Our (attempted) trick play. | Syracusefan.com

Our (attempted) trick play.

JoeSU

All American
Please pardon if this was discussed in another thread that escaped my attention...
The play I am thinking of was in the 2nd quarter involved Nassib handing ball off to Lemon, on what initially looked like a WR reverse to the left. It appeared he want to throw it back to Nassib, who had leaked out to the right but apparently was covered. Is this how others saw it? UConn had the reverse covered as well, and Lemon ended up losing 2 yards on the play. He would have been better off throwing the ball away out of bounds. I don't recall ever seeing SU employ this play before and was a bit surprised to see Hackett us this sort of trickeration.

Seemed very slow in developing, but it did appear that UConn had both Lemon and Nassib covered. My reaction at the time was Why?

I thought Lemon did a good job of not throwing the ball to Nassib...some qb's aren't that smart.

it almost looked like it was too fast in developing with Lemon looking to throw to Nassib the second he got it. I'll have to rewatch it

I thought Lemon wanted to go downfield, but Sales was covered.

I personally prefer a flea flicker-We seem to make our trick plays more complicated than they have to be

Please pardon if this was discussed in another thread that escaped my attention...
The play I am thinking of was in the 2nd quarter involved Nassib handing ball off to Lemon, on what initially looked like a WR reverse to the left. It appeared he want to throw it back to Nassib, who had leaked out to the right but apparently was covered. Is this how others saw it? UConn had the reverse covered as well, and Lemon ended up losing 2 yards on the play. He would have been better off throwing the ball away out of bounds. I don't recall ever seeing SU employ this play before and was a bit surprised to see Hackett us this sort of trickeration.

IMO, it was a definite throwback to Nassib. Lemon looked right at him. Nassib was right in front of me, the ball would have been thrown directly at me. However, Nassib was covered. I thought Lemon did a good job in recognizing the coverage and minimizing the loss on the play.

Didn't Alec play some QB in high school?

i hate trick plays when we are physically dominatimg the other team I also disliked the 1ST FG for the same reason.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

If they plan on trying that play in the future...why not use ashton? Seems like he was born for plays like that cause he can throw well and could make some moves with his feet that alec has no chance in making to get a couple yards with a run.

It's
If they plan on trying that play in the future...why not use ashton? Seems like he was born for plays like that cause he can throw well and could make some moves with his feet that alec has no chance in making to get a couple yards with a run.

It's obvious this staff doesn't trust Broyld to a high degree yet. We are not privy to the inner workings of the practices, & how the coaches evaluate these players.

Win, lose or draw I was glad to see it. It keeps defenses honest if nothing else. Give their safeties something to thing about. This is college football, there should be one trick play per game at least.

My only question is: Why haven't we seen something similar to that with Broyld? Seems like when you have a QB playing tailback you should have them options to keep everyone guessing,

Yes, he was trying to go back with a pass to Nassib, even the announcers noted that.

Syracuse has tried this before with Lemon throwing. If I recall, it was last season, and it was a shot to the endzone.

Win, lose or draw I was glad to see it. It keeps defenses honest if nothing else. Give their safeties something to thing about. This is college football, there should be one trick play per game at least.

My only question is: Why haven't we seen something similar to that with Broyld? Seems like when you have a QB playing tailback you should have them options to keep everyone guessing,
I agree. It forces the opposing D to defend sideline to sideline. It was also well set-up because on the previous play Nassib completed a short pass to Lemon on the right side.

Yes, he was trying to go back with a pass to Nassib, even the announcers noted that.

Syracuse has tried this before with Lemon throwing. If I recall, it was last season, and it was a shot to the endzone.
You are correct

last year it was a double pass from nassib to lemon then lemon to chew in the usc game for a td

IMO, it was a definite throwback to Nassib. Lemon looked right at him. Nassib was right in front of me, the ball would have been thrown directly at me. However, Nassib was covered. I thought Lemon did a good job in recognizing the coverage and minimizing the loss on the play.

Lemon clearly was looking off his primary receiver.

If I was playing defense and AB came into the game, the first thing I would be thinking is "watch for the trick play". I don't know why people think bringing AB in is going to fool anyone.

I have been told that AB has been having trouble getting a handle on the playbook, thus he only has a dozen or so plays he can run.
That being said, I would love to see him as the QB in the tank package. As someone said earlier in this thread, when AB comes into the game, teams look for the trick play. Just the thought of a trick play would be enough to allow AAM to get his 2 yards.
just a thought...

My only issue with the play call is why run that against a team you should beat?

If we're gonna get wild and creative, let's make it happen against an opponent that requires it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

wouldn't be surprising to see them use aHB pass by broyld in one of the bigger games of the year (Cincy/Ville/Mizzou)

My only issue with the play call is why run that against a team you should beat?

If we're gonna get wild and creative, let's make it happen against an opponent that requires it.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Maybe their setting up the same play, except next time when Lemon looks to throw, instead he pitches it to a reversing Clark or Broyld.

If I was playing defense and AB came into the game, the first thing I would be thinking is "watch for the trick play". I don't know why people think bringing AB in is going to fool anyone.
But we haven't run a trick play with AB in the game yet, so why would any defense think that. Theres no history for them to ever think that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom