OTish: Female Kicker At NFL Tryout - SU Connection | Syracusefan.com

OTish: Female Kicker At NFL Tryout - SU Connection

FWIW, Ricky trains many kickers and has his own kicking school. I don't know if that girl was scamming but when she did kick yesterday she got hurt and left. Also, Ricky signed as the kicker for the Roc City Thunder, an indoor football team in Rochester.

Rochester Thunder

FWIW, Ricky trains many kickers and has his own kicking school. I don't know if that girl was scamming but when she did kick yesterday she got hurt and left. Also, Ricky signed as the kicker for the Roc City Thunder, an indoor football team in Rochester.

Rochester Thunder

It's understandable to lose some distance when you injure yourself, her second kick went only 17 yards as compared to her first kick of 20 yards.

cmt-large.gif

Not that they're evaluated on their tackling skills or anything, but kickers do have some limited defensive responsibilities. Did the girl that actually made the college team (she's interviewed in the article) see any "real" game action or did she kick extra points only? Possibly just a token extra point at the end of her career to get her in a game? Or was she also involved in field goals and kickoffs where she would be subject to being blocked and having to make a tackle?

Not that they're evaluated on their tackling skills or anything, but kickers do have some limited defensive responsibilities. Did the girl that actually made the college team (she's interviewed in the article) see any "real" game action or did she kick extra points only? Possibly just a token extra point at the end of her career to get her in a game? Or was she also involved in field goals and kickoffs where she would be subject to being blocked and having to make a tackle?

She's never even played football.

She's never even played football.
I was talking about Katie Hnida, a former kicker for Colorado and New Mexico who was the first female to score in a Division I game. She criticizes the tryout girl in the article. Broke down and did my own research:
Hnida suited up for Colorado, but never got in a game. She transferred to New Mexico after allegedly being sexually molested and abused by some of her Colorado teammates, and raped by one of them (charges famously denied by Gary Barnett). She became the first woman to score in a Division I-A game when she kicked two extra points against Texas State in the fourth quarter of a 72-8 victory. Didn't play again until their bowl game (had a PAT blocked). Went on to play indoor and semi-pro football, no idea what degree she was physically involved though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katie_Hnida