OT: Thoughts about Twitter | Syracusefan.com

OT: Thoughts about Twitter

cliftonparksufan

Iggy Award Czar/Co 2020-21 Iggy Award Winner PPG
What a double edged sword. Twitter is obviously here to stay and a great way to keep up with what's going on in the world. I think people who haven't embraced it yet really need to. However things on there get passed around way too easy. I'm not passing judgement on whether people like MCW or Jay Wright are innocent or guilty, but people need to be able to be held more accountable for what they post. When innocent people are being hurt, that is not a good situation.

OK, I feel better now that I got that off my chest. Hopefully whatever did or did not transpire is water under the bridge and MCW and all of the other college students have a successful finals week. We have a week until the Canisius game and if you aren't aware, they are a better team than Monmouth. Canisius is a much improved program. As MCW might or might not have tweeted "Moving on Staying Focused".

I enjoy Twitter very much and use it liberally, but I agree. Rumors become "fact" and spread like wildfire when people tweet and retweet things, because there is zero accountability. It leads to people being vilified and a presumption of guilt.

personally i cant stand social media and im of the generation of when it was in its infancy(im29). im all for things like 1 on 1 video chat but this creating profiles and allowing verbal abuse , parading pictures around like we are all the papparazzi and the replacement of going for a drink or catching up by driving a few hours with talking on facebook and reading updates is garbage. i mean i do use it occassionally but it really makes us lazy and over celebrates the extroverts.

personally i cant stand social media and im of the generation of when it was in its infancy(im29). im all for things like 1 on 1 video chat but this creating profiles and allowing verbal abuse , parading pictures around like we are all the papparazzi and the replacement of going for a drink or catching up by driving a few hours with talking on facebook and reading updates is garbage. i mean i do use it occassionally but it really makes us lazy and over celebrates the extroverts.
Instagram is the only one that gets annoying imo. Omg, you made a cupcake, thats f***ing amazing! Let me like this and while im at it, oh heres a bunch of fancy quotes you wrote with really cool backgrounds...I like how generic and played out they are. Let me look through your pics so I can see how many ways you can take the same picture of yourself over and over. Instagram is like catnip for attention whores.

Can be double edged, but the positives far outweigh the negatives.

For sports, easily your best news source if you follow the right people.

I'm with Orangezoo. Twitter does nothing for me. I can wait 15 minutes to get the news someplace else. For every one time it is good there are situations like this x10 that make it just stupid.

Unlike Facebook, which I will never touch, Twitter I do enjoy. 90% of who I follow are comedy related just for humor and a handful of sports related.

For the record, I follow MCW and he has tweeted nothing about this today. I believe someone quoted a different handle that is not his.

Can't the same be said for message boards?
Yes, but usually message boards have a very limited audience, so there is much less impact. Twitter is worldwide. Even if you have no interest in a topic, eventually you'll find out about it on Twitter.

I love twitter. It's the USA today of social media. I follow sports journalists and I get enough info during the day that I need. If I want to dig deeper into a story ill google it. Epic time saver.

Can't the same be said for message boards?
Maybe some message boards. But that is why our boards are closely monitored. Two years ago, I literally stayed up all night one night deleting posts stating that Scoop was shaving points ... just because some clown on a poker board in Missouri was joking around and, out of the clear blue, posted it as a joke. If you were not on this board that night, you have no idea how bad it could have gotten here ... if I had not sacrificed a night of sleep.

I love twitter. It's the USA today of social media. I follow sports journalists and I get enough info during the day that I need. If I want to dig deeper into a story ill google it. Epic time saver.
Yep, and for people like me who live far from SU, it's great during games. The PS and DO do a great job updating during games. I use Twitter more than GameCast to follow games.

Maybe some message boards. But that is why our boards are closely monitored. Two years ago, I literally stayed up all night one night deleting posts claiming that Scoop was shaving points ... just because some clown on a poker board in Missouri was joking around and, out of the clear blue, posted it as a joke. If you were not on this board that night, you have no idea how bad it could have gotten here ... if I had not sacrificed a night of sleep.
I'm envisioning an 80s movie montage from back when people didn't really understand computers. You're in a dark room, and there's a graphical interface where you're using a space ship to blast away posts containing the words "point shaving," "Scoop," and "sanctions" while ELO or something like that plays in the background.

I'm envisioning an 80s movie montage from back when people didn't really understand computers. You're in a dark room, and there's a graphical interface where you're using a space ship to blast away posts containing the words "point shaving," "Scoop," and "sanctions" while ELO or something like that plays in the background.
I was thinking "Don't Fear the Reaper." But if you want a classic 80s montage then it has to be "I'm Walking on Sunshine."

Maybe some message boards. But that is why our boards are closely monitored. Two years ago, I literally stayed up all night one night deleting posts stating that Scoop was shaving points ... just because some clown on a poker board in Missouri was joking around and, out of the clear blue, posted it as a joke. If you were not on this board that night, you have no idea how bad it could have gotten here ... if I had not sacrificed a night of sleep.
That was bad. Scoop had so many brain farts that it could of been true at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a double edged sword. Twitter is obviously here to stay and a great way to keep up with what's going on in the world. I think people who haven't embraced it yet really need to. However things on there get passed around way too easy. I'm not passing judgement on whether people like MCW or Jay Wright are innocent or guilty, but people need to be able to be held more accountable for what they post. When innocent people are being hurt, that is not a good situation.

OK, I feel better now that I got that off my chest. Hopefully whatever did or did not transpire is water under the bridge and MCW and all of the other college students have a successful finals week. We have a week until the Canisius game and if you aren't aware, they are a better team than Monmouth. Canisius is a much improved program. As MCW might or might not have tweeted "Moving on Staying Focused".

It all fun and games when everyone is piling on Jay Wright or Lebron...but, its no longer fun now that its SU and MCW..

We need more duckface

Instagram is the only one that gets annoying imo. Omg, you made a cupcake, thats f***ing amazing! Let me like this and while im at it, oh heres a bunch of fancy quotes you wrote with really cool backgrounds...I like how generic and played out they are. Let me look through your pics so I can see how many ways you can take the same picture of yourself over and over. Instagram is like catnip for attention whores.

Thank you

While I appreciate what you and the other mods do I am confident I could convince this board of a negative rumor about Syracuse.

I enjoy Twitter very much and use it liberally, but I agree. Rumors become "fact" and spread like wildfire when people tweet and retweet things, because there is zero accountability. It leads to people being vilified and a presumption of guilt.

Twitter and Facebook are for self absorbed douche nozzles like jekelish, Joe College, and my wife's friends. ;)

Seriously, I've seen Twitter and Facebook help destroy a marriage and drive a family aquaintance's teen to suicide. I can see why people are addicted to them, and I see their value when used responsibly. But I've seen the darkside too. I choose not to use either, and will not allow my kids to use them.

People will vilify these social media engines like they often vilify guns. But it's not the site (or the gun) that is in the wrong. It's the user. Whether it's some moron who posts racial slurs or blasts his/her boss without thinking, or some bully who harasses a fellow student, they are choosing to misuse the medium and acting irresponsibly. Although I think both Facebook and Twitter should, in extreme cases, permanently ban people who misuse the medium, you can't police everything. People are going to post stupid stuff. People are going to post hurtful things. Some people are even going to post outright lies. Not much you can do.

I'm very confused on your stance on the issue. You claim it to be the problem with the user yet you won't let your kids use it?

Actually, since we're talking about Social Media and the people who use it, there's one thing that completely annoys me. My wife, almost daily, will read a Facebook post by someone with wording like "Just received some horrible news. Great way to start the day. Please say a prayer."

What is that?! You can post about the last time you used a public restroom, but you can't elaborate on this horrible news?! This is the definition of someone who is starved for attention and fishing for sympathy. They toss out a little bait and all of a sudden the wall fills up with OMG's and Are You OK's. The thing that really frustrated me is that one day it was my stepsister who posted a cryptic message and had the whole family worried because she wasn't answering her phone. What a dumbass! Spill it, or don't post it.

I'm very confused on your stance on the issue. You claim it to be the problem with the user yet you won't let your kids use it?

I'm not worried about my kids being irresponsible with it. I'm worried about the punks in school who troll other kid's pages and start trouble. Better not to be on the thing at all as far as I'm concerned.

If you want to be depressed by how social media and the Internet can be horribly abused, Google the name Amanda Todd. It's heartbreaking stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom