OT--UCLA's Shabazz Muhammed declared ineligible | Syracusefan.com

OT--UCLA's Shabazz Muhammed declared ineligible

Howland is contacting Cal and his crooks to see how they do it at Kentucky, lol.

Seems like a pretty engaging and pleasant kid; still, hard to feel bad for Ben Howland. They'll probably work something out.

Why does everyone feel bad for the kid and hopes he plays so they can watch him play? It takes 2 to tangle. If he accepted illegal benefits, then screw him, let him sit.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

agree- i was looking forward to actually having a reason to watch pac 12 games again when i cant sleep...

Thats what the SWAC games are for.

Why does everyone feel bad for the kid and hopes he plays so they can watch him play? It takes 2 to tangle. If he accepted illegal benefits, then screw him, let him sit.

Who said anything about feeling bad for the kid?

We don't know the story, if we ever will

Adam Zagoria of SNY.tv has more details. Muhammad has been declared ineligible while the NCAA investigates possible improper benefits provided to Muhammad by a couple of family friends.

We know the NCAA can be pretty ridiculous. This could be something bad, or it could be something relatively harmless. Knowing the NCAA, I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to relatively harmless than anything.

Anyone know the background of his family? Does he come from money? I remember in the Fab Five documentary they were talking about Ed Martin, who was one of the big Michigan boosters, and some of the guys were saying stuff like "if you're poor and you don't have any good basketball shoes, and someone offers to buy you some, you're not gonna say no." This was more for younger kids, and I'm guessing UCLA is providing Shabazz with enough shoes, but I'm just saying. If a kid is poor and gets busted by the NCAA because someone was buying shoes or food for him, I'm going to feel bad for him even if he did technically break the rules. (Yes, we don't know if that is the case here)

We don't know the story, if we ever will

We know the NCAA can be pretty ridiculous. This could be something bad, or it could be something relatively harmless. Knowing the NCAA, I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to relatively harmless than anything.

Anyone know the background of his family? Does he come from money? I remember in the Fab Five documentary they were talking about Ed Martin, who was one of the big Michigan boosters, and some of the guys were saying stuff like "if you're poor and you don't have any good basketball shoes, and someone offers to buy you some, you're not gonna say no." This was more for younger kids, and I'm guessing UCLA is providing Shabazz with enough shoes, but I'm just saying. If a kid is poor and gets busted by the NCAA because someone was buying shoes or food for him, I'm going to feel bad for him even if he did technically break the rules. (Yes, we don't know if that is the case here)

The rules are dumb! Players should not have to pay for recruitment visits without a numeric limitation. When company recruits an employee who lives in a different part of the country the company pays for everything! This is not any different!

The Cliff's Notes version of Muhammad's recruitment is that he played for an adidas-sponsored AAU team and his sister, a professional tennis player who has never been ranked in the world's top 100, also has an adidas deal.

UCLA is an adidas school.

For more details, see "Muhammad's choice a shoe-in for Adidas school UCLA."

Yeah, just read the article. I was going to ask if 'family friend" meant exactly that, or it more likely meant someone who became a family friend when Shabazz became a top rated recruit.

Though to be honest, I'm still not sure how much it bothers me.

It would suck if it happened to us. But if the reason we have only got one legit one and done star(not counting Donte) in the last 15 years is because we can't cheat while other schools can then I agree with Bees.

Tired of seeing UK, UCLA, Uconn, OSU, Duke, UNC whoever actually does it get away with that garbage, because it costs us. It may have cost us Davis in what could have been one of the top 5 best ncaa teams ever. Then again I am not sure we had enough schollies to grab Davis and Rak.

Yeah, just read the article. I was going to ask if 'family friend" meant exactly that, or it more likely meant someone who became a family friend when Shabazz became a top rated recruit.

Though to be honest, I'm still not sure how much it bothers me.

This is what makes me not care, these guys should be allowed to make money and if I were their age I would do the same. I may make a better decision and keep the family out of it or deny it but still at 18, it's tough to blame the kid instead of the people in charge. And a lot of these guys deserve money for the revenue they bring regardless if they get scholarships, they still bring more money to the school.

This is what makes me not care, these guys should be allowed to make money and if I were their age I would do the same. I may make a better decision and keep the family out of it or deny it but still at 18, it's tough to blame the kid instead of the people in charge. And a lot of these guys deserve money for the revenue they bring regardless if they get scholarships, they still bring more money to the school.

Regarding this continued debate on paying the kids, I'm on the do not pay them side. A full time scholarship to a major university and all that encompasses speaks for itself. Furthermore, these kids use the university as well...as a vehicle to a larger payday down the road. The exposure these kids get on campuses, national televison, ESPN, etc. creates all this exposure, marketing potential, etc. they otherwise would never have had. Therefore, by the time they are ready/go professional, they're a well known commodity and can immediately reap the financial benefits without having to put up any of their cash/risk for such an immediate return on investment.

Here's a comparable analogy in my opinion. Look at American Idol and the plethera of shows like these that have launched (similar to the aforementioned platform/vehicle above) unknowns into stardom and financial winfalls. To name a few, Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Chris Daughtry, etc. were all unknowns and if it hadn't been for American Idol they would certainly not be where they're at today.