Others Receiving Votes! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Others Receiving Votes!

We didn't get any votes by the end of 2012? That team finished really strong that year and ended up 8-5. Think we won 6 of our last 7?

2012 is such a bizarre phenomenon among SU fans. Us diehards fondly recall it as an exciting high-water mark of the post-Pasqualoni era. But the reality for the rest of humanity is that we were 8-5, with a nice upset of then #9 Louisville to get to 5-5, and a bowl win against a 7-5 WVU team. In between we beat a 5-5 Mizzou team (nice win for us, big yawn for everyone else) and beat a typically lousy Temple team.

The teams that got the last few 'others receiving votes' in 2012 were Kent State (5 votes, 11-3, had been ranked at one point during the season), Louisiana Tech (2 votes, 9-3, had been ranked during the season), Ohio (1 vote, 9-4, had been ranked during the season), and Arizona (1 vote, 8-5, had been ranked during the season).

I don't think there was anyone in the Others Receiving Votes that year that hadn't been ranked at some time or another that year.

Outside of us 2012 really didn't move the needle for SU. It was like the poor man's version of our 2001 season.

2012 is such a bizarre phenomenon among SU fans. Us diehards fondly recall it as an exciting high-water mark of the post-Pasqualoni era. But the reality for the rest of humanity is that we were 8-5, with a nice upset of then #9 Louisville to get to 5-5, and a bowl win against a 7-5 WVU team. In between we beat a 5-5 Mizzou team (nice win for us, big yawn for everyone else) and beat a typically lousy Temple team.

The teams that got the last few 'others receiving votes' in 2012 were Kent State (5 votes, 11-3, had been ranked at one point during the season), Louisiana Tech (2 votes, 9-3, had been ranked during the season), Ohio (1 vote, 9-4, had been ranked during the season), and Arizona (1 vote, 8-5, had been ranked during the season).

I don't think there was anyone in the Others Receiving Votes that year that hadn't been ranked at some time or another that year.

Outside of us 2012 really didn't move the needle for SU. It was like the poor man's version of our 2001 season.

It could have been an important year if Marrone hadn't left a Road Runner hole through the side of the dome.

It was the first glimpse of doing something competently again. But should we really fool ourselves into thinking that season probably is more of a 5-7 season if we were in the ACC that year? The fact we're in the ACC has exposed us to real programs during our divisional games. Back in our salad days of the mid 90s, we had our built in OOC games with Rutgers/Pitt/Temple.

It was the first glimpse of doing something competently again. But should we really fool ourselves into thinking that season probably is more of a 5-7 season if we were in the ACC that year? The fact we're in the ACC has exposed us to real programs during our divisional games. Back in our salad days of the mid 90s, we had our built in OOC games with Rutgers/Pitt/Temple.

The last 7 games of 2012 was best sustained run we've had in the past 15+ years (my goodness is that not depressing) but it also came after we dropped the last 5 games of 2011 and opened 2012 at 2-4. The stink from a 2-9 stretch, just a couple years removed from the GumpRob era of unrelenting awfulness, is not easily erased by beating one top 25 team in a 6-1 run.

I'd like to think we were building something as we were heading into 2013 before Marrone abandoned the program, of course we were losing Nassib, Lemon, Sales and Pugh. And while he rebuilt competent, Big East level depth, it's not like Marrone was crushing it on the recruiting trail. So who knows really.

Glad to get a few votes. I'll be popping champagne if the day ever comes that we're ranked again. It's been agonizing waiting for it.

Not necessarily if you break it down:
Current P5 Teams
Northwestern -L
USC - L
Minnesota - L
Pittsburgh - W
Rutgers - L
Louisville - W
Missouri - W
West Virginia - W
----------------------
4-4 Against current P-5 programs which compares to an ACC schedule.

Non P-5 Teams
Stony Brook - W
UConn - W
USF - W
Cincy - L
Temple - W
----------------------
4-1 Against non P-5 equating to a Rutgersesque OCC and a bowl game.

The next season we went 5-6 against P-5 programs and 2-0 against non P-5. I'd argue that had the 2012 team played the 2013 schedule, they may have finished 9-4 adding wins against Pitt and Penn State.

I thought we were pretty solid. I thought it was an 8-5 that could've easily been a 10-3 if Pugh(our best player) wasn't hurt to start the year. I think we started 1-3? While you can say the BE was weak at that point, we also played 4 legit OOC teams in USC, Northwestern, Missouri, and Minnesota and didn't have Pugh for 3 of them.

Back then it didn't move the needle for me either. I was excited for what I thought it meant for the direction of the program but was never mad about us not being in the top 25. When you looked at the state of the Big East at that point along with no really good ooc wins, I saw it merely as a nice year to build off of. Maybe I need new orange colored glasses.

Current P5 Teams
Northwestern -L
USC - L
Minnesota - L
Pittsburgh - W
Rutgers - L
Louisville - W
Missouri - W
West Virginia - W
----------------------

Non P-5 Teams
Stony Brook - W
UConn - W
USF - W
Cincy - L
Temple - W
----------------------

The next season we went 5-6 against P-5 programs and 2-0 against non P-5. I'd argue that had the 2012 team played the 2013 schedule, they may have finished 9-4 adding wins against Pitt and Penn State.
Not all P-5 wins are created equal. We didn't beat an ooc ranked opponent that year.

The strongest argument for that year was how much we missed Pugh early in the year, but nobody cares/cared about that anymore than we would've cared who was missing from another team. It was a nice year for a program that had been down for so long. Not much more than that.

Current P5 Teams
Northwestern -L
USC - L
Minnesota - L
Pittsburgh - W
Rutgers - L
Louisville - W
Missouri - W
West Virginia - W
----------------------

Non P-5 Teams
Stony Brook - W
UConn - W
USF - W
Cincy - L
Temple - W
----------------------

The final record is the final record, but, I think is important to note...

1) NW should've been a win, Jerome Smith pick up the ball!
2) Minn was ugly, and before Pugh returned... We played as bad as we could've in a game where we should've won.
3) Cinci is a dropped Reddish pick 6 away from early utter domination. If they don't pull Munchie Legeaux or whatever his name is, we continue to steamroll them.

2012 was as good of a team as we've had in a looooong time.

So somebody thinks we're top 25. I wonder who.

I would not be surprised if one of the votes came from Justin Fuente, the Virginia Tech head coach, the way the Cuse manhandled his hokies and he realized that we have almost everyone coming back.

The final record is the final record, but, I think is important to note...

1) NW should've been a win, Jerome Smith pick up the ball!
2) Minn was ugly, and before Pugh returned... We played as bad as we could've in a game where we should've won.
3) Cinci is a dropped Reddish pick 6 away from early utter domination. If they don't pull Munchie Legeaux or whatever his name is, we continue to steamroll them.

2012 was as good of a team as we've had in a looooong time.

We hung in there pretty well with USC too.

I am fuzzy on the details right now but I remember a tough call(late hit?) costing us the game against Northwestern.

If you told me in the early-mid 90's that in 2017 I would be giddy for receiving 3 votes in the Amway Coaches Preseason top 25 poll, I would have thought you had Syracuse mixed up with Temple.
Nonetheless...color me giddy.

Just to clarify, it may not have been three coaches based on the scenarios below. But it doesn't really matter, still nice to see our name.

The Orange received three points in the coaches' poll. Based on the methodology, it means one of three scenarios played out.

1. One coach voted Syracuse No. 23 in the preseason poll.

2. Two coaches voted for Syracuse, one at No. 24 and the other at No. 25.

3. Three coaches voted for Syracuse at No. 25.

If you told me in the early-mid 90's that in 2017 I would be giddy for receiving 3 votes in the Amway Coaches Preseason top 25 poll, I would have thought you had Syracuse mixed up with Temple.
Nonetheless...color me giddy.

Hahaha not only that! I remember back then debates about where we were ranked and why we would be ranked too low...my how times have changed, but hey we have votes! Pop open the champagne!

2011 after the WVU win. Made us 5-2. And then...

We beat Cincy on the road the following week to get to 6-2, right? Pretty sure we were as high as #27.

The 2011 team was terrible minus the WVU game. Tulane was horrific and we almost lost to them, we got lucky with the Toledo missed extra point game. Our OOC was very weak except for USC. That was a very frustrating season. Lots of injuries I know

was that the cincy game with the fumble call that wasnt and everyone knew what happened except the refs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom