Our biggest obstacle going forward? | Syracusefan.com

Our biggest obstacle going forward?

DonLightfoot

All Conference
Just wondering what everybody thinks right now. Is it one of these four or something else?

- 3 pt FG defense at 35.3% (83/235).
- 3 pt FG offense at 28.5% (47/165).
- Free throws at 66.5% (139/209).
- Lack of "bulk" for our big guys in upcoming ACC play.

For me it is the third one on the list. If we keep driving inside and aggressively go after rebounds we should get to the line a lot. Under those circumstances I would really like to see this in the mid 70% range. Not sure that is possible given the results of our two centers at the line.

3 pt FG defense is of concern and has been mentioned a lot on here. In our only loss to Kansas that rate was 35.5% (11/31) which is right on our season average. That game was not the highest number of made three's we have given up.

Our 3 pt shooting really sucks to be honest (I actually think we take too many). For example, in our only loss we took more three's than any other game (could have been a result of the late game deficit I suppose). If we can get that up by about 5 percentage points, and maintain our inside scoring and rebounding, then our future would look much better. If so, I can live with the 3 pt defense percentage.

Inconsistent three point shooting.

This is clearly the right answer, although I am not sure "inconsistent" is the right word. "Bad" is probably more accurate. The defense is going to be fine, particularly in light of how well the team rebounds. But the offense has a very firm ceiling, which comes from the poor shooting, which very likely isn't solvable this year.

Making shots.
I am confident the defense will improve more and more.
JB is an elite defensive coach.
This team is dangerous if they get to 70 points in a game.

Just wondering what everybody thinks right now. Is it one of these four or something else?

For me it is the third one on the list. If we keep driving inside and aggressively go after rebounds we should get to the line a lot. Under those circumstances I would really like to see this in the mid 70% range. Not sure that is possible given the results of our two centers at the line.

3 pt FG defense is of concern and has been mentioned a lot on here. In our only loss to Kansas that rate was 35.5% (11/31) which is right on our season average. That game was not the highest number of made three's we have given up.

Our 3 pt shooting really sucks to be honest (I actually think we take too many). For example, in our only loss we took more three's than any other game (could have been a result of the late game deficit I suppose). If we can get that up by about 5 percentage points, and maintain our inside scoring and rebounding, then our future would look much better. If so, I can live with the 3 pt defense percentage.

Shooting and lack of depth in terms of scorers/playmakers/shooters. Which is what we all expected even at the point when we thought Thorpe would produce for us.

Ya mean, #Frank

His inconsistent play will be our biggest obstacle
I cannot believe how the bottom fell out of his game the past two games. The double-double vs Maryland seemed to be a clear indicator that he could handle the role this year.

Then the Uconn debacle. Now It's like starting from scratch.

His problem seems to be between his ears...the lack of confidence is apparent.

Pogo-we-have-met-the-enemy-230x300.jpg

Making 3's is the most important factor moving forward.

Defense generally improves as the year goes on, as does free throw shooting. I dont think either will be a problem come March, there are already signs of improvement with both. 3 point shooting may be a problem, but if its not this will be quite a good tean.

I cannot believe how the bottom fell out of his game the past two games. The double-double vs Maryland seemed to be a clear indicator that he could handle the role this year.

Then the Uconn debacle. Now It's like starting from scratch.

His problem seems to be between his ears...the lack of confidence is apparent.

18 pts, 6 rebounds and 6 assists is certainly not the end of the world. 5 TO is not what you like but there were two of those that when Frank threw the pass the player went the opposite way. Hard to tell whose fault that was.
I think there is a certain amount of agreement that Frank is still working on becoming a PG. He may never be a MCW or Ennis but he'll be a lot better than what we saw last year.

3-pt defense will improve once BS is healthy. He's much better in the zone and covers the corners better (better defender in general).

Think our 3-pt shooting will improve once OB shoots it better. I think he will. I thought Tyus would shoot 3's at like 38% this year. Maybe he will.

PC will be a liability at the line all year. He can't be in the game in close games. BS has looked better there lately. Need guys like OB to get better from the line. I'd like to see us end at 70%.

Frank's year is beginning to resemble me during a typical golf season. I start out pretty good, decent game when I don't get in my own way, but then I make a couple of bad mistakes, get in a bit of a rut, and I start trying to correct. That is when things begin to go from bad to worse.

Frank looked much improved pre-UCONN, between the last two games it's beginning to look like he is reverting to last years form. Not a lost cause yet, but if this is the way he plays against Colgate at home, what the heck is gonna happen when we play at Duke (god have mercy on him), Pittsburgh (another snake pit of a field house), Louisville, Virginia etc. TB won't be able to do it alone. Anyway, that's my biggest concern.

I worry more about how many 3s we are taking than anything. Actually the bigger thing is the lack of an offense. If you have a guy like Frank running it, why not have a few simple plays that can be run to get him stabilized and get some good mojo going? Instead, this offense rests on three pillars: lazy 3 point jacks, one on one drives to the basket, or Frank having to create a good scenario out of thin air to get somebody a good look. That puts him in a very poor position for success in my opinion.

I worry more about how many 3s we are taking than anything. Actually the bigger thing is the lack of an offense. If you have a guy like Frank running it, why not have a few simple plays that can be run to get him stabilized and get some good mojo going? Instead, this offense rests on three pillars: lazy 3 point jacks, one on one drives to the basket, or Frank having to create a good scenario out of thin air to get somebody a good look. That puts him in a very poor position for success in my opinion.

Brissett should run the old Rautins baseline run around to opposite wing for a catch-n-shoot. He's so quick he' probably get open every time.

It's the first two, taken together. The opposition has made 36 more three pointers than we have. That's 4 a game. JB says we make it up at the line because we drive more and get fouled more. Tonight was an extreme example of that. We score 13 more free throws but gave up 7 more threes. That's not an even trade. We will never be a great three point shooting team this year but we need to be getting 6-7 of them rather than 3-4. And we need to find the shooters. there's no excuse for a zone team with a 7-2 shot blocker not to find the shooters.

Great question. I'm going with #2. My reasoning is below. Bumping my own post from before Colgate.

It's simple. We need to shoot a better 3-point shooting percentage (but not necessarily take more threes)

I believe most of our offensive struggle are due to low 3-point shooting percentage. We've gotten so many good looks this season. I like the offense we run because it gives our most talented guys the opportunity to be the successful. We have skilled players. We are just missing that one skill that spreads the floor and makes everything else easier.

If we take a look at what our three main scorers can do
Tyus - iso, floater, midrange j, big shot maker
Frank - passing, midrange pull-up, pick'n'roll (despite the rollers not executing)
Oshae - driving, putbacks, midrange​

This leads me to believe that an increase in 3-point percentage while getting continued improvement from the new guys, can give us an effective, multi-faceted offense.

No one has found consistency from three yet. Consequently, as defenses play us to drive, they've had to work much harder to score in other ways. Unfortunately, there is no easy fix to shooting. Syracuse runs tons of shooting drills. Jb said Oshae makes threes in practice. Our best player Tyus shoots a lot but doesn't make many. They just, somehow, have to make more threes. Even a slight bump in percentage would be welcome.

Outside of shooting the three better, there are several initial things we can do to improve on offense such as Frank getting us right into the offense (please!), cutting turnovers, Tyus cutting offensive fouls, the bigs/wings knowing their spots, getting into transition quickly to capitalize on our strengths (steals/rebounding). We also have to get the other guys involved. We sorely need Matt and Marek to be a reasonable threat to score so defenses can double and triple our main guys. Be more aggressive with the ball and move without the ball! Just thinking out loud.

All that might get us a few easy buckets but it doesn't necessarily translate to shooting threes better since we already miss open shots. We might actually be shooting better from 17 feet, which many would argue is a more difficult shot in today's game. We can only hope that as this young team continues to mature, shooting will improve!

Bonus material:
I thought these stats were really interesting. Some common opponents. It shows how crazy basketball can be. These are games I watched except the last one. Most are of significance to Syracuse/UW.​

3-pointers
KU 36% 11/31 winner
SU 22% 6/27, highest attempts this season

SU 25% 4/16 winner
UConn 37% 7/19

KU 29% 8/28 winner
UK 23% 3/13, doesn't shoot well, limits attempts

UW 43% 9/21 winner
KU 25% 5/20

VaTech 68% 15/22 winner big,
UW 28% 5/18

Florida 47% 17/36 winner, 2ot
Gonzaga 32% 10/31

Duke 44% 10/23 winner, close game, two teams who rely on the three
Florida 40% 8/20

Fla.St. 30% 7/23 winner, killed them on the boards
Florida 24% 6/25

Loy. Ill. 50% 6/12 winner, one of the top shooting teams in the country
Florida 10% 2/19

It's worth noting that compared to the other teams above we are middle of the pack in opponents percentage while last in shooting percentage. This is reflected nationally, as the op points out. The closest to our 27% is UConn at 31%. Everyone else is 34+.

Also, we are the only team to beat an opponent who shot the three better than us and in this case it was significantly better. Random list, though.

If you look at whole schedules, you can see some stylistic markers too. Teams that prefer high-scoring perimeter games like Florida, Duke, and VaTech versus teams like Syracuse, UK, and Fla.State. Matchups are a big deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom