OT: What are your five favorite American cities? | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

OT: What are your five favorite American cities?

1. Nashville - great food, music, sports, people
2. Providence - very under rated place
3. Boston - lived there for five years. Love the city and what it has except for the people.
4. Research Triangle (Raleigh/Durham) - went to school in the area. Enough "south" but not too much.
5. San Diego - only spent a day there but it was great.

Looking forward to visiting Asheville in July. Still trying to get to Charleston and Savannah.

I left out all the places back home since I will always view Rochester/Syracuse/Finger Lakes with rose colored glasses.

I've never been to Naples... but isnt that more of a retirement city?
Less and less in recent years. Still a town for the well-heeled and older generation, especially near the water, but the population is booming there and it isn't all elderly. Great restaurants. Great beaches (I'm a beach guy). And I love the gulf coast. Something to be said for a town where every night, it is an event to watch the sun set. In that respect, similar to Key West and other gulf coast cities. I've just spent much more time in Naples than in the Keys.

1. NYC
2. Washington DC
3. Boston
4. Asheville NC
5. Moab, UT
Moab is brutal in the summer but a great place indeed. Asheville is the contra dance capital of the world. If you live to dance, Asheville is heaven.

Less and less in recent years. Still a town for the well-heeled and older generation, especially near the water, but the population is booming there and it isn't all elderly. Great restaurants. Great beaches (I'm a beach guy). And I love the gulf coast. Something to be said for a town where every night, it is an event to watch the sun set. In that respect, similar to Key West and other gulf coast cities. I've just spent much more time in Naples than in the Keys.
Agree, best beaches are FL west coast ie Gulf. What about the Monitor Lizards on Sanibel Island?

Really can't remember. We went to the hot springs and then took one of the trails up a hill for approximately 2 miles so we could get a view of the surroundings. After that we headed back to Fairbanks and found a stream along that we hiked for approximately another mile. When we returned to the base to talk to my friend, he and others said we were crazy because we were not prepared correctly. They stated we should have been prepared for bears in the region and we just hiked with some water. OH well we survived and it was the best hiking because there were no signs of civilization when were were out there.

White water rafting was pretty scary at times but again I can scratch it off my bucket list. When you have to sign a waiver for the possibility of death that puts some perspective on the harsh conditions in Alaska. The views going down the Nenana River was gorgeous and unfortunately Mt. McKinley had cloud cover. I only regret that I did't have a camera with me.
I,ll be in Denali next week. First to Talkeetna and some mushing, north to hike Kesugi Ridge above Byers Lake, maybe some kayaking on the lake, on to Denali, north again to horseback riding out of Healy and then north again to Fairbanks.

Jones Beach, the Hamptons, Fire Island, the Jersey shore...

First of all, the Hamptons and the Jersey shore are no more NYC than is Virginia Beach . Second of all, Nantucket and Cape Cod beat them all anyway

And as long as SU plays at MSG and the Meadowlands, it has great college sports.

don't be silly . . . there is a lot more to college sports than two college basketball games against crappy opponents

if those are your standards, then next year Lahaina, HI is number one "college sports" because SU will play several games there . . . and it's beaches might be just a little bit nicer than Fire Island

yep, that's a fun little town with amazing views. one of the few towns in maui that combines good restaurants and nightlife with all the scenic beauty stuff. anyone going out for the game next november check out the Aloha Mixed Plate for good, cheap local food and good happy hour specials - right on the beach.
and try to take the time one night to swing around to the other side of the island for Mama's Fish House

I,ll be in Denali next week. First to Talkeetna and some mushing, north to hike Kesugi Ridge above Byers Lake, maybe some kayaking on the lake, on to Denali, north again to horseback riding out of Healy and then north again to Fairbanks.

How long are you going to be in Fairbanks? I'll be back in Denali, Sunday and Monday. If you get thirsty while you're in Fairbanks, let me know!

since we are all mentioning Canadian cities, let me put in a vote for another North American destination . . . Punta Mita, a peninsula about 25 miles northwest of Puerto Vallarta. It is my new go-to destination. I'm heading back down next week, my third vacation there in 14 months. The sea food is amazing and the tequila is first class. Whale watching, swimming with the dolphins, surfing in the cool little town of Sayulita, and two championship courses for the golfers out there.
full-punta-mita-four-season.jpg

Whale watching, swimming with the dolphins, surfing in the cool little town of Sayulita, and two championship courses for the golfers out there.

My sister is actually heading to Sayulita for my cousin's wedding in a couple weeks. Any other specific suggestions for her?

Moab is brutal in the summer but a great place indeed. Asheville is the contra dance capital of the world. If you live to dance, Asheville is heaven.
anyone else just google contra dance??

and after reading, all i have to say is...good god, man.

'if you live to dance, Asheville is heaven'...

where do we go from here....:noidea:

Oh Lord

and try to take the time one night to swing around to the other side of the island for Mama's Fish House
We should all go there during the tourney.

How long are you going to be in Fairbanks? I'll be back in Denali, Sunday and Monday. If you get thirsty while you're in Fairbanks, let me know!
June 1 in denali, june 3 in fairbanks.

Antiprodigy wrote:
Absolutely hate cities. People are over-rated.

Historian/anthropologist/Renaissance man Will Durant perhaps put it best:

"I love humanity. It's PEOPLE I can't stand."

Agree, best beaches are FL west coast ie Gulf. What about the Monitor Lizards on Sanibel Island?
Love seeing them. I like Sanibel (I'd actually love it if it weren't so darned difficult to get on to and off of). Great shelling.

i'll go with
1. toronto
2. burlington vt.
3. hilton head s.c
4. nyc.
5. key west fla.

these are the destinations i find i return to most. (except for family BS)
i guess an ideal trip for me might be hitting both portlands via canadian rail. never seen either.maybe next fall. roll on out to the west coast and fly home.

i'll go with
1. toronto
2. burlington vt.
3. hilton head s.c
4. nyc.
5. key west fla.

these are the destinations i find i return to most. (except for family BS)
i guess an ideal trip for me might be hitting both portlands via canadian rail. never seen either.maybe next fall. roll on out to the west coast and fly home.
Toronto is good too. It was even better when we were on the right end of the exchange rate. ;)

Gee, guess I haven't been to enough places to fairly assess. A few places I like include San Fran, NYC, Boulder, CO (foothills of mountains), and Ft. Myers/Sanibel Island. Although not a city, love the drive down coastal highway Rt. 1 along the California coast south of San Fran.

Since the initial thread was American cities:

Boston. Hands down. Not close. A lot to offer in a town that's easy to get around.

San Fran. I'm a sucker for cities on the ocean.

NYC. Love it during the holidays.

Chicago. The people there are so damn friendly.

No. 5 is tough. Haven't been to Seattle or Portland and I'm sure I'd like them. I think of places like Newport, RI, Cape May, NJ and Bar Harbor, Maine. as towns. All of them are excellent. Haven't been to Charleston, and I think I'd like it.

Probably have to give the nod to Denver just a bit over to San Diego. But with another visit to both, I could go either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gee, guess I haven't been to enough places to fairly assess. A few places I like include San Fran, NYC, Boulder, CO (foothills of mountains), and Ft. Myers/Sanibel Island. Although not a city, love the drive down coastal highway Rt. 1 along the California coast south of San Fran.

Route 1 rocks, especially driving it in a Porsche 356 Cabriolet. Then there's Nepenthe, a little eatery from heaven hanging off a cliff by the Pacific Ocean. You're makin' me homesick.-VBOF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom