Our defense was the lone 'bright' spot for the TEAM | Syracusefan.com

Our defense was the lone 'bright' spot for the TEAM

swish7

All Conference
, but it was still dim.

The main (and only) positive team component I noticed during the game was our effort on D. Our guys were working hard against probably the most well coached program in the country. And our only positive stats were on the defensive end. We had 3 more steals, 3 more blocks, and caused 5 more turnovers.

Obviously, this is completely offset by the rebounding differential. -13 on defensive rebounds.

We had the same amount of shot attempts as the Zags, but missed 7 more.

The shots we are taking are either too hard (a testament to the opponents D, but also our own IQ), or we are making it too hard (jumping with indecision whether to shoot or pass).

Losing Jesse and Joe is way more impactful than people thought it would be it seems.

We need some scorers, and stat.

We need to start generating easier shots. We need more motion, more picks and rolls, draws and dumps. Hopefully this is a focus today and not trying to embarass this D2 team.

The individual bright spot was obviously Mintz. We would have lost by 40 without him.

SU.jpg

Last edited:
Some of the same things I noticed. That stretch where we had a number of stops and we got to within six (I think) was a good trend. Thought we might actually have a shot at this. Then we got back to taking stupid shots and turning it over ourselves and that did it. Seems when we got close the team just got too anxious.

Some of the same things I noticed. That stretch where we had a number of stops and we got to within six (I think) was a good trend. Thought we might actually have a shot at this. Then we got back to taking stupid shots and turning it over ourselves and that did it. Seems when we got close the team just got too anxious.
Definitely.
I think we are tiring out as well, maybe from the exertion on D.

We are too anxious on O for sure, but also lacking some basic IQ and execution in the 2-5 man game.

I'd like to think this team could learn some basic 2-3 man game components and run them to positive effect. We saw one good draw and dump from Mintz. Gonzaga was just drilling us with 2 man stuff over and over.

Our defense has a lot of potential. Our main issue is on the glass - we've made plenty of "stops" but then give up 2nd and 3rd chance points. I'd like to see us utilize pressure more, even if it's not a traditional press. I think 3/4 D that isn't a true press but makes the opposition work their way up the court and bleeds clock before they can get into their sets could help us out.

I'd also love to get in McLeod's ear and tell him to stop trying to block everything. Let your length disrupt and focus on being a menace on the glass. His goal should be 10+ rebounds a game.

, but it was still dim.

The main positive team component I noticed during the game was our effort on D. Our guys were working hard against probably the most well coached program in the country. And our only positive stats were on the defensive end. We had 3 more steals, 3 more blocks, and caused 5 more turnovers.

Obviously, this is completely offset by the rebounding differential. -13 on defensive rebounds.

The shots we are taking are either too hard (a testament to the opponents D, but also our own IQ), or we are making it too hard (jumping with indecision whether to shoot or pass).

Losing Jesse and Joe is way more impactful than people thought it would be it seems.

We need to start generating easier shots. We need more motion, more picks and rolls, draws and dumps. Hopefully this is a focus today and not trying to embarass this D2 team.
View attachment 233531
Gonzaga had very similar offensive stats as it did against Yale as they did us, not sure I’d use this game, especially it being a 20 point loss, to promote the defense.

Gonzaga had very similar offensive stats as it did against Yale as they did us, not sure I’d use this game, especially it being a 20 point loss, to promote the defense.
I want something positive to think about.

And, I liked the defensive effort.

Did not like the rebounding, and obviously our lack of offensive production.

I don't know that I agree. Gonzaga played fast, which leads to things like more turnovers.

But they basically carved us up. And that's borne out by the shooting percentages, all of the easy baskets they got, and their high assist-to-FG ratio.

I do agree that the defense was "better" than the offense, but that's a pretty low bar. I just disagree that the defense can be considered a "bright spot" from yesterday's game.

Agree completely. I believe we have the athletes to compete with top teams but not the experience and the sense of teamwork. Admittedly we have tons of work to figure out our offensive scheme, and play less selfishly, but I was pretty pleased with our defensive effort with the exception of rebounding.

Given we have many new young players and a new coach I am really not that shocked or upset. Did I wish we stole one of these, of course. But I didn’t expect it.

Our defense starts with Mintz. When he’s locked in our defense is ok. Unfortunately, Mintz takes one out of every three possessions off. He gambles and our defense gets broken down. He’s the most undisciplined defender on the team. Bell tries, but he’s just a mess on the defensive end. We don’t have anyone on this team, except maybe Justin, who actually wants to stick their nose in and rebound. This team lacks toughness and size. I don’t think our rebounding issue is going to be fixed enough to beat good teams. Our best bet might be to keep two bigs on the floor at a time. Benny has totally screwed up Red’s starting lineup and rotations.

, but it was still dim.

The main positive team component I noticed during the game was our effort on D. Our guys were working hard against probably the most well coached program in the country. And our only positive stats were on the defensive end. We had 3 more steals, 3 more blocks, and caused 5 more turnovers.

View attachment 233531
I don't see intense defensive play.

Our defense starts with Mintz. When he’s locked in our defense is ok. Unfortunately, Mintz takes one out of every three possessions off. He gambles and our defense gets broken down. He’s the most undisciplined defender on the team. Bell tries, but he’s just a mess on the defensive end. We don’t have anyone on this team, except maybe Justin, who actually wants to stick their nose in and rebound. This team lacks toughness and size. I don’t think our rebounding issue is going to be fixed enough to beat good teams. Our best bet might be to keep two bigs on the floor at a time. Benny has totally screwed up Red’s starting lineup and rotations.
Accurate observations.

I don't see intense defensive play.
I don't see too much laziness overall on D.

I see good to great effort being given. I don't see discipline, strategy, and good teamwork on D, but I do see effort. I don't see the individuals have a sense of what works and doesn't work, but they are running around and sweating.

Anyhow, I was pretty clear that this is a 'dim' bright spot.

I don't know that I agree. Gonzaga played fast, which leads to things like more turnovers.

But they basically carved us up. And that's borne out by the shooting percentages, all of the easy baskets they got, and their high assist-to-FG ratio.

I do agree that the defense was "better" than the offense, but that's a pretty low bar. I just disagree that the defense can be considered a "bright spot" from yesterday's game.
I think the team earned its turnovers. Gonzaga is not the type to be sloppy with the ball.

The Zags mostly carved us up after the team ran out of juice. With even mediocre shooting, the 8 point gap probably hovers around 2.

Anyway, when searching for a positive team aspect, this is the only one I saw.

I see good to great effort being given. I don't see discipline, strategy, and good teamwork on D, but I do see effort. I don't see the individuals have a sense of what works and doesn't work, but they are running around and sweating.

I hope I’m wrong.

I think the team earned its turnovers. Gonzaga is not the type to be sloppy with the ball.

The Zags mostly carved us up after the team ran out of juice. With even mediocre shooting, the 8 point gap probably hovers around 2.

Anyway, when searching for a positive team aspect, this is the only one I saw.

Not true -- they carved us up from the opening tap, getting easy shot after easy shot.

How many pick and rolls / easy dunks did they get?

I hope I’m wrong.
Yeah, I don't think it was the best defense overall, but it was the best team contribution to an otherwise dark game.

Centers need to rebound to play zone, 17 offensive boards with kickout 3s. With two quick offensive rebounds the game went from 6-12.

When you’re as quick as Judah and you’re consistently being beaten off the dribble it’s pure laziness, if it’s not that it’s lack of awareness.

Centers need to rebound to play zone, 17 offensive boards with kickout 3s. With two quick offensive rebounds the game went from 6-12.

And that was the game.

When you’re as quick as Judah and you’re consistently being beaten off the dribble it’s pure laziness, if it’s not that it’s lack of awareness.
Lack of awareness. I have never seen Judah be lazy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom