OT: Why I like Dabo, but trying hard to hate Clemson! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Why I like Dabo, but trying hard to hate Clemson!

On number 5. There was a Tigerboard post I took exception to. Some posters were upset that we had knocked out their QB 2 years in a row. But TL just learned a freshman lesson, even the announcers said don't lower your shoulder and try for 2-3 extra yards as a QB (unless you are ED, of course). Called us a dirty team. I was thinking Hey! Wait a minute, QB's Boulware!! You thought that was fine and didn't make you a dirty team?! I can work up a bit of hate when I think of that one.

TigerNet has this thread linked over there with a bunch of posters being little b**ches about everything.

Theres 10x more respect for Clemson on this board, than there is criticism, so I’m not exactly sure what their whining is all about.

TigerNet has this thread linked over there with a bunch of posters being little b**ches about everything.

Theres 10x more respect for Clemson on this board, than there is criticism, so I’m not exactly sure what their whining is all about.

Let me guess...

“Something, something, something, Yankees”
“Yada yada yada rude”
“Blah blah blah Boeheim”
“Wah wah wah Canada”

Go Orange!

I forgot to list that Chad Kelly toolbag. Make him number 7.

Dabo won me over when he went in the Cuse locker room after the 2017 win to congratulate the players. I don't want to like him, but I do.

How many other P5 coaches would do the same? From the outside looking in, Dabo has been nothing but class and it seems to be genuine. This is especially impressive to me given the incredible amount of success and the NCs.

If I "hated" Dabo, and I don't, it would probably more about envy, jealousy, and "maturity" issues.

For a fanbase that’s pretty much owned the ACC & argurably all of cfb over the last 5 years, they’re very very thin-skinned!
Not a good look. :rolleyes::p;)

In future years the DinoDabo Trophy will be hosted by the winning team in the SU-Clemson matchup on an annual basis. It sure would look nice next to the Schwartzwalder Trophy. Maybe start the trophy in the trophy case of the last winning team in a post season matchup? Would that be the 41-0 Gator Bowl drubbing of Clemson by SU in 1996?

I’ll go on record saying that at no point in the history of Clemson has it not sucked.

I can pretty confidentially say the same is true for both Dabo and the ‘state’ of South Carolina.

For anybody who doesn’t know, Clemson was founded by a group of people who committed treason in response to/the face of reconstruction efforts.

Last edited:
I’ll go on record saying that at no point in the history of Clemson has it not sucked.

I can pretty confidentially say the same is true for both Dabo and the ‘state’ of South Carolina.

For anybody who doesn’t know, Clemson was founded by a group of people who committed treason in response to/the face of reconstruction efforts.
Not going to hate on them for the sins of their Great great great Grandfathers. Everyone sucked back then.

Maybe if there's enough trash talk on Tigernet, I actually find a reason, for a team I very much respect.

Not going to hate on them for the sins of their Great great great Grandfathers. Everyone sucked back then.

Maybe if there's enough trash talk on Tigernet, I actually find a reason, for a team I very much respect.
Yeah, "Remember the Reconstruction" is not exactly a rallying cry for a new rivalry.

Last edited:
Yeah, "Remember the Reconstruction" is not exactly a rallying cry for a new rivalry.;
I love history, so I appreciated the sentiment, but yeah, NO. Better to judge a man for who HE/SHE is today.

I'll guess he read the Damn Yankee, classless clown stuff on Tigernet. THAT's fair game. (but I CAN'T stand some of the arrogant pr!cks from the Northeast, too... ;-) ) I was in the Carolina's a couple weeks ago. Some real decent people down there. I think their fans can be some of the best. Had my Cuse hat on, and a few stopped me to talk football. They had nothing but respect. Like that both sites linked each other for a little trash talk. Hope that continues.

We're going to have to beat them again for that rivalry to gain traction. I love that Baber's knows how to match up against them.. We shall see.

Last edited:
We're going to have to beat them again for that rivalry to gain traction. I love that Baber's knows how to match up against them.. We shall see.
This is key. My definition of rivals is a team that takes something away from you. So GaTech-UGA tv can hype as rivals, but GTech has not taken anything away from Georgia in so long, the feeling is not there. But Alabama-Ga, for Ga yes, Bama not til they lose the SEC.

If we play well against Clemson but lose by 14 or so it won't matter to their fanbase, we will just be another conference kitten to be toyed with. We'll see.

How about systemically feeling up opposing players, while the coach is baptizing kids on the football field?

(To be clear, I do believe that baptizing someone on a football field vs a church is weird, especially at a public school, but my intent isn’t so much to cast judgement on that action as it is to hilight a hypocracy of a ‘better than thou’ attitude while turning a blind eye to something that I believe most people would consider somewhere between weird and morally reprehensible.)

There’s no end to the weirdness that’s come out of Clemson. My point wasn’t that we should hold everyone accountable for the sins of their ancestors.* Nobody would like anybody in such a world. My point was that Clemson has a long and storied history of being unlikeable from their very founding until the present day. It’s hard to find reasons to like them - aside from this board’s insecurities mixed with a few encouraging words from their coach to our (current) coach.

But switching gears a little toreference some subsequent posts, we aren’t rivals, and we almost certainly never will be. Aside from an odd year here and there, this game will never have any added traction beyond the competency of the teams on the field. A #X Clemson vs. a #Y Syracuse will not matter more than a #X FSU vs. a #Y SU. The same isn’t true for schools like WVU, PSU, and BC. Clemson and SU are too different, and they’re too far apart.

*Although, in all fairness, I’d be willing to bet that many in their fan base would gladly bring up that piece of their history with little or no prompting.

Last edited:
How about systemically feeling up opposing players, while the coach is baptizing kids on the football field?

(To be clear, I do believe that baptizing someone on a football field vs a church is weird, especially at a public school, but my intent isn’t so much to cast judgement on that action as it is to hilight a hypocracy of a ‘better than thou’ attitude while turning a blind eye to something that I believe most people would consider somewhere between weird and morally reprehensible.)

There’s no end to the weirdness that’s come out of Clemson. My point wasn’t that we should hold everyone accountable for the sins of their ancestors.* Nobody would like anybody in such a world. My point was that Clemson has a long and storied history of being unlikeable from their very founding until the present day. It’s hard to find reasons to like them - aside from this board’s insecurities mixed with a few encouraging words from their coach to our (current) coach.

(1)Disagree in part about teams becoming rivals. If SU is at the beginning of a meaningful national run in football, and Clemson is the competition, you bet your sweet sassy molassy we'd become rivals, and quick! Wins and losses vs one another equals rivalries, not histories, geography, culture, or anything else. Remember "Catholics vs Convicts"? That was a great rivalry built upon nothing more than who was in each other's way.

(2) Have no idea what the first sentence in your post is about. Please elaborate? Much obliged!

Last edited:
I probably wouldn't use that site as the measuring stick for Clemson fandom...
gbo I think someone over there call you the traitorious concubine a few months ago

(1)Disagree in part about teams becoming rivals. If SU is at the beginning of a meaningful national run in football, and Clemson is the competition, you bet your sweet sassy molassy we'd become rivals, and quick! Wins and losses vs one other equals rivalries, not histories, geography, culture, or anything else. Remember "Catholics vs Convicts"? That was a great rivalry built upon nothing more than who was in each other's way.

(2) Have no by idea what the first sentence in your post is about. Please elaborate? Much obliged!
Agreed...not saying it will be a rivalry but you never know. Cuse has to get consistently Top 15 good and be able to win a fair share of games.

Agreed...not saying it will be a rivalry but you never know. Cuse has to get consistently Top 15 good and be able to win a fair share of games.
We have to beat them. Maybe some controversial calls. More of their fans will hate us. Any rivalry requires history. We have to prove we're a threat, first.

I don't hate them yet. Maybe a few more years at the top will do it. Dabo seems like an excellent dude to play for. Not a fan of putting so much religion out there but it sure seems to be working for him.

Certainly not out of the question that Clemson and Syracuse could become rivals. If you took a poll of Clemson fans about who our rivals are, you'd get UofSC and FSU on every ballot (and Alabama would be 3rd). So of our two real rivalries, only one of them was a historic rivalry... the other one just arose out of always being in each other's way.

Reactions: CIL
gbo I think someone over there call you the traitorious concubine a few months ago
They said porcupine. They eat those things down there ;):p

Reactions: gbo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom