Otto Porter | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Otto Porter

Otto, shouldn't you... I dunno... recuse yourself from this thread? I'm really torn here.
I'm not following. Because my handle has the name Otto in it?

Reactions: MCC
Most on this Board last year said MCW wasn't physically ready to play. Most said he was to skinny and couldn't get to the rim against more physical NBA players. So this Otto Porter argument doesn't seem to hold water You can't judge a player based on his physical stature

You totally judge a player on physical stature. I am not following MCW, but he clearly ain't leading the Sixers to wins.

hey let's get fab,donte and jonny 3 season ticket seats right behind our bench.

Season tickets they would still have after leaving a year later. At least they got paid before being exposed.

Donte and Fab are immature and lazy whenever they enter the league.

Bayside44 said:
You totally judge a player on physical stature. I am not following MCW, but he clearly ain't leading the Sixers to wins.

That's not really fair. You need a team around you. If MCW leads us to a final four I hate to see what Ennis will lead his team to in the NBA.

JB said he was the best "all-around" small forward in the history of the BE. I thought it was hyperbole at the time, but even w/ the injuries its surprising that Porter hasn't been better.

Anyone drafted #3 overall is considered as close to a can't miss as there is. Last year, JB called Porter the best small forward in the history of the BE. That's kind of can't miss all by itself. No matter what the excuses for why he's not playing it's all blah blah because the point is he's not playing and his prospects don't look great. And, he was physically ready and his skills were there. When JB says most, if not all, of those college players who come out early don't understand how difficult it is to get on the floor in the NBA he knows what he's talking about. Too bad the rock head parents and players don't listen.

JB did not say he was the best small forward in the history of the big east, without looking up the exact quote he said that he was possibly the most well rounded small forward in big east history, because he was solid at everything, not because he was great in one area. That is a huge difference from being the best small forward in beig east history. Also, being the number 3 pick doesn't mean that a player is cant miss. Teams have to take someone, that doesnt mean the the quality is there every draft. There are very VERY few can't miss players when it comes to the draft.

jncuse said:
Season tickets they would still have after leaving a year later. At least they got paid before being exposed. Donte and Fab are immature and lazy whenever they enter the league.

Why do we continue to beat our own players? Both current and former?

If you don't think Porter was considerably more nba ready last year than Grant is now... um, well, you'd be wrong

um, well, you must not have read what I wrote because my post has nothing to do with whether porter was more ready than grant

Seriously though the people on this forum need to get over it. Who cares if Grant is ready for the NBA or not, its his life not yours. Even if he fizzles out, between the NBA money he will get and the money he would make playing overseas he will still make significantly more money than like 99% of the members on this forum playing a GAME for a living.

hey if your life goal is to peak at 26 then go for it.

As college players, there is no comparison between the post skills of Melo and Berry vs. Porter. I remember specifically the game vs. ND in the Dome (McNamara with a late 3). We were in a deep hole in the second half. Melo went to the post and was fed, I swear, 5 straight times down the floor. He converted or went to the line each time.

Just based on the GT offense, if nothing else, Porter seldom played the classical PF on offense.

And, since going to the pros, Melo has had some of his best success as an undersized 4. Not to mention his PF work in the Olympics.
Dirk's a 4. Most of his points come midrange or out. Kevin Garnett: midrange jumpers mixed with post work. Malone: pick and roll (with Stockton) jumpers. Post scoring alone doesn't separate 3s from 4s.

Porter played the 4 for the second half of his soph season. Not a traditional 4 perhaps, but a 4.

Melo's position in the pros is irrelevant here: JB's comment was (apparently) "Best small forward in the history of the Big East."

I don't think he was physically ready...super skinny

JB did not say he was the best small forward in the history of the big east, without looking up the exact quote he said that he was possibly the most well rounded small forward in big east history, because he was solid at everything, not because he was great in one area. That is a huge difference from being the best small forward in beig east history. Also, being the number 3 pick doesn't mean that a player is cant miss. Teams have to take someone, that doesnt mean the the quality is there every draft. There are very VERY few can't miss players when it comes to the draft.

He said both. But he didn't say "possibly" he said "he's the best."

"I hate to say this in some ways, but I was talking today before the game, I think he's the best all around player I've seen in this league," Boeheim said. "I don't think I've seen a better all around player. The guy plays defense. C.J. is a great player, and we were going at him. We were going to go at him.

"And he really couldn't get much accomplished against him. I think he's a great defensive player. I think he's a great passer. I think he obviously can shoot the ball, and he just --really, I don't see a weakness in his game from a perimeter point of view of a guy that I've seen in this league over the years."

"There's been so many great players, but centers, power forwards, point guards, two guards, but I don't think I've seen a better small forward in this league. He's just a complete player."

For anyone that thinks a "cant miss" college kid can struggle in the NBA, look at Otto Porter. Last year he was a stud and pretty much took it to us when we played them last year. He was labeled a future all-star when he was drafted #3 overall. Now its way too early to say he is a bust or anything like that, but here is a guy who was physically ready to compete in the NBA and had a game that would translate. He has played a total of 47 minutes in the last 3 months for a mediocre at best Wizards team. He pretty much gets one more year to figure it out or he will be an afterthought. Granted he is getting paid while he figures it out, but when you are not even physically ready to compete like TE or JG that 2 year clock is going to wind down in a blink of an eye.

He was the prime example of go when your stock is the highest. If he comes back he may not be in the lottery this year. He went #3 due to a weak draft.

Anyone drafted #3 overall is considered as close to a can't miss as there is. Last year, JB called Porter the best small forward in the history of the BE. That's kind of can't miss all by itself. No matter what the excuses for why he's not playing it's all blah blah because the point is he's not playing and his prospects don't look great. And, he was physically ready and his skills were there. When JB says most, if not all, of those college players who come out early don't understand how difficult it is to get on the floor in the NBA he knows what he's talking about. Too bad the rock head parents and players don't listen.
just because you have to draft somebody doesn't mean you think they're can't miss

just look at #3 picks recently

there are more misses than hits

http://www.mynbadraft.com/nba-draft-picks/3rd-overall/30509/

This is really an argument you want to make when the #3 overall "hit" list includes James Harden, Deron Williams, Ben Gordon, Melo, Pau Gasol, Baron Davis, Chauncey Billups, Jerry Stackhouse, Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, Laettner, Jordan, Dominique Wilkins, Buck Williams and Kevin McHale? That's not a slot for sure things? Just that list alone trumps any guys not making it at the #3 spot.

This is really an argument you want to make when the #3 overall "hit" list includes James Harden, Deron Williams, Ben Gordon, Melo, Pau Gasol, Baron Davis, Chauncey Billups, Jerry Stackhouse, Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, Laettner, Jordan, Dominique Wilkins, Buck Williams and Kevin McHale? That's not a slot for sure things? Just that list alone trumps any guys not making it at the #3 spot.
i said recently. i agree that kevin mchale was great. he's also 69 years old. bees remembers when mchale was being recruited

Not a good comparison because 1. Washington's HC is coaching for the present to save his job and doesn't play Porter of his defense. 2. This year's rookie class sucked MCW. Trey Burke. Oladipo, and the Greek freak are the only decent rookies this year.
Grant has the athleticism to play defense next year. Porter needs to get quicker to guard NBA SFs he is the opposite of Grant who needs to work on his offensive game.
Do we know that he can play defense? There are a lot of athletic guys that suck on defense. Just because he was a decent weakside shot blocker and was able to get out on shooters in our zone, doesn't mean he has the lateral quickness to stay in front of an NBA level 3. I didn't see anything this year to suggest he was a great one-on-one defender.

Issue is, everyone said last year was not a great draft year and that you weren't getting your typical player level in the draft slots. :noidea:

Seriously though the people on this forum need to get over it. Who cares if Grant is ready for the NBA or not, its his life not yours. Even if he fizzles out, between the NBA money he will get and the money he would make playing overseas he will still make significantly more money than like 99% of the members on this forum playing a GAME for a living.
I agree. Let's adopt the Doug Marrone philosophy. Once a player is gone, he is no longer to be discussed on the board. No person on the board is allowed to have an opinion about whether a player may or may not be successful as a professional. Mods, please institute this rule immediately!

Get serious. This is exactly what a sports message board is for. Discussing our team and all things related to it. We care whether he is ready or not because he is/was a Syracuse player. We talk about it for the same reasons we talk about whether Dion has turned a corner or why Donte's career was short lived. If you don't like people discussing it, you can always exit the thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom