OT: Tom Hanks to play SU grad in broadway play | Syracusefan.com

OT: Tom Hanks to play SU grad in broadway play

cuseguy

Living Legend
If you live in the New York area, you may remember a columnist who used to work for the New York tabloids named Mike McAlary. McAlary made a name for himself in the 80s and 90s as a reporter who developed a huge reputation after breaking a number of big stories. McAlary, an SU grad, was in a bad car accident (If I recall correctly) and later died (unrelated) at the young age of 41 of colon cancer in 1998. Turns out Tom Hanks is going to make his Broadway debut next year by playing McAlary in a play to be called "Lucky Guy.'' I met McAlary in 1980 while I was working as sports correspondent for The Boston Globe. McAlary was working for The Boston Herald. We were both covering the Eastern Mass. high school hockey tourney at the Boston Garden. It was just weeks after the USA hockey team had won the gold medal at Lake Placid. Turns out Jim Craig, the goalie of that US team, was in attendance that day at the Garden because his brother was playing for a state title. Well, McAlary found Craig in the crowd and got a great story while I was focusing on the game. The rest is history.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...ut_n_1503172.html?ir=Entertainment&ref=topbar

I met Mike through a former roommate of mine (who was a former editor for the DO). Great guy. And the number of great stories...wow. He had a great life, albeit way too short.