Our forwards- some statistics | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Our forwards- some statistics

That comp to Buddy is kinda interesting.

Yeah if you look at the peripheral stats they are similar in a lot of them. Buddy did get a lot more steals though; about twice as many per 40 minutes. But the blocks, rebounds, FTA, all pretty similar.

Yeah if you look at the peripheral stats they are similar in a lot of them. Buddy did get a lot more steals though; about twice as many per 40 minutes. But the blocks, rebounds, FTA, all pretty similar.
I do remember looking one time at how Buddy's rebounding compared to a sample of our other 2 guards, and he was abysmal.

I do remember looking one time at how Buddy's rebounding compared to a sample of our other 2 guards, and he was abysmal.
And buddy was, for better or for worse, a better iso player. Easily.

shumpert was about the same size as bell (maybe a scooch shorter) . better shooter .and would grab you 5 boards and couple steals a game. you can be a good outside weapon and contribute other ways.

And buddy was, for better or for worse, a better iso player. Easily.
I mean, yeah.

Buddy also developed into a fringe NBA guy.

It's a long ways off but it's not completely unfathomable that Bell could get there.

Nova fans didn't see Cole Swider that way.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Are we sure Bell is really a good shooter? Some of his misses my grandma would be that far off and she’s been dead for a decade.

Are we sure Bell is really a good shooter? Some of his misses my grandma would be that far off and she’s been dead for a decade.
Bell's 3 point percentages as a freshman and sophomore are both better than Swider's were when he was a freshman and sophomore.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I mean, yeah.

Buddy also developed into a fringe NBA guy.

It's a long ways off but it's not completely unfathomable that Bell could get there.
Goodness. If he leaves, I won't lose a second of sleep. I said it when I went to the hoop hall classic and saw him play 2 years ago. He couldn't stay in front of me. Goot stationary jump shooter. Doesn't handle the ball. Doesn't rebound. Doesn't play defense. We have to get a forward in the portal that does all 3 of those.

Goodness. If he leaves, I won't lose a second of sleep. I said it when I went to the hoop hall classic and saw him play 2 years ago. He couldn't stay in front of me. Goot stationary jump shooter. Doesn't handle the ball. Doesn't rebound. Doesn't play defense. We have to get a forward in the portal that does all 3 of those.
Exactly. The Copeland/Brown two-man game would open the floor for an exceptional SF. Priority one this summer.

What the numbers tell me is that Red Autry should be in line for a coach of the year nomination for getting as many wins as he have out of this group of players.

He will not win however he is, the other hand, responsible, if not 100% responsible, for having these players to work with in the first place.

What the numbers tell me is that Red Autry should be in line for a coach of the year nomination for getting as many wins as he have out of this group of players.

He will not win however he is, the other hand, responsible, if not 100% responsible, for having these players to work with in the first place.
I won't agree with that. The guy before him was 100% reasponsible for the players that are on this team.

Bell is a selfish player. He looks for his shot and only passes as a last resort. Can't walk and chew gum. Does not see the whole floor. When he shoots he does not follow up his shot. JT is the opposite. He is like a pitching machine. Pass him the ball and he automatically takes a few moments and then passes it back out.

I won't agree with that. The guy before him was 100% reasponsible for the players that are on this team.
First, I like Red, but the guy before him is factually not responsible for bringing in 100% of the players on this team. That guy did bring in the guys who made up his "best recruiting class ever" and who are still on the team, but Red brought at least one guy in who Boeheim could not reel in, and 3 other new guys. He also elected to run it back with most of the others on the team, and as you have noted in the past, he decided not to seek another experienced or more well rounded forward. That may have been the right decision at the time, but over time it has not worked out the way I am sure the coach thought it would work out.

First, I like Red, but the guy before him is factually not responsible for bringing in 100% of the players on this team. That guy did bring in the guys who made up his "best recruiting class ever" and who are still on the team, but Red brought at least one guy in who Boeheim could not reel in, and 3 other new guys. He also elected to run it back with most of the others on the team, and as you have noted in the past, he decided not to seek another experienced or more well rounded forward. That may have been the right decision at the time, but over time it has not worked out the way I am sure the coach thought it would work out.
I don't blame JJ, Cuffe or McCloud for this mess. It's our problem at forward that is killing us. And those guys were jb guys.

I don't blame JJ, Cuffe or McCloud for this mess. It's our problem at forward that is killing us. And those guys were jb guys.
I don’t disagree, but JJ has been marginally better than Bell. His defense is awful. That said Red probably put too much faith in Benny this year more than anything.

Agreed. The forward position is the weak link. If we had a couple of complete forwards this team would be very good.

Agreed, too many holes in his game. Makes me wonder, how was he ever rated in the Top 100 of the 2022 class?

Were they truly JB guys or guys the assistants could recruit and land since JB was not very engaged with recruiting at the end? Didn't JB say the assistants bring me the players and I coach them? Something to that affect, we're splitting hairs and I see your point and ar injs.

IMO JB said stuff to justify sticking around even after his boys left.

The list is flawed. Maliq has played almost all of his minutes at the 5 spot. Maybe, he should be a PF, but he hasnt been used that way at all. Cant include him.

Not sure what Cope's mix is between forward and guard, but he is a dual position player.

That leaves Benny, Justin, and Bell as our three pure forwards.

They may well represent the worst forward combination in the ACC and beyond. May well also be the worst forward combination we have ever had in the Jimmy and post-Jimmy era.

Justin is an average rebounder who can no longer score. He is nothing special on D.

Bell is as one dimensional a player as we have ever had at forward.

Benny may be erratic, but at least he can sometimes score and he can sometimes rebound. He is easily the best of the three and should be starting. Time to forgive his early season transgressions unless there are still behind the scenes problems that I am unaware of.

All in all, you look at what was left on the cupboard for Red, and he has done a great job.

Looking forward (no pun intended), there is every reason to believe that Freeman will be an answer at one forward spot. My guess is that 2 of the 3 between Benny, Justin, and Bell do not return. We pretty clearly have to work the portal for another starting caliber forward and another guy who can compete for minutes. If we bring in a starting caliber center than that will free Maliq to play PF.

Hopefully, next year we will have enough roster talent to compete beyond middle of the pack.

The list is flawed. Maliq has played almost all of his minutes at the 5 spot. Maybe, he should be a PF, but he hasnt been used that way at all. Cant include him.

Not sure what Cope's mix is between forward and guard, but he is a dual position player.

That leaves Benny, Justin, and Bell as our three pure forwards.

They may well represent the worst forward combination in the ACC and beyond. May well also be the worst forward combination we have ever had in the Jimmy and post-Jimmy era.

Justin is an average rebounder who can no longer score. He is nothing special on D.

Bell is as one dimensional a player as we have ever had at forward.

Benny may be erratic, but at least he can sometimes score and he can sometimes rebound. He is easily the best of the three and should be starting. Time to forgive his early season transgressions unless there are still behind the scenes problems that I am unaware of.

All in all, you look at what was left on the cupboard for Red, and he has done a great job.

Looking forward (no pun intended), there is every reason to believe that Freeman will be an answer at one forward spot. My guess is that 2 of the 3 between Benny, Justin, and Bell do not return. We pretty clearly have to work the portal for another starting caliber forward and another guy who can compete for minutes. If we bring in a starting caliber center than that will free Maliq to play PF.

Hopefully, next year we will have enough roster talent to compete beyond middle of the pack.
I don’t think any of the 3 should return and I think you’re being way too nice to Benny. He’s bad. Just less bad than the other 2.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom