Our crying need. A true center! | Syracusefan.com

Our crying need. A true center!

IDOC

Scout Team
Surely between high school seniors, junior colleges, Canada and the portal there must be available a “ tall 6’10’ or more, strong with a decently heavy body, and rebounding and some shooting ability available. It would be nice to see Brown play forward which I assume is his true position. I feel somewhat sorry for him.
Other schools seem to do this successfully.

I’d like to see Syracuse get involved with Aaron Bradshaw, reserve center from Kentucky who played at Roselle

Surely between high school seniors, junior colleges, Canada and the portal there must be available a “ tall 6’10’ or more, strong with a decently heavy body, and rebounding and some shooting ability available. It would be nice to see Brown play forward which I assume is his true position. I feel somewhat sorry for him.
Other schools seem to do this successfully.
Don't forget Europe or Africa. Where is the next Rudy Gobert and Hakeem Olajuwon? I'm sure they are beating our door down.

Start here
He left the UAlbany team a week or so ago. My source says he doesn't like the UAlbany staff. Will have two years left. I have no idea if he has ACC talent but did well in America East. Worth a look? Next portal period April 15 - 30.

I think the ticket for us is guys at a lower level that want to play at the next level. But it is very tough to figure out who can actually make that jump.
It shouldn't be that tough to figure out for a P6 Coach/talent evaluator who do this for a living, and make pretty good coin doing so. With all of these transfers, there have been many instances of players who were POY or DPOY in their low to mid major conference who have done very well in moving up. Conversely, we take a flier on Hima, who was a nothing bagel at Duquense. Realistically, did anyone expect him to be an important cog. Editor's note: Nothing against Hima as he seems like a great teammate and quality Individual.

I think the ticket for us is guys at a lower level that want to play at the next level. But it is very tough to figure out who can actually make that jump.
Productivity is productivity IMO. Need a guy who has been productive rather than taking chances on kids who may have the 'look'.

Take a guy like Josh Cohen. He played 3 seasons at Saint Francis in PA, 5ppg, 12ppg, then blew up as a junior. 22 ppg, 8 rpg, shot 59% from the field. Player of the Year in the league.

Transferred to UMass - probably a level and a half up from the NEC - and is now averaging 16 ppg, 7 rpg, shooting 55% from the field.

He's 6-10, not super athletic but knows how to play, knows how to be productive. Had 19 pts, 7 rebs. vs. West Virginia. Could you ever see McLeod having 19 points and 7 rebounds against anyone? We probably could have had him if we tried but we took a kid that has far less production and was tall.

Kids are out there that can play, and at this point I do not believe we should be taking chances on kids who are 7-0 and athletic but can't produce points or rebounds,

Patterson, Hima, McLeod... they're all the same. Tall guys who can move a little bit, might be able to block a few shots, but have no transferrable basketball skills. Bad hands, no feel, no ball skills, very few post moves.

It shouldn't be that tough to figure out for a P6 Coach/talent evaluator who do this for a living, and make pretty good coin doing so. With all of these transfers, there have been many instances of players who were POY or DPOY in their low to mid major conference who have done very well in moving up. Conversely, we take a flier on Hima, who was a nothing bagel at Duquense. Realistically, did anyone expect him to be an important cog. Editor's note: Nothing against Hima as he seems like a great teammate and quality Individual.
Posted something similar right after you. It's ridiculous that we take flyers on so many of these guys.

One (McLeod), fine.

Two (McLeod & Carey)... OK, maybe.

But we have FOUR of them - Hima, Carey, McLeod, Patterson... none of them have done a thing. And at this point, Brown (a 5th guy) is playing all of the minutes at the position!

So much roster imbalance at this position. Maximum 3 centers and really the way basketball is played now and with the way kids transfer in and out, 3 is a lot.

We have 4. And they all stink.

Well recruiting guys that avg 1PPG, and 4PPG at their previous stops isn't helping. (Hima, McLeod)
Especially Hima.

I'll beat this drum again - he redshirted as a freshman at Duquesne.

Then in his second collegiate season, he played 21 games - only 5 starts - and averaged 9.6 minutes per game for a 6-24 team in the Atlantic 10.

Did he show glimpses of doing things against elite level competition to warrant a scholarship offer to a team that plays at a much higher level? He had 9 points (career-high), 2 rebounds, 2 blocked shots against St. Bonaventure - and Osun Osunniyi, a guy we tried to get after he got out of his NLI.

Did the coaches just watch one game and decide to offer him, and simply ignore his 1.9 ppg, 2.8 rpg stats?

I don't know. But that decision was shockingly bad and really not excusable at any level no matter how good a kid he is (I have no doubt he's a fine kid).

Yeesh - Hima came here to backup a center (Jesse) with no expectations of playing more than a few minutes. McLeod was a last ditch effort to backfill Jesse who completely F’d us. I bet we tried to get 3-4 other guys before McLeod

Guys people want and expect don’t fall of of trees especially in those situations

Productivity is productivity IMO. Need a guy who has been productive rather than taking chances on kids who may have the 'look'.

Take a guy like Josh Cohen. He played 3 seasons at Saint Francis in PA, 5ppg, 12ppg, then blew up as a junior. 22 ppg, 8 rpg, shot 59% from the field. Player of the Year in the league.

Transferred to UMass - probably a level and a half up from the NEC - and is now averaging 16 ppg, 7 rpg, shooting 55% from the field.

He's 6-10, not super athletic but knows how to play, knows how to be productive. Had 19 pts, 7 rebs. vs. West Virginia. Could you ever see McLeod having 19 points and 7 rebounds against anyone? We probably could have had him if we tried but we took a kid that has far less production and was tall.

Kids are out there that can play, and at this point I do not believe we should be taking chances on kids who are 7-0 and athletic but can't produce points or rebounds,

Patterson, Hima, McLeod... they're all the same. Tall guys who can move a little bit, might be able to block a few shots, but have no transferrable basketball skills. Bad hands, no feel, no ball skills, very few post moves.
Agree. A miss is a miss in recruiting, but I'd be more understanding if we missed on a guy who was productive at some level in college and I could at least understand what the staff saw.

He left the UAlbany team a week or so ago. My source says he doesn't like the UAlbany staff. Will have two years left. I have no idea if he has ACC talent but did well in America East. Worth a look? Next portal period April 15 - 30.
He's most assured has a landing spot somewhere then.

Will finish out semester academically and move on.

I am certain we are not involved, but these are the type of transfers from lower levels we should look at.

Highly productive.

Last edited:
If Hima was healthy what I saw of him last yr wasn’t terrible - maybe it was lazy take by JB but again - who are we getting to only play 5 minutes behind Jesse

If Hima was healthy what I saw of him last yr wasn’t terrible - maybe it was lazy take by JB but again - who are we getting to only play 5 minutes behind Jesse
I think JB saw something in him that after a couple years in the program he could be a good enough big to be competent for fifteen a game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom