers when I saw them headline the Austin City Limits Music Festival a few years ago, and Eddie V. himself wrote the Rolling Stone tribute to Pete when RS issued the controversial list of the best rock guitarists several years back. E.V. has summarized the accomplishments of The Who by lamenting that they broke down so many doors that it left very little for their successors to do afterwards.

But now I digress. Pretty soon we're going to get this thread transported to the toxic wasteland that is the OT Board. Shhhh...

i probably don't watch enuf palladia but so happens yesterday i did catch a bit of Glastonbury 2008 concert.

Spot on, Matt. And Entwistle played lead bass. For all that Townshend had such creative authorship and control over the overwhelming majority of the band's product, he didn't crowd out his mates but rather seems to have adapted his own style to make it work. Listen to long stretches of Quadrophenia (their best album, IMHO) if you need any examples. Drums, bass, and vocals dominate The Real Me and many other tracks, even after Pete's recent remastering of the album. Andy Summers seems to agree about some of this:

Quadrophenia did not get great reviews but I agree, it's a terrific album. Not sure if I can say it's better than Who's Next but it's closer than most would think- entirely different records (remember them?). Saw The Who in their prime a couple of times- great shows. I think Pete and Roger had (have?) a pretty ly relationship but, with Keith and John did get the job done.

I saw Roger and Pete at the theater at the Garden last year. They kicked ass. Adjusted the songs as necessary for a slightly limited vocal range, but it was still a great show. Elvis opened and it might be the best show I've seen him do. (Seen him at least eight times going back to the 70s. )

I'm sure Peter is enjoying royalty checks from all of the CSI shows that keep airing. It's also a good way to introduce the music to new audiences.

I only saw The Who during their initial Farwell Tour at the Carrier Dome.

Long live rock!

I remember Keith Moon being a presenter on some awards show. Can't remember what awards or who he was on with but I have always remembered what he said went he got to the mic. 'Now ladies and gentlemen, if you would kindly spit in our general direction we will do our rendition of 'Singing in the Rain' I was into the Punk scene back then and it resonated with me. ;)

edit: First, I acknowledge the comments about Moon, he changed the way people played drums. I haven't watched that one in a while, but watching Townshend perform on stage is mind boggling. Remember he was doing all that while still continuing to play - for they only had one guitar player, he - and it was before wireless. And he's playing a Gibson Les Paul Standard which weighs a ton. Check his performance in "Won't Get Fooled Again:"

Last edited:

Funny you should say that. James Wood wrote about some similar impressions about Moon: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/11/29/101129fa_fact_wood

[And I'm kind of amazed that this three-year-old article was the first thing that jumped into my head when I saw your post.]

Funny you should say that. James Wood wrote about some similar impressions about Moon: http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/11/29/101129fa_fact_wood

[And I'm kind of amazed that this three-year-old article was the first thing that jumped into my head when I saw your post.]

Cool article. Thanks! I knew something was odd about his drumming but I am not that musical to put my finger on it. The article was really what I was trying to say if I knew what I was talking about!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom