Our guys at the the Prep Showcase | Syracusefan.com

Our guys at the the Prep Showcase

cuseguy

Living Legend
Had the opportunity to watch several of our incoming recruits at the National Prep Showcase yesterday in New Haven. I’ve seen a number of our prospects here over the years, from Chris McCullough to Kaleb Joseph to Tyler Lydon. We won’t get into how some of their fortunes turned out at SU.

I was expecting to see three of our recruits playing for two teams in a game pitting IMG Academy against Northfield Mt. Hermon. Unfortunately, Pete Carey, who plays for NMH, is injured and sat on the bench in sweats.

Haven’t seen much of Carey so this was a lost opportunity. First, he looks to be a legit 6-11 or so. On the downside, as had been noted, he could use to add about 25 pounds..I wouldn’t expect him to see the court much next year, if at all. But I am curious to see if he might be able to play some power forward. Just a thought.

Quadir Copeland and Justin Taylor, who share the backcourt for IMG, played as advertised. Copeland isn’t much of a scorer. He had 6 points and 6 rebounds in this game on 2-9 shooting. He missed all three of his 3 point attempts. It’s not a strength, as two were missed badly. Copeland’s strength is penetrating and passing. He had 2 assists this time, but it wasn’t because he wasn’t trying. His offense primarily comes from getting into the lane and attempting runners and layups while positioned in the air. His two baskets this time came in a layup and a floater. And whatever you heard about his high dribble possibly being a concern, it’s not an issue.

There was concern over the summer that Taylor wasn’t shooting well. On this night, it’s still an issue. He was 0 of 12 from the floor and really wasn’t close with many shots. He missed all four 3 pointers. He made four free throws on 7 attempts with 2 rebounds and 1 assist.

The similarities raised between Taylor and Buddy are really only in appearance. Justin needs a lot of work on his shooting and he doesn’t have the ability, right now, to get in the lane and make turnaround jumpers..There is potential, but I wouldn’t expect much from him next year. Same goes for Copeland. They’ll need at least a year to develop

Had the opportunity to watch several of our incoming recruits at the National Prep Showcase yesterday in New Haven. I’ve seen a number of our prospects here over the years, from Chris McCullough to Kaleb Joseph to Tyler Lydon. We won’t get into how some of their fortunes turned out at SU.

I was expecting to see three of our recruits playing for two teams in a game pitting IMG Academy against Northfield Mt. Hermon. Unfortunately, Pete Carey, who plays for NMH, is injured and sat on the bench in sweats.

Haven’t seen much of Carey so this was a lost opportunity. First, he looks to be a legit 6-11 or so. On the downside, as had been noted, he could use to add about 25 pounds..I wouldn’t expect him to see the court much next year, if at all. But I am curious to see if he might be able to play some power forward. Just a thought.

Quadir Copeland and Justin Taylor, who share the backcourt for IMG, played as advertised. Copeland isn’t much of a scorer. He had 6 points and 6 rebounds in this game on 2-9 shooting. He missed all three of his 3 point attempts. It’s not a strength, as two were missed badly. Copeland’s strength is penetrating and passing. He had 2 assists this time, but it wasn’t because he wasn’t trying. His offense primarily comes from getting into the lane and attempting runners and layups while positioned in the air. His two baskets this time came in a layup and a floater. And whatever you heard about his high dribble possibly being a concern, it’s not an issue.

There was concern over the summer that Taylor wasn’t shooting well. On this night, it’s still an issue. He was 0 of 12 from the floor and really wasn’t close with many shots. He missed all four 3 pointers. He made four free throws on 7 attempts with 2 rebounds and 1 assist.

The similarities raised between Taylor and Buddy are really only in appearance. Justin needs a lot of work on his shooting and he doesn’t have the ability, right now, to get in the lane and make turnaround jumpers..There is potential, but I wouldn’t expect much from him next year. Same goes for Copeland. They’ll need at least a year to develop
Well, that is just great. I would have gone yesterday but for the two Syracuse games I sadly stayed home to watch. Seems like going wouldn't have been a better treat. I will go to the Hall of Fame classic in January to see IMG. Hopefully one of those two can hit a shot.

Well, unless we lose a transfer or two, we’ll only have 2 scholarships available.
Unless he completely disappoints Swider will likely not be here for his last year.

Unless he completely disappoints Swider will likely not be here for his last year.
Yeah, he’s not coming back.

Starting lineup next year will be Edwards, Benny, Bunch, Torrence and Girard.

Last I knew it was suggested Symir would be the PG and Joe the 2, but the early returns on Symir have not made me confident on that potential lineup.

Especially since we would be much shorter at the top of the zone.

Well, unless we lose a transfer or two, we’ll only have 2 scholarships available.
2 scholarships available, 2 transfers come in (a shooting guard and a small forward), what’s the issue? Of course we’re going to pound the portal. That’s always been the plan.

What players can come back and who do you think will be back?
Everyone “can” come back except Jimmy and Bourama. As far as who will, I have given up on trying to guess that although Buddy has said “at this point” he will not take the extra year.

There’s definitely a chance for us to bring in a highly regarded pg transfer, move jg to sg for a season and keep symir as the third head for one more year

There’s definitely a chance for us to bring in a highly regarded pg transfer, move jg to sg for a season and keep symir as the third head for one more year

Anyone specific, or are you just suggesting "there's a chance" that we explore that route?

I hope its Kooks but that ship has sailed a long time ago.

Anyone specific, or are you just suggesting "there's a chance" that we explore that route?
Mika Adams-Woods. I heard he was a possibility last year but guess he didnt test it out. We usually only tap into ones we recruited in the past (Jb gon JB) so a Noah Farrakhan, Addison Patterson, Aaron Estrada or Josh Pierre-Louis wouldnt be a shock either

Mika Adams-Woods. I heard he was a possibility last year but guess he didnt test it out. We usually only tap into ones we recruited in the past (Jb gon JB) so a Noah Farrakhan, Addison Patterson, Aaron Estrada or Josh Pierre-Louis wouldnt be a shock either
Addison Patterson? Could he be the Canadian player to be named later in the Guerrier deal?
Edit: I didn't realize he transferred to Nevada. Now he isn't on Nevada's roster. Just checked, he moved on to Salt Lake Community College, but now he isn't on their roster either. So, apparently he isn't playing anywhere now? That's a shame, he has a lot of talent.

Last edited:

Thanks. That would be pretty cool.

Also, given how Joe seems to have ratcheted up his scoring and shooting efficiency, I could see him playing in tandem with a "true" PG, supplementing ball handling / play making, but primarily playing off the ball to free him up to do what he does best - put the ball in the hoop.

Most of those guys are already on their second school, crazy

Only problem with that logic is that we should've done that THIS year but JB was content with Joe as the pg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom