OT: Why I like Dabo, but trying hard to hate Clemson! | Syracusefan.com

OT: Why I like Dabo, but trying hard to hate Clemson!

DoctorBombay

Hall of Fame
I really have no quarrel with Clemson football- not that I love them, but I don't particularly hate them. Dabo is a great coach and seems like a genuinely good guy. HCDinoFricken'Babers respects and likes him, which tells me a lot! And honestly, we haven't yet dealt them a major, season-altering loss to build the hatred necessary for a good rivalry.
And then you have guys like gbo coming here and representing himself like a true Southern gentleman, in the process becoming a welcome fixture to the board.
Here in Charlotte, Clemson fans are...tolerated. Not yet obnoxious, but kinda fun and quirky- even with all their winning lately. We have to hang a gut-wrenching beatdown on these guys, just so we can start to loathe them in earnest...fate demands it!!
Anyway, the clincher comes when Dabo goes and does something classy like this:

Last edited:
I’ve got six things that I’m clinging to:

1. My cousin who grew up in CNY and moved to Charlotte in the early 10’s started talking all that “we” crap with Clemson around 2012-13 or so. Like “yeah, we got FSU away but if we can take that one...”. FOH. You can’t tell me he’s the only one. There was a major Clemson bandwagoning at some point and I don’t like it.

2. On a related note, before they had accomplished anything, everyone was talking like they were some special program. NOW, they’ve done it. But I didn’t care for the gun jumping. IMO, it might’ve even helped them. Just that extra positive narrative around the program when they were just another pretty good program. Annoying.

3. CJ Spiller referred to Cuse as “scrubs” on Twitter when he was a Bill and at the Dome for the 2013 game. I’d call him a bust if I was petty...and I am. That’s why I even remember this in the first place. Real, real petty. Come to the Dome this year and talk that crap, you scrubby little washed up bust.

4. That rock. It’s...a rock. Clemson fans are doing what they’re supposed to, but the rest of CFB needs to stop pretending that a stupid rock is some amazing tradition.

5. That Boulware psycho that supplexed one of our guys. Dirty, dirty player. And their fans were really whooping it up on that supplex.

6. Their fans were booing our injuries in that 16-6 game a few years ago.

1. My cousin who grew up in CNY and moved to Charlotte in the early 10’s started talking all that “we” crap with Clemson around 2012-13 or so. Like “yeah, we got FSU away but if we can take that one...”. FOH. You can’t tell me he’s the only one. There was a major Clemson bandwagoning at some point and I don’t like it.

2. On a related note, before they had accomplished anything, everyone was talking like they were some special program. NOW, they’ve done it. But I didn’t care for the gun jumping. IMO, it might’ve even helped them. Just that extra positive narrative around the program when they were just another pretty good program. Annoying.

3. CJ Spiller referred to Cuse as “scrubs” on Twitter when he was a Bill and at the Dome for the 2013 game. I’d call him a bust if I was petty...and I am. That’s why I even remember this in the first place. Real, real petty. Come to the Dome this year and talk that crap, you scrubby little washed up bust.

4. That rock. It’s...a rock. Clemson fans are doing what they’re supposed to, but the rest of CFB needs to stop pretending that a stupid rock is some amazing tradition.

5. That Boulware psycho that supplexed one of our guys. Dirty, dirty player. And their fans were really whooping it up on that supplex.

Bastards!

I say this all the time. We are following in their footbsteps. We can be that team. Not a doubt in my mind. Dino is the right guy and Dabo respects him. He sees the the intangibles.

IT kent me from going back in ‘16. A vacation did last year.
I might’ve give it another shot in 2020.

I don’t believe I’ve ever been as angry at another fan base as I was that day... :mad:

Not being able to hate Clemson is like not being able to hate Iran.

I like Dabo and like what they’ve done. It’s impressive. Dabo is if nothing else a great coach and an authentic guy. Counts for a lot - a lot of his contemporaries are creeps.

I don’t like overly sensitive their fans can be (gbo excluded) over small stuff. Remember when they got all huffy over one of our players choosing our QB (Hunt) over theirs? The rock and all that pomp is kinda over done.

Now N.C. State fans?

Seeing how Shafer coached MTSU to fake injuries, not sure I can blame them for that anymore.

Meh. Didn’t like when they did it, hated it more when Shafer did it. It’s weak BS no matter what.

Hah

DoctorBombay TheCusian

giphy.gif

I like Dabo and like what they’ve done. It’s impressive. Dabo is if nothing else a great coach and an authentic guy. Counts for a lot - a lot of his contemporaries are creeps.

I don’t like overly sensitive their fans can be (gbo excluded) over small stuff. Remember when they got all huffy over one of our players choosing our QB (Hunt) over theirs? The rock and all that pomp is kinda over done.

Now N.C. State fans?
NC State fans are loathsome.
Wannabe winners in all the major sports, and literally the red headed stepchild of the Carolinas.
Every season is THE season they get over the hump, and just like clockwork, they do the Wolfpack face plant. Rinse and repeat! :rolleyes:

Wish I could hate them, but they've all earned my respect.

The only player I don't like is Trevor Lawrence. I'd say it's the look, but really, I'm just pissed that the kid is so damn good, straight outta high school. And well, that's on me, not him.

Sometimes, when I try to hate them, I watch this clip. Then by the end... I can't .

Dabo won me over when he went in the Cuse locker room after the 2017 win to congratulate the players. I don't want to like him, but I do.

Same here. That was a classy move by Dabo. But also after that game, I believe I saw most of the Clemson team stay around the sidelines or come onto the field to shake hands and congratulate the SU players. That comes from a coach, too. Finally, there was that Clemson fan, a woman around 40 who shrilled and screamed at every gain of more than 3 yards. Thanks God the SU team was able to shut her up!!

I pretty much dislike ALL teams in the ACC, except for the 'Cuse, of course. However, I really, really HATE Va Tech and their fans. Clemson and the good ol' boys are closing in on Va Tech. Although not a full member of the ACC, ND fans are the worse.

I pretty much dislike ALL teams in the ACC, except for the 'Cuse, of course. However, I really, really HATE Va Tech and their fans. Clemson and the good ol' boys are closing in on Va Tech. Although not a full member of the ACC, ND fans are the worse.
ND’s great redeeming quality is that they drive Michigan nuts.

As a part of the ACC deal with ND - we get all non-football sports and a scheduling agreement in football - but reports indicate their fans were excluded and to be derided at every turn

I really have no quarrel with Clemson football- not that I love them, but I don't particularly hate them. Dabo is a great coach and seems like a genuinely good guy. HCDinoFricken'Babers respects and likes him, which tells me a lot! And honestly, we haven't yet dealt them a major, season-altering loss to build the hatred necessary for a good rivalry.
And then you have guys like gbo coming here and representing himself like a true Southern gentleman, in the process becoming a welcome fixture to the board.
Here in Charlotte, Clemson fans are...tolerated. Not yet obnoxious, but kinda fun and quirky- even with all their winning lately. We have to hang a gut-wrenching beatdown on these guys, just so we can start to loathe them in earnest...fate demands it!!
Anyway, the clincher comes when Dabo goes and does something classy like this:

I don't think beating them will make us hate them, but it may make them hate us, and that's when it could get fun.

Seeing how Shafer coached MTSU to fake injuries, not sure I can blame them for that anymore.
To be fair, our fans boo the other team's injuries unless the player has a visible injury.

I don't think beating them will make us hate them, but it may make them hate us, and that's when it could get fun.
This time when we beat them, I’d love nothing more than to sport SU gear all over Metrolina. Last time it was like; “Oh, how cute. You actually won- that’s adorable”!
This time... i want them to feel the pain. Yes, please! :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom