OU/OSU 45-45 going to OT | Syracusefan.com

OU/OSU 45-45 going to OT

Just when you question Stoops' clock management, Bell bulldozes for the tie.

Jones has 500 yards passing. Wow.

Does the OU band just play Boomer Sooner the entire game? I mean lets learn some new songs people.

I was at the game. The atmosphere was great as any college game should. I sat at the top of the visitor's section with a healthy mix of Sooner and Cowboy fans, about 8-10 rows above the OSU obnoxious band. As I attended with a Sooners fan (and father of my soon-to-be-son-in-law), I cheered them on. Besides, my daughter will transfer to OU next year and I will become an OU Dad, so I might as well get a jump on it.

This was a great game if you love offense. Defense had nothing to do with the game, except by accident. Rutgers would lose to either team (they should have lost to us), with the irony being that Rutger might score 14-20 points as neither team plays defense, at least as we know it in the Big East. OU fans are like Yankees fans in that they expect a championship annually, oh, and they don't win the championships as often. Though it can be argued that both have paid for some of their championships.

Regardless, we started out at the Booster's Club tailgate. This consisted of over 30 restaurants that supplied all you can eat everything, or about 5 or 6 less items than the Fine Mess crew (yes, I read those posts and if I ever get back to Syracuse for a game, I will beg that you allow my attendance). For the Tuba guys, OSU brought about 25, OU had 16, if I recall. The OSU marching band sucked and worse than that, they tried a medley of Queen songs performed as if by 3rd graders. The OU band was sharp and crisp, though they did show tunes so I was not as impressed as I could have been.

What was really cool was that OU starts out about 20 minutes before kickoff with entertaining things. Also, their rendition of the National Anthem was great. And, the fireworks (rockets red glare) were a nice touch (not that I want rockets going through the Dome, but it was cool). Fans came in early just for this part of the show.

The game started off with OU screwing up and punting. OSU scored. OU then marches and fumbles. OSU scored. The OU fans grew really desperate. I consoled a few and told the that we were only halfway through the 1st quarter. OU crawled back and tied the game before the half. Then OSU takes the kick off and has 1 play, an 80 touchdown pass. OU fans go crazy with despair. Naturally, being a Syracuse fan, I fully understand the full range of emotions associated with playing from behind. I consoled the OU fans once again (I should have been charging $400/hour, I'd have made a killing! (but there is the fact that I haven't a clue about psychology)). Anyway, OU plays catch up all through the game. Thankfully they tie the game at the end of regulation, which means that OT is on the way.

OU fans are not used to OT, in fact, no one can remember seeing OU play OT, let alone at home. Several OU fans can't watch (at least where everyone can see them if the break down) so they watch from the walkways and concourses. Needless to say, OU holds OSU to a field goal and They get their shot, or two rushing plays: 1 for eight yards and the other for 17 with a score. I got my money's worth for this game!

By the way, the stadium was started in the 20's (per a local historian, yes, I am too lazy to look it up). It has been modified several times. Of note is the fact that the tunnels and walkways and even the lower part of the bottom bowl is definitely 1920's vintage. Narrow, steep steps, crowded and the seating is just like teh Done, except they are pained Crimson (NOTE TO DOME STAFF!)

By the way, not many of the Big 12 fans really were deep into the conference realignment. They don't think the PAC will expand (obviously, they missed the attempts in the past). They don't think that The ACC goes away, either. Please note that these are regular fans, not insiders (unless it ends up that way, in which case I will forever claim credit for this info with unnamed insiders). Most are not happy with West Virginia and do not plan to travel there, too far. HMMMM, sounds like advice regarding conference alignment. Also, none seem to want to be associated with the PAC, which is seen as stuffy and snobbish, not even drivable.

That is my report, take it or leave it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom