OT: VILLE N BYU NEXT? | Syracusefan.com

OT: VILLE N BYU NEXT?

ND had to be giving serious thought to their options even before this move. Now that most every BE member with clout has/is/will be leaving the Big East, they seriously need to be considering a move themselves.

Could you imagine if ND actually openly announced they were pursuing a conference affiliation? The bidding war on that could be immense.

i know a lot of people don't like ND, but do you think the "inn will be full" ever for ND at any conference?

i think people will be more than glad to make room when ND is ready.

nd is just starting to sweat-

a few more moves and they may have no choice

Makes a lot of sense for Big12 and further emphasizes why we should be burning the tires to get out of this train wreck of a conference asap. If Ville leaves we have even more scheduling woes.

But I doubt Ville would leave for 2012...the B12 only needed 10 to make the contract valid. My prediction is we are still here for 12-13 along with Ville and Pitt. I bet Ville and BYU would try to join for 13-14 and we try to join the ACC at the same time.

Seriously, ND is going nowhere. Nowhere.

If the BCS drops conference auto-bids and becomes a Final 4 as many expect, then ND has no need to ever join a conference for football.

and seriously, SU isn't going to be playing ACC football next year either.

SU has a more likely chance of playing in the ACC Tournament this year than ND joining a conference.

That's sad. I didn't originally expect us to be out next year, but the way things have developed, I now regard it as pathetic if we aren't. Nothing like meekly staying with the wife-beater-wearing abuser because you have no other real option.

I don't disagree, I would like to be out too. I just realize the chances of that happening are probably almost 0% while the chances ND is forced to join a conference at some point is more than 0%.

This is all setting up perfectly, for Texas and Notre Dame to the ACC. ;)

eh, the guy people don't like, swaim has said that for awhile now. first it was ville/byu then byu balked about something and it went to ville/cincy. now he's been back on ville/byu because they have been working out their issues. not sure if it was tv stuff or maybe sundays.

But I doubt Ville would leave for 2012...the B12 only needed 10 to make the contract valid. My prediction is we are still here for 12-13 along with Ville and Pitt. I bet Ville and BYU would try to join for 13-14 and we try to join the ACC at the same time.

I agree that would be the more logical scenario but I'm wondering if they dangle enough cash in front of Ville such that it makes economic sense to follow WVU's lead, they bolt. If BYU also announces they're coming in next year then I'd say that would increase the chances of Ville bolting.

Great. A 15 team football conference and a 25 team basketball conference. Or something like that.

Great. A 15 team football conference and a 25 team basketball conference. Or something like that.
Huh?

It would be 7 - 3 = 4 plus 6 new members which would be 10. Navy will make it 11 in 2015 (?). Possibly add Air Force to get to 12.

The only way that ND joins a conference is if they begin to struggle with scheduling and they do not renew their tv contract with ND. If that happens i think they look at ACC first.

Huh?

It would be 7 - 3 = 4 plus 6 new members which would be 10. Navy will make it 11 in 2015 (?). Possibly add Air Force to get to 12.
Was talking about the "Big Tent" for 2013/14 and being somewhat facetious. Carry on.

It was "easy" for SU to turn its back on the Gtown, UConn, Big East rivalries but I don't know how ND would be able to join the ACC and its 9 game conference schedule. They'd only have 3 non conference games and they already annually play Michigan, USC, Stanford, Navy, Michigan State, Purdue and BC. No school would play the same 12 teams every year since it wouldn't allow them to expose their brand to new markets. Even if they only play 1 new opponent each year and rotate games against 2 of the 6 annual opponents, some alums are going to be upset that they're killing rivalries with the other 4.

If they go with the plus 1 model and eliminate the BCS, there's no incentive for ND to join a conference. As much as I'd like them to be in the ACC (or even B1G), I don't think it's smart for them.

...then again, I also was certain we were going to be in the Coastal Division

ND could likely make an 8 game conference schedule a condition for acceptance of an invitation. I suspect the ACC would go along with that, although it makes for more work for each conference member to schedule an extra OOC contest.

Actually, if the conference only expands to 15 members then an 8 game conference schedule makes a lot of sense.

ND could likely make an 8 game conference schedule a condition for acceptance of an invitation. I suspect the ACC would go along with that, although it makes for more work for each conference member to schedule an extra OOC contest.

nope for once let them get the same terms as everyone else-otherwise they are "texas" and the acc dont need that crap

nope for once let them get the same terms as everyone else-otherwise they are "texas" and the acc dont need that crap
If all ACC schools play 8 conference games they would be on the same terms.

It's a negotiation:
ACC: "We think it would be great if y'all were to join our conference. Just think of all the TV revenue we'd generate."

ND: "Sounds great! We're all in if you can go back to 8 conference games. Also, make sure that all members own the TV rights to their home OOC games."

ACC: "Sure thing. Welcome to the ACC!"

The BigXII is going through similar discussions with BYU wrt Sunday games.

as long as they dont get any sweeter a deal than everyone else

I think ND's next move is to ask the ACC for a non-football affiliation. Hopefully Swofford is strong enough to say all or nothing.

Notre Dame can't be happy to begin playing the dregs of the Big Skidmark in all their Olympic sports. The hoops league is going to be on par with the Atlantic 10 after Louisville leaves.

In the highly unlikely event ND says yes to bringing their football to the ACC (say, keeping their home revenue from the NBC contract, but throwing all the away games into the ACC pool), then I would make a move for Penn State. And I would cream in my pants to be in that league.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom