Ouch | Syracusefan.com

Ouch

Kinda unacceptable if this is true. Good enough for Don Pitino but not SU? Francis?

Hard to figure that one out, if that's true. He absolutely killed us tonight.

That SU never recruited him, not even a single phone call, even after climbing up the recruiting rankings. He stated he was quite surprised, since his bro played here approx. a decade earlier and had success. Figured he'd at least get a call out of respect, etc. Also, said that he very well may have come to SU if SU had shown even an ounce of interest. Another apparent recent miss along the recruiting trail...especially when you consider our overwhelmingly inferior interior dilemma.

I don't know. Obviously I don't know factually but back then I thought I had heard we did recruit him but he had no interest.

Who knows, its hard to think we wouldn't have recruited the kid, after everything his brother did for us.

I don't know. Obviously I don't know factually but back then I thought I had heard we did recruit him but he had no interest.
He had a direct relationship with a former SU football player from the late 70s/early 80s - player and his wife I think might even have been his guardians (or at least had him living with them) at one point. The former player spoke to JB directly a couple of times early on (freshmen year when he wasn't much of a player yet) and gave JB everything he needed to reach out to the kid. I am not sure what happened from there although there was the "wanted to do his own thing" out here. That said between his brother and Melo being his favorite player I thought SU would end up with him.

I had heard the same thing but didn't he grow late and was a forward prospect until pretty late? Have to search the recruiting board from back when.

I had heard the same thing but didn't he grow late and was a forward prospect until pretty late? Have to search the recruiting board from back when.
I saw him play for the first time early on during his Junior year in HS. He was pretty much the same height that he is now but was very slender, much like Lydon. Was mainly a raw post player, but played very hard, and you could tell that he was going to develop into a good player. He ended up filling out quite well physically and skill wise from then to college.

18805719-standard.jpg

Why would we recruit him when we have a project, 4 year program kid who doesn't get in trouble and does his homework that'll get us Thomas Bryant?

Excellent no get on AO's brother.

Reading old posts on the recruiting board, it sounds like we didn't pursue him. Orangeyes kept asking why we didn't but most people supposed that it was because he wasn't blowing people away in high school and we had our eyes on higher rated recruits like Dakari Johnson, Noah Vonleh, Chinoso Obokoh, Chris McCollough - saw Goodluck's name mentioned too. We already had DC. Guess we didn't recruit him - someone asked Donna DiTota in 2013 and she said we weren't really looking at him and she would try to remember to ask why not. Lots of mentions how raw and what a project he was. He looked to be a Maryland lock right up till the end of his recruitment. A number of pretty big name schools were after him towards the end of his recruitment. Of course Arinze and now DC weren't SU's stereotypical recruit for centers either.

Cheriehoop said:
Reading old posts on the recruiting board, it sounds like we didn't pursue him. Orangeyes kept asking why we didn't but most people supposed that it was because he wasn't blowing people away in high school and we had our eyes on higher rated recruits like Dakari Johnson, Noah Vonleh, Chinoso Obokoh, Chris McCollough - saw Goodluck's name mentioned too. We already had DC. Guess we didn't recruit him - someone asked Donna DiTota in 2013 and she said we weren't really looking at him and she would try to remember to ask why not. Lots of mentions how raw and what a project he was. He looked to be a Maryland lock right up till the end of his recruitment. A number of pretty big name schools were after him towards the end of his recruitment. Of course Arinze and now DC weren't SU's stereotypical recruit for centers either.

I still remember it as him not having any interest in us. That could be why we didn't pursue him if he made it clear. The memory is foggy but I seem to remember part of it having to do with AO's rehab or their opinion of the rehab.

I still remember it as him not having any interest in us. That could be why we didn't pursue him if he made it clear. The memory is foggy but I seem to remember part of it having to do with AO's rehab or their opinion of the rehab.

Yes, this. What I was told was that the Onuaku family didn't think our athletic department handled Arinze's knee as well as they could have. I don't want to say I'm certain, but this comes from someone who wouldn't be wrong.

Yes, this. What I was told was that the Onuaku family didn't think our athletic department handled Arinze's knee as well as they could have. I don't want to say I'm certain, but this comes from someone who wouldn't be wrong.

I was pretty sure that was one of the things I had read on the board at one time or another.

"He's in the Philippines playing," Chinanu said. "I don't even think he knew we were playing right now."

sounds like Chinanu and Arinze are still very close :noidea:

sounds like Arinze is following Cuse closely :noidea:

Someone this board during this kid’s recruitment, said he did not want to come here. Now we find out he did not even get a phone call? We let a legacy recruit get away? He beat our** like it was personal last night. We can’t let kids like this get away

Last edited:

He shoots FTs under handed, and is far from an all american. A legacy recruit we could have had if wanted...maybe. But I can see why they wouldn't put on the full court press for him. He averages 10 and 9, and looked AA against us last night, but he is not even in the same category as say Rak's Sr year. He is a functional big, and I can see why SU fans would drool over that THIS year. But I would not take this as some great indicator of the staff's ineptitude.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom