Our defense is stifling | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Our defense is stifling

It's going to suck when we lose in the 2nd round of the tourney to some bad of 10 seed because we let the other team dictate the tempo the whole time and some future CPA nails a three late in the game with three ticks on the shot clock. But I guess "Defensive lapses by a bunch of 19-23 year olds are to be expected."

I guess you didnt like yesterday when stanford was down 1 with a minute left and the zone caused a turnover, or the very next possession when stanford was down 3 and the zone caused a turnover. Back to back possessions with the game on the line and stanford couldnt get a shot off against the zone. And oh by the way they scored 63 points against the zone and turned it over 24 times. Not exactly the best game to start blasting the zone.

I guess you didnt like yesterday when stanford was down 1 with a minute left and the zone caused a turnover, or the very next possession when stanford was down 3 and the zone caused a turnover. Back to back possessions with the game on the line and stanford couldnt get a shot off against the zone. And oh by the way they scored 63 points against the zone and turned it over 24 times. Not exactly the best game to start blasting the zone.
We just sit back and wait for other teams to hand us the ball.

It's going to suck when we lose in the 2nd round of the tourney to some bad of 10 seed because we let the other team dictate the tempo the whole time and some future CPA nails a three late in the game with three ticks on the shot clock. But I guess "Defensive lapses by a bunch of 19-23 year olds are to be expected."

The defense seems to be designed to force the team into bad shots. It sucks when it works for 33 seconds and a kid gets an off balance 3 to bank in off the top of the backboard, but that's basketball. It happens regardless of the defense. We've had plenty of those shots over the years against teams playing man.

There are flaws to every defense. Personally, I enjoy watching the active zone that traps creates steals when teams take the ball to the lane. When the team is playing great defense (not when the "zone is working" because that's just silly because no one ever says that "man isn't working") it is incredibly fun to watch. When the team plays crappy defense the other team scores. And sometimes, the team can be playing good defense and the offense will find a way to score.

And it can't be a straw man to say that there are people here who think the team should win every game by 30 because those same people complain when we don't win by 30. I suppose you'd be happier if we lost playing a defense that you enjoyed watching.

But there was a 5 minute stretch where they scored on several possessions. What about that stretch?

Because - like being gay or straight - you don't decide to suddenly wake up one morning and choose to follow a different team.

Funny and true. For example, no one chooses to be a Syracuse football fan.

The defense seems to be designed to force the team into bad shots. It sucks when it works for 33 seconds and a kid gets an off balance 3 to bank in off the top of the backboard, but that's basketball. It happens regardless of the defense. We've had plenty of those shots over the years against teams playing man.

There are flaws to every defense. Personally, I enjoy watching the active zone that traps creates steals when teams take the ball to the lane. When the team is playing great defense (not when the "zone is working" because that's just silly because no one ever says that "man isn't working") it is incredibly fun to watch. When the team plays crappy defense the other team scores. And sometimes, the team can be playing good defense and the offense will find a way to score.

And it can't be a straw man to say that there are people here who think the team should win every game by 30 because those same people complain when we don't win by 30. I suppose you'd be happier if we lost playing a defense that you enjoyed watching.
When teams zone us for 2 minutes, I get uneasy. I cannot imagine preparing for something like Cuse's zone for 40 minutes. The story about the team practicing with broom handles was funny.

When teams zone us for 2 minutes, I get uneasy. I cannot imagine preparing for something like Cuse's zone for 40 minutes. The story about the team practicing with broom handles was funny.

I hate watching SU against a zone. It's embarrassing how bad our zone offense can be at times.

If the zone really bothers you that much then why bother watching?

I don't like every shot Dion throws up. I don't like every decision JB makes. I don't like Genny Cream Ale. I don't like relying solely on zone. I watch because it's 'my school.' Dion will take shots i DO like. JB will make decisions I think are sound. I can drink Coke. We weren't always a zone team, and we won't always be a zone team. That's why.

Besides that, it wasn't an argument about zone. The OP suggested our defense has been 'stifling.' Some of us don't agree. It's got nothing, really, to do with which defense we've been playing. The defense WAS stifling a couple of years ago. I, for one, just don't think it's been up to that standard. What's more, other teams, not playing our 'stifling' defense are holding us to 20 points per half. Are they also playing stifling D?

I have a feeling the same people who are saying our D is so incredible are the same people who said we're "stacked" and "loaded." Well, we'll see. When we play a good team, and all of our points come from the perimeter. So far, we've played VTech and Stanford. I don't think we've played an actual good team yet, and still we've been 'tested.' Not sure where all the bravado's coming from.

I can't believe some people can be so obtuse.

This is what I said initially:

"This isn't a black and white "play 40 minutes of zone or become a grinditout big 10 team" arguement. Why can't JB be a litle more proactive when we are OBVIOUSLY struggling to switch up the D, try to speed up the game and maybe a get a few easy buckets. Because God knows our half court offense sucks right now."

YOU came out with:

"I suppose you'd be happier if we lost playing a defense that you enjoyed watching."

That IS a strawman arguement.

It wasn't just "lucky shots" that Stanford or Va Tech were getting. They were good shots that resulted from patiently working the ball around and getting into the gaps. It's also our players getting lazy and fouling with a few ticks left on the shot clock. Watch the games again. There was a solid stretch where Stanford scored on every possession. Our DEFENSE was not working, and I would say the same thing if we were a primarily man to man team. I give a lot of credit to the team and Boeheim; we made adjustments and we executed and got the W.

I hate when people retort with logic like "well Tom Izzo doesn't win every year" or "Would you be happier if we lost playing a defense you enjoyed watching?" I'm fine if our primary D is zone. It can be extrememly effective when it's played properly. It's nice to have other options if we're not getting stops and our offense is stagnant.

We've seen the script before, and almost expect it now...

We'll see a ton of low scoring games this year as teams go deep into the shot clock every game. I am not seeing the learning curve this year for this team to learn different tweeks for different teams. It extends, it recognizes the shooters , it recovers when the ball gets down low, it doesn't give up the quick pass down low from the high post,Fab is blocking the short jumpers from the elbow,the off guard is stealing the pass to the foul line, a dribble or pass to the corner is sure death for the other team.

They got it covered

I went to both games, had good seats. Best defense I have seen in person in a long time (if ever) out of SU. Swarmed like the Ravens when the beat the NYG in the Super Bowl. So long and athletic, great nose for the ball. Our guys still do bend at the waist for loose balls though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxmom2317

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom