Our guys at the the Prep Showcase | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Our guys at the the Prep Showcase

Only problem with this logic is that Joe has been our best player so far.
Joe could function just fine as an off-guard. Not sure what your point is. We still lack a guard that can handle under pressure, create offense for his teammates... while also not being a liability on defense.

Joe could function just fine as an off-guard. Not sure what your point is. We still lack a guard that can handle under pressure, create offense for his teammates... while also not being a liability on defense.
My point is he has been functioning just fine as a point guard, and currently everyone on the team is a liability on defense. In 28 min / game - his avg is 19.3 pts, 6.7 ast and 2.3 turnovers
I don't know what you were expecting, if he's the off-guard where does Buddy play?

His defense is not stellar, but I don't think anyone on this team plays good defense.

Especially since we would be much shorter at the top of the zone.
I'll start off by saying that if Symir is starting for us, he's either improved tremendously or something has gone terribly wrong for the program.

But having said that, I don't think losing Buddy at the top of the zone is a loss at all, especially relative to Symir. Symir would likely be an upgrade in terms of rebounding, rotations, and obviously athleticism. I love what Buddy brings to the floor offensively, but he's legitimately pathetic in terms of rebounding the ball and obviously isn't much of an athlete at the top of the zone.

I'll start off by saying that if Symir is starting for us, he's either improved tremendously or something has gone terribly wrong for the program.

But having said that, I don't think losing Buddy at the top of the zone is a loss at all, especially relative to Symir. Symir would likely be an upgrade in terms of rebounding, rotations, and obviously athleticism. I love what Buddy brings to the floor offensively, but he's legitimately pathetic in terms of rebounding the ball and obviously isn't much of an athlete at the top of the zone.
Losing to Colgate isn’t enough for you?

Only problem with that logic is that we should've done that THIS year but JB was content with Joe as the pg.
JB just didnt want a legit 4th guard to be added to the competition.
I see alot teams rotate in as many as 5 guards into a game, that may be too many but its crazy to not have 4 acc level guards on the roster in case of injury, depth, practice competition, etc.

Losing to Colgate isn’t enough for you?
We may have lost to Colgate, but we lost to Colgate with much better players in our starting lineup than Symir Torrence.

Mika Adams-Woods. I heard he was a possibility last year but guess he didnt test it out. We usually only tap into ones we recruited in the past (Jb gon JB) so a Noah Farrakhan, Addison Patterson, Aaron Estrada or Josh Pierre-Louis wouldnt be a shock either

We’d be Patterson’s 4th school. No thanks.

Mika Adams-Woods. I heard he was a possibility last year but guess he didnt test it out. We usually only tap into ones we recruited in the past (Jb gon JB) so a Noah Farrakhan, Addison Patterson, Aaron Estrada or Josh Pierre-Louis wouldnt be a shock either
I wonder if Joel brown could be an option out of cal… Brewster connection with buddy and from Canada. Hard to imagine Mark Fox gets another shot because that team and program has been BAD.

Did we ever actually reach out to Aaron Estrada? I thought he just put us in his top 3 (when he originally went to Oregon) because he was from NJ/ liked the program and hoped we would offer him. He wasn’t very good at Oregon and is doing ok on a decent Hofstra team.

Had the opportunity to watch several of our incoming recruits at the National Prep Showcase yesterday in New Haven. I’ve seen a number of our prospects here over the years, from Chris McCullough to Kaleb Joseph to Tyler Lydon. We won’t get into how some of their fortunes turned out at SU.

I was expecting to see three of our recruits playing for two teams in a game pitting IMG Academy against Northfield Mt. Hermon. Unfortunately, Pete Carey, who plays for NMH, is injured and sat on the bench in sweats.

Haven’t seen much of Carey so this was a lost opportunity. First, he looks to be a legit 6-11 or so. On the downside, as had been noted, he could use to add about 25 pounds..I wouldn’t expect him to see the court much next year, if at all. But I am curious to see if he might be able to play some power forward. Just a thought.

Quadir Copeland and Justin Taylor, who share the backcourt for IMG, played as advertised. Copeland isn’t much of a scorer. He had 6 points and 6 rebounds in this game on 2-9 shooting. He missed all three of his 3 point attempts. It’s not a strength, as two were missed badly. Copeland’s strength is penetrating and passing. He had 2 assists this time, but it wasn’t because he wasn’t trying. His offense primarily comes from getting into the lane and attempting runners and layups while positioned in the air. His two baskets this time came in a layup and a floater. And whatever you heard about his high dribble possibly being a concern, it’s not an issue.

There was concern over the summer that Taylor wasn’t shooting well. On this night, it’s still an issue. He was 0 of 12 from the floor and really wasn’t close with many shots. He missed all four 3 pointers. He made four free throws on 7 attempts with 2 rebounds and 1 assist.

The similarities raised between Taylor and Buddy are really only in appearance. Justin needs a lot of work on his shooting and he doesn’t have the ability, right now, to get in the lane and make turnaround jumpers..There is potential, but I wouldn’t expect much from him next year. Same goes for Copeland. They’ll need at least a year to develop

So Boeheim saying this is our best recruiting class ever goes into the "Boeheim says things" file?

Much more likely to bring in a SG (in Andrew white mode) and keep Joe at PG.

I realize this list of transfer possibilities is speculative. But if that caliber of player is the best SU can do to replace an all-ACC type guard like Buddy, this program is likely headed for a disastrous season next year. Patterson has issues and probably can not qualify. The other school-hoppers are depth talent at best for a team with NCAA aspirations.

I get that for better or worse, Boeheim is wedded to the idea of Girard as a 35+ minute starting guard. That doesn't matter. The other spot is wide open for an elite transfer. Recruiting-wise, we had de-commitments from Johnson and Lands. We came up short on Starling and Westry. The info in this thread suggests that neither Copeland nor Taylor will be ready to start, let alone excel, in Year 1. Therefore, SU needs to target the highest level guards in the portal, not slight upgrades to Symir.

Oh, and by the way, even a fabulous guard is not enough. We also need to portal pound for a top forward. No matter what high level Benny Williams rises to in Year 2, there is no holdover or incoming '22 frosh remotely ready to start alongside him. The competition for top transfers will be intense. If the staff comes up short again, I will not blame them for trying. But if all they do is set their sights low, settling for system players or guys they know from previous recruitment, the resulting fiasco will be entirely their fault.

Any talk of Symir playing extended minutes is crazy. He looks like Kaleb

He dribbles around with no purpose and makes really bad decisions. This is the best we can do? I can't believe he's playing as much as he is.

He dribbles around with no purpose and makes really bad decisions. This is the best we can do? I can't believe he's playing as much as he is.
And you should notice, we only have three guards on scholarship. Who the f*** else are we supposed to play?

Agree with him not contributing much though.

Yeah, he’s not coming back.

Starting lineup next year will be Edwards, Benny, Bunch, Torrence and Girard.
Man I hope not - this year's team would smoke that squad, and that is not a compliment.

Is JAB really sticking around to coach that squad? I do not see the fun in watching that let alone coaching that.
Yeah, that sounds more like a lineup JB's replacement will inherit. I hate to think about the bench behind those guys.

Yes
In your opinion would he have to finish below 500 to consider retiring this year? In that scenario he would be feeling tremendous scrutiny just from the revenue hit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom