OT: UCF used to be called Florida Tech... | Syracusefan.com

OT: UCF used to be called Florida Tech...

They changed the name in 1978, not sure why. It was founded as a Technical, Engineering university to feed NASA.

There is a Florida Tech now. It's actually a private school.

There is a Florida Tech now. It's actually a private school.

Florida Tech is in Melborne, FL. Regarding UCF, I think University of Orlando would sould better. I don't think there is anyone else using that name yet. UCF sounds too directional to me. But it is currently the name.

People are too caught up in names.

The Florida State University system choose to use directional monikers for the non FSU/UF state schools. There's a UNF, UWF, USF and UCF. No UEF yet. Of course we also have FAMU (Florida A&M) and FIU (Florida Internstional).

The "city" schools in the state tend to be private: U of Miami, U of Tampa, and Jacksonville U.

Interesting...huge school enrollment wise. Is it a commuter school like USF? I think they would be a great fit in the Big 12 along with Cincy.

I think UCF just delivered their B12 conference application last night. I could see UCF and USF/Cincy getting the call up...if the TV money is close. That would be bad news for Cuse.

Interesting...huge school enrollment wise. Is it a commuter school like USF? I think they would be a great fit in the Big 12 along with Cincy.
It's a mix of commuter and on campus. Used to be a commuter school but they've built many very nice on campus dorms in the past decade. I really couldn't tell you the mix of commuter vs on campus, but it doesn't have the feel of a commuter school.

The school (and other Florida schools) currently are set up where it's actually very selective to get on campus as a frosh/soph. They utilize the (former) community college system (which are now called "state colleges") as feeder schools into the state universities. It's very similar to the Penn State campus system. Pushing the commuter students to the satellite state colleges for the first two years really reduces the commuter feel.

It's a mix of commuter and on campus. Used to be a commuter school but they've built many very nice on campus dorms in the past decade. I really couldn't tell you the mix of commuter vs on campus, but it doesn't have the feel of a commuter school.

The school (and other Florida schools) currently are set up where it's actually very selective to get on campus as a frosh/soph. They utilize the (former) community college system (which are now called "state colleges") as feeder schools into the state universities. It's very similar to the Penn State campus system. Pushing the commuter students to the satellite state colleges for the first two years really reduces the commuter feel.

And also weeds out those that aren't capable or motivated to be students.

I think UCF just delivered their B12 conference application last night. I could see UCF and USF/Cincy getting the call up...if the TV money is close. That would be bad news for Cuse.

LOL...I suppose they did. If the Big 12 wants to survive or prosper they have to get into Florida. Hopefully, they don't have that vision outside of FSU/Miami and Texas/OU continue to want to keep it at 10.

Thanks OC. They could have a heck of a base there with all those students and to me, a wise investment for any conference. Too bad the ACC has 2 Florida schools already, 3 would be overkill.

And also weeds out those that aren't capable or motivated to be students.
Very much so. I think the acceptance rate for HS Seniors to UCF is somewhere around 50%. They aggressively pursue National Merit Scholars from across the country by offering full scholarships (or generous financial aid). They're gradually building their profile up. The school just celebrated it's 50th anniversary but it's really had exponential growth since 2000.

I originally went to the top rated school in Florida, the University of Miami. I was less than impressed with the quality of education that I received. Too many TA's teaching classes for a private university. Took about a decade off and completed my degree at UCF. I took a more difficult degree path (Mathematics & Statistics), but the level of education I received in my program classes was top notch. Sure there are some "weaker" programs that catch a lot of the students that just want to do the minimum to get a degree. The school is actually very strong for computer science, math, engineering and other sciences (after all it was/is a tech school at heart). I hope they begin raise the profile/difficulty of the other majors (business especially). I took a few upper division business classes and they weren't very difficult. However, with 50k students it's difficult for the school to find a balance between difficulty and quantity. I'd rather see less programs and students and enhance the difficulty of the current programs that are a bit subpar.

I always got pissed that Elementary Education and Business majors were running around with 3.9 GPA's and I was busting my butt to get a 3.2 in my quant major.

I know a lot of folks here like to emphasize tradition and brand when it comes to programs, but a school like UCF seems like a good long-term play for a conference that doesn't have a Florida presence. The way Florida's population is growing, and the already abundant amount of high-level high school athletes in the state, seems like a school like UCF has a much rosier long-term outlook for athletic success and support than most schools in the midwest or plains states.

Very much so. I think the acceptance rate for HS Seniors to UCF is somewhere around 50%. They aggressively pursue National Merit Scholars from across the country by offering full scholarships (or generous financial aid). They're gradually building their profile up. The school just celebrated it's 50th anniversary but it's really had exponential growth since 2000.

I originally went to the top rated school in Florida, the University of Miami. I was less than impressed with the quality of education that I received. Too many TA's teaching classes for a private university. Took about a decade off and completed my degree at UCF. I took a more difficult degree path (Mathematics & Statistics), but the level of education I received in my program classes was top notch. Sure there are some "weaker" programs that catch a lot of the students that just want to do the minimum to get a degree. The school is actually very strong for computer science, math, engineering and other sciences (after all it was/is a tech school at heart). I hope they begin raise the profile/difficulty of the other majors (business especially). I took a few upper division business classes and they weren't very difficult. However, with 50k students it's difficult for the school to find a balance between difficulty and quantity. I'd rather see less programs and students and enhance the difficulty of the current programs that are a bit subpar.

I always got pissed that Elementary Education and Business majors were running around with 3.9 GPA's and I was busting my butt to get a 3.2 in my quant major.

Have a good buddy that got a masters and doctorate at UCF in Chemistry, raved about the school, program, etc. He's teaching at the college level now

I agree with the first half Mark, but not the end. UCF even in the Big XII is already recruiting alright in FL and SU won't beat them if they are winning even if they are in AAC. The group of seven conferences will get 1 bid to a big bowl every now, and if UCF doesn't go the Big XII they will still be a contender for that. If UCF goes to Big XII they will be like TCU in a bigger fish tank, but will have more losses on their annual schedule. SU is fine as long as we keep churning out bowl seasons and increasing the talent we bring in each season till we have a get 1 magical 1987 type season.

I was actually looking at their profile last night. I was expecting to see an admission of rate of 90%+ and was surprised to see in it in the high 40%s. Thats when i read about their History as being founded as a tech school to feed all the engineering going on at NASA and around the Cape.

What I was getting at, is that the "directional Moniker" SCREAMS small time. It shouldnt matter but it does. I am thinking if Central Florida was actually branded "Florida Tech" they'd be taken more seriously. Regardless of their onfield merits, even though they did beat Baylor last night. And almost beat USCe. I know they can't use the Tech moniker now becuase there is a college that does, and UCF has diversified into offering all degrees, but if they had a different name, I'm thinking they'd be better off.

dead horse alert: the bevo most definetly needs to be at 12...and the other 4 power confs need to somehow put the screws to them to get them to realize this. not having a champ game while the other 4 knock each other off and out of the F4, while the bevo just sits there and waits with its champ, is not an even playing surface.

if im ucf, byu and cincy, id be working the phones.

probably wont happen this year, maybe not next...but i wouldnt want to be caught with my pants down on this 'last' round when it goes down.

Last edited:
dead horse alert: the bevo most definetly needs to be at 12...and the other 5 power confs need to somehow put the screws to them to get them to realize this. not having a champ game while the other 4 knock each other off and out of the F4, while the bevo just sits there and waits with its champ is not an even playing surface.

if im ucf, byu and cincy, id be working the phones.

probably wont happen this year, maybe not next...but i wouldnt want to be caught with my pants down on this 'last' round when it goes down.
UCF should sent the Bevo office a "pot of gold", with 487 letters on why they should be in the b12 DAILY lol

I was actually looking at their profile last night. I was expecting to see an admission of rate of 90%+ and was surprised to see in it in the high 40%s. Thats when i read about their History as being founded as a tech school to feed all the engineering going on at NASA and around the Cape.

What I was getting at, is that the "directional Moniker" SCREAMS small time. It shouldnt matter but it does. I am thinking if Central Florida was actually branded "Florida Tech" they'd be taken more seriously. Regardless of their onfield merits, even though they did beat Baylor last night. And almost beat USCe. I know they can't use the Tech moniker now becuase there is a college that does, and UCF has diversified into offering all degrees, but if they had a different name, I'm thinking they'd be better off.

I think the University of New Jersey is available??;)

I think UCF just delivered their B12 conference application last night.
They may want to call Oliver Luck first and check on their travel budget.
Morgantown would be their closest conference location at 900 miles.
USF, Tulane and ECU would be closer in the AACk.

Yes, I know... it's all about the Benjamins.

Honestly, UCF/BYU to the Big XII would be the best for that conference.

I think with Texas having a new AD and the old AD being for 10 teams will give the Big XII a push towards 12. However, listening to Big XII fans(WVU fans for the most part) talk about the money the Big XII makes is so dumb. First, they make more per year because only 8 teams are getting full payments while WVU/TCU are taking less, and once they divide their money equally their AAV will go down. I love how they talk about their tier 3 rights like they are all Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas. Those 3 teams will make bucks with their tier 3 rights the other 7 will make a couple of million dollars with their tier 3 rights. I mean its obvious in the near future the Big XII will add 2 of UCF/BYU/Cincinnati/USF and get to 12 teams with a Championship game at JerryWorld. No ACC team is going to be making substantially less money than non-Texas Big XII team and that is because Texas has the LHN. However, trying to explain this to a WVU-Jihadists is like trying to get peace in the Middle East.