Our guards defense. | Syracusefan.com

Our guards defense.

M

Manleymen

Just watched the condensed version of the Duke game where they show the field goals made. I just focused on watching our guards defense, footwork, arms, hands, positioning. When the shots go up our guards rarely jump to contend, just a cursory arm up in the air, they simply freeze and rarely offer any boxing out, just leaving the other 3 on an island to battle the boards. Most of the time they are not even in a defensive posture. After watching either you will laugh or sit in stunned silence, mouth agape. I am dreaming at this point but if they showed just a little heart, effort, and grit on the d, just maybe we would not have to rely on simply out scoring opponents every game. I usually check out all the condensed games and it is not just Duke. Offense is glamorous and gets the glory, but wow - just wow.

Just watched the condensed version of the Duke game where they show the field goals made. I just focused on watching our guards defense, footwork, arms, hands, positioning. When the shots go up our guards rarely jump to contend, just a cursory arm up in the air, they simply freeze and rarely offer any boxing out, just leaving the other 3 on an island to battle the boards. Most of the time they are not even in a defensive posture. After watching either you will laugh or sit in stunned silence, mouth agape. I am dreaming at this point but if they showed just a little heart, effort, and grit on the d, just maybe we would not have to rely on simply out scoring opponents every game. I usually check out all the condensed games and it is not just Duke. Offense is glamorous and gets the glory, but wow - just wow.
Why play D when no matter how little effort you put forth there are zero repercussions in terms of the only thing players care about ? (Pt)

I was absolutely shocked at how many wide open threes duke got just one or two passes into their sets. It was a joke.

it wasn’t even a case of our non athletes not moving fast enuf, they just werent moving at all.

I was absolutely shocked at how many wide open threes duke got just one or two passes into their sets. It was a joke.

it wasn’t even a case of our non athletes not moving fast enuf, they just werent moving at all.
A passed ball moves faster than any defender can. Any good, balanced offense will rip any zone to shreds after a few possessions to find its weaknesses

Yes defense at the top of the zone has been non existent.
Girard is quick enough to anticipate and get into a passing lane. Other than that
there aint much happening. Hands down so entry passes to the post are easy.
JG at 6 ft. and Buddy with cement shoes can't contest outside shooters.
I can't understand how a 6'6" kid playing 36 minutes a game can get through a game with 2 rebs.
You think about guards like Triche and others at the top of the zone...and what we have now,
DEFENSIVELY it has been a precipitous drop.

We were getting killed with corner threes. Why in hell does JB continue to have his forwards play so high. Most of the time the forward and guards are right next to each other. Keep your forwards flatter and cover the corners and keep your center from being on an island. Buddy and Joe also play too close to each other and move to the ball every time even if the guard is still where they just left him. Match up and stay with the shooters. You can’t play defense like a robot and don’t adjust to what’s happening. Duke occasionally plays zone and they don’t have their forwards play 25 feet from the basket. Flattening out the zone keeps the center from running to the corner to be completely out of position on defense. Makes zero sense.

Joe, the coach's sons and most high level high school players don't play or embrace playing D. When they get to college you get interested in D as a way to get PT. None of our scorers have any threat about coming out when they don't play good D...so they don't feel the need.

This type of play will continue until there is NO Boeheim on the bench. JB has never and will never change his scheme even though players are so much better today then in the 80's. We fans must live with and realize that JB is going to go out the same as John Channy. I for one am looking forward to a change, hopefully I live that long. JB may coach his grandkids..

I mean, let's be honest...our guards CAN'T jump.

The zone is washed. We were complaining about giving up too many open looks with Battle, Gillon and Howard at the top of the zone. We will be complaining next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom