OU/Texas | Syracusefan.com

OU/Texas

Briancuse

Living Legend
Terrific game, back and forth, Texas just took a 27-21 lead.

And Texas loses 45 to 40... folks in Austin were calling this Charlie Strong's last stand. I don't think he survives the year.

So LSU and Texas will both be looking for new football coaches this offseason. Should be another fun coaching carousel. I think Fisher goes to LSU and Strong to FSU since he cut his teeth in Florida. Not sure who Texas and it's ego go for? Herman seems to be the clubhouse leader but I wouldn't be surprised if they back up a dump truck full of money to Chip Kelly's front door. I think the boosters want a BIG name along the lines of Saban and Meyer.

And Texas loses 45 to 40... folks in Austin were calling this Charlie Strong's last stand. I don't think he survives the year.

So LSU and Texas will both be looking for new football coaches this offseason. Should be another fun coaching carousel. I think Fisher goes to LSU and Strong to FSU since he cut his teeth in Florida. Not sure who Texas and it's ego go for? Herman seems to be the clubhouse leader but I wouldn't be surprised if they back up a dump truck full of money to Chip Kelly's front door. I think the boosters want a BIG name along the lines of Saban and Meyer.

I think Herman is the perfect fit for them, I heard someone say he wouldn't take the job, I would be stunned if he turned it down.

I think Herman is the perfect fit for them, I heard someone say he wouldn't take the job, I would be stunned if he turned it down.
]The good news is whomever takes over for Strong is getting a team LOADED with talent all over the field. The bad new is that if you're not in a decent bowl game in year one with that talent the pressure will be on in year 2. I think the only way a coach is successful at UT is if the name is so big (saban/meyer big) that the fans would never dare question him which is why I think they see if Kelly is interested. Plus UT is already running an uptempo offense so it wouldn't be that much of a switch to the Kelly spread.

FSU will make it hard for Fisher to leave. Assuming Fisher leaves FSU, FSU will not take Strong (nor will LSU at this time), Strong will need another team to rehabilitate before getting another elite job.

Don't be surprised if Briles' name is thrown around for one or more of the elite positions.. No formal charges have been filed against him and if none are, he is a good coach (obvious character flaw aside). Bobby Petrino will likely be considered, having built winners twice at Louisville and Arkansas (pre-motorcycle) though his character flaws are demonstrably not learning opportunities for him.

Herman is likely candidate for any elite team needing a new HC. With recent comments regarding the Big 12 holding at 10 for now, he may want to jump while he has the choice of where he can end up. Houston will likely be fine without the Big 12 invite, but if a guy can win on the highest level while handicapped by conference how much easier is it at a factory school?

Naturally, this being week six, any and all speculation is way too early to carve into stone. Glad we are sitting out this round.

FSU will make it hard for Fisher to leave. Assuming Fisher leaves FSU, FSU will not take Strong (nor will LSU at this time), Strong will need another team to rehabilitate before getting another elite job.

Don't be surprised if Briles' name is thrown around for one or more of the elite positions.. No formal charges have been filed against him and if none are, he is a good coach (obvious character flaw aside). Bobby Petrino will likely be considered, having built winners twice at Louisville and Arkansas (pre-motorcycle) though his character flaws are demonstrably not learning opportunities for him.

Herman is likely candidate for any elite team needing a new HC. With recent comments regarding the Big 12 holding at 10 for now, he may want to jump while he has the choice of where he can end up. Houston will likely be fine without the Big 12 invite, but if a guy can win on the highest level while handicapped by conference how much easier is it at a factory school?

Naturally, this being week six, any and all speculation is way too early to carve into stone. Glad we are sitting out this round.
Agree with all this, except the Briles paragraph. He's toxic right now. He will need a rehabilitation position somewhere before he's offered a big-time job, IMO. The guy is 60 - he's running out of time.

Agree with all this, except the Briles paragraph. He's toxic right now. He will need a rehabilitation position somewhere before he's offered a big-time job, IMO. The guy is 60 - he's running out of time.

I really don't see him getting another shot at a big time program. I could see an Fcs team or lower level Fbs team taking a shot at him.

I really don't see him getting another shot at a big time program. I could see an Fcs team or lower level Fbs team taking a shot at him.
Yep. That's how he'll finish out his career, IMO. Unless something weird happens (coach fired/quits/etc. unexpectedly), I don't see him getting another P5 job.

I generally agree with you, my thought being that high enough profile schools can absorb his taint so long as there are no criminal charges forthcoming. If my train of thought is wrong, I fully agree with you, too toxic to touch. I also agree he will run out of time soon. The Vest (Tressel) never recovered, though that was six years ago.

Take a look back at what got the Vest canned and no recovery and look at the NCAA and recent violations: Jeckyll/Hyde comes to mind. Not sure why I am pointing this fact out to fans of Jim Boeheim (SU/UNC).

I generally agree with you, my thought being that high enough profile schools can absorb his taint so long as there are no criminal charges forthcoming. If my train of thought is wrong, I fully agree with you, too toxic to touch. I also agree he will run out of time soon. The Vest (Tressel) never recovered, though that was six years ago.

Take a look back at what got the Vest canned and no recovery and look at the NCAA and recent violations: Jeckyll/Hyde comes to mind. Not sure why I am pointing this fact out to fans of Jim Boeheim (SU/UNC).
Agreed. Going back to your original point (Don't be surprised if Briles' name is thrown around for one or more of the elite positions), I wouldn't be surprised if his name is thrown around frequently by the media.

Agreed. Going back to your original point (Don't be surprised if Briles' name is thrown around for one or more of the elite positions), I wouldn't be surprised if his name is thrown around frequently by the media.

His name will be floated around, don't see him getting it. The guy to look out for is Sarkasian, I could see him getting another chance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom