Our best FT shooter is obviously Rak | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Our best FT shooter is obviously Rak

I would take Rak or Trev. I expect them both to step up and make them.

LOL. Where do people get these crazy ideas? One shoots 83% and one shoots 73%. One shoots 87% (7/8) in the last 4 mins of a game and the other shoots 67% (6/9) in the last 4 mins. There isn't a stat nor a coach anywhere that would say Rak over Cooney as a FT shooter.

Glad to see Rak shooting them so well. But laughable that he's all of a sudden thought of as the better shooter.

cooney needs to do a better job getting open off a press break. He just runs into people and gets off balance. Looks kind of out of control. Needs to use he strength and leverage better to come off open. I don't think he was doubled today late so that shouldn't have prevented him from getting the ball. We definitely need him in those situations to get the ball.

Usually our big men are pathetic free throw shooters, so Rak is a welcome change. Cooney is good at ft's, but by the end of the game he looks exhausted. I don't think he shoots them as well late.

Delmar said:
Usually our big men are pathetic free throw shooters, so Rak is a welcome change. Cooney is good at ft's, but by the end of the game he looks exhausted. I don't think he shoots them as well late.

His percentage is better late.

I comfortable with Cooney taking FTs late. I just feel more comfortable with Rak Christmas. Why does everything to be a pro or con Cooney thing? My intent of this thread was to praise Rak not knock Cooney. Since the St. John's game Cooney has been an A+ player on the team but I feel Rak is the safest option in late game FT situations.

Alsacs said:
I comfortable with Cooney taking FTs late. I just feel more comfortable with Rak Christmas. Why does everything to be a pro or con Cooney thing? My intent of this thread was to praise Rak not knock Cooney. Since the St. John's game Cooney has been an A+ player on the team but I feel Rak is the safest option in late game FT situations.

How do you come to that opinion? The facts say it is faulty.

How do you come to that opinion? The facts say it is faulty.
Rak shoots more FTs during games thus at the end during the pressure FTs he isn't taking his first FTs of the game. If Cooney shot more FTs during to game he may be the better option but he doesn't so I would prefer Rak then Cooney and the third option is a way behind either of the first two.

Alsacs said:
Rak shoots more FTs during games thus at the end during the pressure FTs he isn't taking his first FTs of the game. If Cooney shot more FTs during to game he may be the better option but he doesn't so I would prefer Rak then Cooney and the third option is a way behind either of the first two.

Cooney is 7/8 and Rak 6/9 at end of games and OT.

couchburn

Are we WVU fans? Cooney is better there is no legitimate way to argue its just posturing to do so.

I'm comfortable with both, but Cooney seems like the obvious choice (and stats back that up). I do get that people have different levels of confidence in different players based on "feel" though. Either one seems far better than the rest though.

couchburn

Are we WVU fans? Cooney is better there is no legitimate way to argue its just posturing to do so.
This is not a WVU opinion. Again I respect the hell of Cooney. The entire point of this thread was to praise Rak not anything more. Rak shoots more FTs during the game and does it we'll at the end I want him shooting pressure FTs. Cooney is the only other player I have confidence in. There is no drama in this post.

This is not a WVU opinion. Again I respect the hell of Cooney. The entire point of this thread was to praise Rak not anything more. Rak shoots more FTs during the game and does it we'll at the end I want him shooting pressure FTs. Cooney is the only other player I have confidence in. There is no drama in this post.

That argument is still silly. Cooney shoots less and is less comfortable yet he is still better which is fact by the numbers.

Not that is it a big sample size, but in the last 5 minutes of regulation and overtime (before VT), Cooney had taken 6 FTs and hit all of them, Rak had taken 7 and hit 5, 71% pretty much identically to the 72% he has hit outside of that time.

Last season in the last 5 minutes and overtime, Cooney took 24 and Rak took 12. Cooney hit 92% and Rak hit 75%. The rest of the time they were 81% and 71% respectively.

when teams want to foul us they won't give us the time to get the ball to rak who will usually be standing down the other half of the floor. So this is kind of pointless. He might shot a few late but not all of them, hes not going to dribble through a press.

What I found most interesting about our rough freethrow shooting against tech was those rims were incredibly loose, like maui invitational loose.

Last edited:
All you need to do to settle this debate - if you don't want to look at the actual stats - is pay attention to who the defense is face guarding and doubling to prevent him from touching the ball. That's the guy the million dollar coach and the advanced scouting reports don't want shooting FTs in late game situations. He does not wear #25.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom