Our "biggest" ACC rival | Syracusefan.com

Our "biggest" ACC rival

raf4488

Starter
BC lost to Wake today- by 29. I think it's a huge advantage for us to play them twice every year, while UNC and Duke play each other twice. How sweet would it be to win the ACC the first year we're in the league?

How much excitement can we handle? BC...? With this move we are undermining our best sport for the sake of FB... Hoping the FB side turns it around or we may turn into Rutgers.

we definitely got kicked down to the ACC ugly little sister division. nothing would be sweeter than locking ourselves in the bathroom and wiping our asses with their prom dresses. there are no more old rivalries to fight. we're pool pissers.

Boston College still has a basketball team? I'd rather play Harvard twice a year.

Its not a big deal to have to play BC twice it gives our New England fans a home game every year. We will "Occupy Conte Forum" when we play Boston College, and having them on the home schedule just replaces having 1 game against Seton Hall, Providence, or St. John's.

Our biggest ACC rival is Pitt. We just happened to get paired with BC. We still play Duke, UNC, NC State, FSU, UVA, and UMD at least once every year.

In the Big East we played Providence twice this year, they're not far ahead of BC...

Will need to keep some series going with the old Big East teams if for no other reason to bump up the SOS, which will take a hit playing in the Duke/UNC+crap conference.

UVA, Maryland and NC State are rising programs. NC State is going to be top 20 next year. FSU is solid. And of course UNC and Duke will always be in or near the top 10. I also seriously doubt that Pitt will be down for long. That's a pretty solid conference and certainly doesn't undermine our basketball program.

Syracuse joining the ACC is good for Syracuse and for the ACC. Having a legit challenger to UNC/Duke will be great for the league, and I think UNC and Duke will both welcome having legitimate competition. They'll hate us soon enough.

UVA, Maryland and NC State are rising programs. NC State is going to be top 20 next year. FSU is solid. And of course UNC and Duke will always be in or near the top 10. I also seriously doubt that Pitt will be down for long. That's a pretty solid conference and certainly doesn't undermine our basketball program.

I wish I shared your confidence. UVA, NC State and FSU haven't been able to sustain any basketball quality in a long long time, their current level of "success" may well be little more than a short blip on the radar.

I wish I shared your confidence. UVA, NC State and FSU haven't been able to sustain any basketball quality in a long long time, their current level of "success" may well be little more than a short blip on the radar.

I think that's partly due to their coaches. UVA and NC State have had some bad hires that hurt their programs. I think Gottfried and Bennett are really solid coaches who can make those teams regulars in the top 25.

I think that's partly due to their coaches. UVA and NC State have had some bad hires that hurt their programs. I think Gottfried and Bennett are really solid coaches who can make those teams regulars in the top 25.

These programs have been non-factors for a long time, each through a number of coaches, sure once in a while they may do something notable but those seasons are few and far between. It would be great if they could turn into something that they haven't been but I'll believe it when I see it.

These programs have been non-factors for a long time, each through a number of coaches, sure once in a while they may do something notable but those seasons are few and far between. It would be great if they could turn into something that they haven't been but I'll believe it when I see it.
Just like Ben Howland and Jamie Dixon and Jay Wright have resurrected Pitt and Villanova into constant top 25 programs I believe Mark Gottfried will do that at NC State. While NC State fans are pretty ridiculous in their expectations the ACC will be Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Maryland constant top 25 programs, Virginia, NC State, Florida State, Virginia Tech in the middle tier atleast 1 in the top 25, and BC, Wake Forest, Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech in the bottom tier. Every program in the ACC has made the NCAA tournament since 2o05 the same can't be said for the Big East.

Just like Ben Howland and Jamie Dixon and Jay Wright have resurrected Pitt and Villanova into constant top 25 programs I believe Mark Gottfried will do that at NC State. While NC State fans are pretty ridiculous in their expectations the ACC will be Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Maryland constant top 25 programs, Virginia, NC State, Florida State, Virginia Tech in the middle tier atleast 1 in the top 25, and BC, Wake Forest, Clemson, Miami, Georgia Tech in the bottom tier. Every program in the ACC has made the NCAA tournament since 2o05 the same can't be said for the Big East.
I agree about Gottfired and State, he's a good recruiter that will finally turn them around.
Regarding Wake in the bottom tier, it's amazing how far they've fallen so quickly- they were ranked #1 in February just 3 seasons ago and used to have a ton of NBA talent. Hopefully Cavanaugh helps turn them around.

Wake and Maryland fell hard. If those teams could get near what they were even 5 years ago, combined with the emergence of UVA, FSU and NC State, the ACC could be extremely deep.

I would like it if that ends up being the case, but time will tell. Maryland has been a top 25 program twice in the last eight years (and this year isn't one of them), they've got a lot to prove to get to the level of being a regular top 25 program.

As for that last sentence, c'mon man, who cares about one and done tournament appearances, the ACC has seen a team not named Duke or UNC make it past the first weekend exactly twice since expanding to 12 teams (BC in 06, FSU last year). In comparison, the Big East in its 16 team form saw four different programs in the Final 4 and eight different programs in the Sweet 16 at least once, with five alone making it in 2009. No comparison which league has been stronger in their expansion eras, hopefully SU and Pitt can bring some of that strength with them and rub off on the ten other non-factor programs.

NC State has three incoming Mickey D's. With their returning players, they will be a solid team next year and should be for a few after that.

Will need to keep some series going with the old Big East teams if for no other reason to bump up the SOS, which will take a hit playing in the Duke/UNC+crap conference.

Depends. Some of the "old big east" teams recruiting may take a serious hit due to the fact that they are now in the New New Big East. Might not be the SOS bumps that they are currently.

Its not a big deal to have to play BC twice it gives our New England fans a home game every year. We will "Occupy Conte Forum" when we play Boston College, and having them on the home schedule just replaces having 1 game against Seton Hall, Providence, or St. John's.

One game against BC may replace one game against Providence, but St. Johns? We played St. John's this year in the Garden in front of a sell out crowd that was 75% Orange. No ACC game is going to replace that kind of road trip or excitement in the biggest and best media market in the country! Gross and Cantor = clueless money grabbers. There even too stupid to realize that Syracuse University will make more money in the Big East overall - new TV contract coming due next year will be on par with current ACC contract, donations from tens of thousands of alumni in the NE that can see there team play (not the handful in suburban North Carolina), and the national attention of playing conference tourney in the Garden, etc. Now we get to play down in rural bumble town NC in front of a handful of red necks. Now or bball and football can both suck, just like the other sell outs at BC!

One game against BC may replace one game against Providence, but St. Johns? We played St. John's this year in the Garden in front of a sell out crowd that was 75% Orange. No ACC game is going to replace that kind of road trip or excitement in the biggest and best media market in the country! Gross and Cantor = clueless money grabbers. There even too stupid to realize that Syracuse University will make more money in the Big East overall - new TV contract coming due next year will be on par with current ACC contract, donations from tens of thousands of alumni in the NE that can see there team play (not the handful in suburban North Carolina), and the national attention of playing conference tourney in the Garden, etc. Now we get to play down in rural bumble town NC in front of a handful of red necks. Now or bball and football can both suck, just like the other sell outs at BC!
You realize Duke plays a non-conference game in MSG EVERY YEAR. Either they play @St. John's or they play a BCS team at MSG EVERY YEAR. This year they played Washington, in the past years they have played Pittsburgh, Gonzaga, Texas, and other power teams at MSG EVERY YEAR. So Syracuse will play a game every year in MSG with the money from the ACC we won't have to play 19 Dome games but rather 17-18 a year and use those extra 1-2 games to play a game in MSG and play @Villanova or @Georgetown. Also, you ignore the fact we had atleast 4-5K fans at the NC State game this year, and with the football games at Metlife Dr. Gross will get money from the NYC alumni. The only thing I will miss about the Big East will be the tournament at MSG, but the ACC will rotate Brooklyn into their rotation and honestly I am sick of being used by the Big East to fill up the arenas of DePaul, South Florida, Seton Hall,Providence, and St. John's we are better off being equal partners in the ACC rather than remain in this hybrid Sun Beast known as the Big East.

You realize Duke plays a non-conference game in MSG EVERY YEAR. Either they play @St. John's or they play a BCS team at MSG EVERY YEAR. This year they played Washington, in the past years they have played Pittsburgh, Gonzaga, Texas, and other power teams at MSG EVERY YEAR. So Syracuse will play a game every year in MSG with the money from the ACC we won't have to play 19 Dome games but rather 17-18 a year and use those extra 1-2 games to play a game in MSG and play @Villanova or @Georgetown. Also, you ignore the fact we had atleast 4-5K fans at the NC State game this year, and with the football games at Metlife Dr. Gross will get money from the NYC alumni. The only thing I will miss about the Big East will be the tournament at MSG, but the ACC will rotate Brooklyn into their rotation and honestly I am sick of being used by the Big East to fill up the arenas of DePaul, South Florida, Seton Hall,Providence, and St. John's we are better off being equal partners in the ACC rather than remain in this hybrid Sun Beast known as the Big East.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom