OT: Wegmans Now Open in Massachusetts | Syracusefan.com

OT: Wegmans Now Open in Massachusetts

While they are driving through the area - maybe they could dump one off in the Albany area. It's not like it's a growing area or anything.

I am in SE MA. The Wegmans is about 55-60 minutes away. My neighbor is originally from Niagara Falls. She is at that Wegmans at least twice a week. lol

There are Wegman's stores in the Virginia suburbs of DC.

People become starry-eyed when discussing them.

As a two-time Rochester, NY resident, it seems extraordinarily strange to have people so in love with a grocery store. We had them in Rochester, where they started, and it didn't seem like Heaven to me. I get into the one in Canadaigua several times during a typical Summer. No bells sound in my head or harp music in the background. And since the Wegman's all live on that Lake, you'd think that would be a good one.

A very strange phenomenon. These people talk about Wegman's like others talk about Paris.

I never got the love affair. It's a super market. I go in I go out. Really not a big deal to wax-poetic about.

Somehow they've turned shopping at Wegman's into a foodie/class status symbol. I'm not sure if that was a strategy or just dumb luck on their part.

Yuengling seems to have the same kind of following, which is even more bizarre to me than the Wegman's obsession folks have.

I lived in Connecticut for a year. The grocery stores all sucked. I'll never forget the time I accidentally handed the cashier the wrong loyalty card. After handing her the card, I looked back down at my wallet to get my debit card and after struggling for a bit to get it out, I looked up to see her glaring at me. Most of the customer service was that bad. You had to bag your own groceries. If you went to the deli counter and asked for something that wasn't pre-sliced, you'd get the impression that you were inconveniencing the person behind the counter.

I missed Wegmans when I was there and was glad to be able to shop at Wegmans again when I moved back home.

A very strange phenomenon. These people talk about Wegman's like others talk about Paris.

Or like cute little blondes in Drew Brees jerseys talk about Charlie Loeb...

I get into the one in Canadaigua several times during a typical Summer. No bells sound in my head or harp music in the background. And since the Wegman's all live on that Lake, you'd think that would be a good one.

When the one in Canandaigua first opened up, it was considered the best of the best. Today, it's just another mega supermarket. Don't get me wrong, I love the Wegmans stores. Better than the others I have had to shop at like, Krogers, Piggly Wiggly, Tops, etc. I am a bit bias as well as I have a friend that is a front office manager for Wegmans corporate.

As a two-time Rochester, NY resident, it seems extraordinarily strange to have people so in love with a grocery store. We had them in Rochester, where they started, and it didn't seem like Heaven to me. I get into the one in Canadaigua several times during a typical Summer. No bells sound in my head or harp music in the background. And since the Wegman's all live on that Lake, you'd think that would be a good one.

Agreed - growing up in Rochester, there were the new ones and the old ones (which we called Wegmo's). These new motherships they are building are too big. And like Stern, I go in, get what I need, and leave. I don't understand a supermarket being a destination.

I never got the love affair. It's a super market. I go in I go out. Really not a big deal to wax-poetic about.

You wouldn't be saying this if your choice of supermarkets was Price Chopper, Hannafords and Shop Rite. I'd love a few Wegmans in Albany and the Hudson Valley but the rumor here is they have a no-compete agreement with Price Chopper. My wife insists we stop at the Wegmans in Easton whenever we visit my daughter at Lafayette College.

Few things about Wegmans. You kind of take it for granted when you live around them and shop there. When i lived in Boston the best you got was Stop and Shop, and Star Market. Shopping was awful! i used to shop in Syracuse and return to Boston with a bunch of stuff. Now they have Whole Foods (Rip Off) and Trader Joes. Wegmans blows them away.

Never understood the appeal (or odd fascination) upstate people have with Wegman's either. It's just a supermarket with less brands (since it seems like they sell mostly Wegman's brand) and non-white floors.

One in Maryland too, another one coming there as well.

It is kind of funny how people do think it's the second coming, but I guess if you walk into enough Giant's with your feet sticking to the floor, a seafood section of bad fish, and a deli that's even more terrifying, Wegman's becomes a pretty good option. And Giant is an upgrade from Safeway where you add outdated milk to the equation.

I moved from Rochester to Chicago. Try going to Jewel or Dominicks. These places are filthy. Walk into the Pittsford Wegmans, there is no comparison. The place is spotless and the size of a small mall. The SUBS alone at Wegmans are better than anything they offer out here. They have high end grocery stores out here, like Whole Foods but they're a joke. They think if you stick organic in front of an item they can charge you twice the amount. I'm from Cortland originally and always make a trek up to Ithaca just to grab a sub when I'm home.

Exactly ... if you grew up with Wegmans, then you have no idea how bad the other options are out there in other markets.

There is a reason they are so successful and that they routinely place well as 'best place to work' and as one of the top grocery chains in the world.

I moved from Rochester to Chicago. Try going to Jewel or Dominicks. These places are filthy. Walk into the Pittsford Wegmans, there is no comparison. The place is spotless and the size of a small mall. The SUBS alone at Wegmans are better than anything they offer out here. They have high end grocery stores out here, like Whole Foods but they're a joke. They think if you stick organic in front of an item they can charge you twice the amount. I'm from Cortland originally and always make a trek up to Ithaca just to grab a sub when I'm home.

Agree 1000%

Whole Foods is crap
Trader Joes is crap

Down here in San Antonio our market is dominated by a SuperMarket chain called "HEB" mmm thinking that wouldn't go over too well in the BOS-WASH. :eek:

HEB has good prices but nothing special...on par with Price Chopper.

I like their potato salad but hate the fact that they built a store on the golf course I used to play all the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZG9doaBUvg

The subs are okay, and the pizza (at least cheese) wasn't awful if you put some garlic/red pepper flakes on it, everything else I found to be incredibly bland and tasteless. I never had the potato salad though.

I lived in Connecticut for a year. The grocery stores all sucked. I'll never forget the time I accidentally handed the cashier the wrong loyalty card. After handing her the card, I looked back down at my wallet to get my debit card and after struggling for a bit to get it out, I looked up to see her glaring at me. Most of the customer service was that bad. You had to bag your own groceries. If you went to the deli counter and asked for something that wasn't pre-sliced, you'd get the impression that you were inconveniencing the person behind the counter.

I missed Wegmans when I was there and was glad to be able to shop at Wegmans again when I moved back home.

If you lived in CT and weren't shopping here: http://www.stewleonards.com/

... well then that's on you.

Stew Leonard's > Wegman's >>> Stop & Shop (and all the rest)

One in Maryland too, another one coming there as well.

It is kind of funny how people do think it's the second coming, but I guess if you walk into enough Giant's with your feet sticking to the floor, a seafood section of bad fish, and a deli that's even more terrifying, Wegman's becomes a pretty good option. And Giant is an upgrade from Safeway where you add outdated milk to the equation.

The Giant in our old neighborhood was frightening.

The Safeway at Belle View and on Ft Hunt Road (if you move back) are much, much better.

Whole Foods is incredibly overrated. Lunch buffet has 3 different kinds of wings, everyday. Didn't know wings were a good eat at your desk meal. :noidea:

Haha, well Stew's is an unfair comparison for any supermarket. That place is incredible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True, Stew's is as much vacation destination as it is supermarket. ;)

The Giant in our old neighborhood was frightening.

The Safeway at Belle View and on Ft Hunt Road (if you move back) are much, much better.

Whole Foods is incredibly overrated. Lunch buffet has 3 different kinds of wings, everyday. Didn't know wings were a good eat at your desk meal. :noidea:

Whole Foods is Annapolis' Wegmans or Harris Teeter, people think it's the greatest thing to hit such a historic city. It's so depressing. And they can't even sell beer or wine, which makes it even more useless.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom