OT: UCLA, Steve Alford, and Bill Walton | Syracusefan.com

OT: UCLA, Steve Alford, and Bill Walton

CaptainJ

Disembodied?
I know that Steve Alford doesn't get much love around these parts, but just wanted to say he just earned some respect for me for suspending his top 2 leading scorers for a game for team violations in his first year at the school, and establishing a standard for which his players are going to be held to.

I was mostly only listening to the game for Bill Walton, but it ended up being one of the best comebacks I've seen all season. UCLA overcomes a 15 point deficit, culminating in a home run pass and 3 point shot at the end of regulation, but ultimately folds in the closing seconds of the 2nd OT. Walton pointed out the 2 suspended players must have felt "this big" after such an emotional loss, and the coach's point must have been made. The Pauley Pavilion had been electric as the comeback commenced, and throughout the both OT's, which were riddled with mistakes and shot clock violations. During a shot of the UCLA cheerleaders, Walton said, "Ah UCLA, so many things to love about it". I grinned and thought JarHeadJim would have appreciated that as much as I did. And a good point was made about the 2 players who replaced the suspended starters and the confidence they will have going into the post season after how they played in that game. Alford's son Bryce who normally averages 8ppg went off for 31. Can you imagine if we had bench players capable of that?

Walton is amazing. You would think that someone who followed the Dead on tour wouldn't be as sharp, but the guy is a library of a myriad of facts on every aspect of the game, as well as things that relate to basketball in any way at all, or not even. He is an excellent spokesman for his Alma Mater, the PAC 12, basketball, and humanity in general. I can't even remember the list of things I learned or was reminded of(like James Worthy's HOF acceptance speech, and UNC being the first public university, being he wished Worthy a happy birthday). The guy loves to give love to people. Some beautiful shots of UCLA were shown and Bill telling us the places we should visit such as the botanical gardens, if we ever visit the campus. Dave Pasch was busting his chops about what areas of campus Walton had actually visited that day, and Walton used it as an opportunity to say that even though they had the largest enrollment of California universities, they had a tight campus and the smallest footprint of them all. My memory isn't the greatest or I could list at least half a dozen other things I learned that I would have never heard from any other color commentator. That's not counting the entertaining mentions of people like Bob Weir, etc. I know plenty of others on here watch more PAC 12 games than myself, but I just wanted to give my impressions of this one game being I didn't think many folks on here other than Marsh would be watching it until the end.

Walton drives Pasch absolutely nuts. Especially when he gets off on these tangents and an exciting play happens and Pasch has to cut him short to actually tell what happened.

It's incredible. No one is more entertaining than Walton. For me, not close.

I am not a big Walton guy just because he doesnt pay attention and thinks the Sun rises and sets with the Pac 12 but I can live with him doing a game late at night. Helps keep me awake.

But for his injuries, would have been all time, top 10, if not top 5 player. Simply great and incredibly smart.

Billy Owens has more career NBA points than Bill Walton - crazy to think about. But I agree with you.

But for his injuries, would have been all time, top 10, if not top 5 player. Simply great and incredibly smart.
Billy Owens has more career NBA points than Bill Walton - crazy to think about. But I agree with you.

I looked up Walton's stats the other day [http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/w/waltobi01.html] (great site by the way).

I knew he missed a lot of games, but had no idea it was that many. I mean, he missed 3 entire SEASONS.

Walton drives Pasch absolutely nuts. Especially when he gets off on these tangents and an exciting play happens and Pasch has to cut him short to actually tell what happened.

Pasch was busting his chops quite a bit last night it seemed, so it seems to go both ways now. I generally am right onboard with you when some guy is blathering on while an exciting play is happening as it annoys the heck out of me. I think with Walton it's worth it though. Like I said I tuned in(on my PC) tonight just to listen to him while 2 unranked teams played. In the meantime, I gained some respect for Steve Alford and UCLA in one of the best comebacks I've seen in a long time. I wouldn't have seen it if not for Walton and owe the poster in your upset thread(I apologize to him as I forget who it was) a big thanks for mentioning it and you as well because you were the reason he mentioned it ;)

Agreed, Walton is the best. Like I said, saw him at a Phish show down in San Diego 10 years ago just doing a two step having a good old time. Engaging, talking to pretty much anyone who approached him.

That sounds awesome. I'd pay money for footage of him doing the 2 step lol. It's encouraging to hear that some celebrities are that approachable and down to earth. And like I said before, it seems like you can learn a more about the history of the game from listening to one of his broadcasts than you could from listening to 10 broadcasts of almost anyone else. The guy is truly a fan of the sport and would deserve HOF from his broadcast ability alone. I dont watch reality tv, but I would if Walton had a show.

I can't stand Walton. He thinks college basketball is the same as it was in 1974. His dislike for Howland was over the top. ESPN should not have allowed him to spew his dislike the way he did.

I can't stand Walton. He thinks college basketball is the same as it was in 1974. His dislike for Howland was over the top. ESPN should not have allowed him to spew his dislike the way he did.

Are you trying to say there was anything even remotely likeable about Ben Howland? The man who brought murderball disguised as basketball to the Big East.

Too bad Steve can't establish standards for himself.

"The Pauley Pavilion had been electric" What I noticed about the pavilon was that it was only 2/3 full in the good seats - didn't see any shots of the upper areas which probably means there weren't a lot of people up there either. Elite/blue blood status starts with the fan base - I'll say SU is looking good compared to UCLA in that regard.

I know that Steve Alford doesn't get much love around these parts, but just wanted to say he just earned some respect for me for suspending his top 2 leading scorers for a game for team violations in his first year at the school, and establishing a standard for which his players are going to be held to.

I was mostly only listening to the game for Bill Walton, but it ended up being one of the best comebacks I've seen all season. UCLA overcomes a 15 point deficit, culminating in a home run pass and 3 point shot at the end of regulation, but ultimately folds in the closing seconds of the 2nd OT. Walton pointed out the 2 suspended players must have felt "this big" after such an emotional loss, and the coach's point must have been made. The Pauley Pavilion had been electric as the comeback commenced, and throughout the both OT's, which were riddled with mistakes and shot clock violations. During a shot of the UCLA cheerleaders, Walton said, "Ah UCLA, so many things to love about it". I grinned and thought JarHeadJim would have appreciated that as much as I did. And a good point was made about the 2 players who replaced the suspended starters and the confidence they will have going into the post season after how they played in that game. Alford's son Bryce who normally averages 8ppg went off for 31. Can you imagine if we had bench players capable of that?

Walton is amazing. You would think that someone who followed the Dead on tour wouldn't be as sharp, but the guy is a library of a myriad of facts on every aspect of the game, as well as things that relate to basketball in any way at all, or not even. He is an excellent spokesman for his Alma Mater, the PAC 12, basketball, and humanity in general. I can't even remember the list of things I learned or was reminded of(like James Worthy's HOF acceptance speech, and UNC being the first public university, being he wished Worthy a happy birthday). The guy loves to give love to people. Some beautiful shots of UCLA were shown and Bill telling us the places we should visit such as the botanical gardens, if we ever visit the campus. Dave Pasch was busting his chops about what areas of campus Walton had actually visited that day, and Walton used it as an opportunity to say that even though they had the largest enrollment of California universities, they had a tight campus and the smallest footprint of them all. My memory isn't the greatest or I could list at least half a dozen other things I learned that I would have never heard from any other color commentator. That's not counting the entertaining mentions of people like Bob Weir, etc. I know plenty of others on here watch more PAC 12 games than myself, but I just wanted to give my impressions of this one game being I didn't think many folks on here other than Marsh would be watching it until the end.

Are you trying to say there was anything even remotely likeable about Ben Howland? The man who brought murderball disguised as basketball to the Big East.
Whether Ben Howland is likeable isn't the point. It's the agenda that Walton forced down our throat that was too much.

Whether Ben Howland is likeable isn't the point. It's the agenda that Walton forced down our throat that was too much.

Bill Walton can pound sand. I mute the TV when he's on.

Ben Howland and Steve Alford both need a swift kick to the james, but for completely different reasons.

I used to find Walton hilarious when he was doing nba games, now it is a little much, and would it kill the guy to wear a suit.

Bill Walton gives zero effs... Guy doesn't hold back, and for me it's entertaining. When he went off on digger the Thursday before his ring of honor ceremony and pretty much called him The devil I think I laughed for a solid 10 minutes.

I used to find Walton hilarious when he was doing nba games, now it is a little much, and would it kill the guy to wear a suit.

You know what? It actually might.

I'm sick of hearing Walton pontificate about Coach Wooden and his Pyramid of Success.
wooden_pyramid.jpg

Walton knows full fcuking well that the real pyramid includes blocks titled Payoffs, Deceptions, Fraud and Lies.

I can accept that Wooden was a great coach who built a dynasty within the culture of the time . . . but I don't have to swallow the utter bullshjt that he was Saint Wooden, Paragon of Integrity.

I'm sick of hearing Walton pontificate about Coach Wooden and his Pyramid of Success.
wooden_pyramid.jpg

Walton knows full fcuking well that the real pyramid includes blocks titled Payoffs, Deceptions, Fraud and Lies.

I can accept that Wooden was a great coach who built a dynasty within the culture of the time . . . but I don't have to swallow the utter bullshjt that he was Saint Wooden, Paragon of Integrity.

That is so out-dated. Everyone knows Ron Swanson's Pyramid of Greatness is the the true path to success. Someone get this to Walton.

Swanson_Pyramid_of_Greatness.jpg

Bill back at it again tonight... Dude is freaking classic. So entertaining. Dude loves Stanford

I always get the impression that for the most part Pasch enjoys working with Walton.

Maybe it's just me but I'd rather stab myself in the ear than listen to Walton blab on and on.

You can't pay for that interview with Sherman. Great stuff. Sherman is a smart dude, I really like the guy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom