our last possession in regulation | Syracusefan.com

our last possession in regulation

PeteCalvin said:
The play was for a dump off to Lydon. The play was there. Lydon was wide open. Cooney's pass was tipped. He should have either bounce passed or lobbed it.

I didnt like it. I dont want cooney driving and dishing, the ball shouldnt have left G's hands.

shandeezy7 said:
The play called worked to perfection, minus the final execution. The lost art of the bounce pass...

But thats what happens when you trust cooney to make the pass and not your pg.

The Wisconsin kid made a play. Cooney's been with us for forever, he executed it fine.

I don't even think he made a play. He just put his hands up once Cooney drove to him. Ball happened to hit one of the hands. Happens.

My issue is we went a little early imo.

G has more turnovers in the lane then cooney alot alot alot more that is my only quarrel with him this year and its a small one.

More importantly why was everyone but G getting shots in the OT? Don't know if he had a shot through first 4:00 minutes.

play was there. Execution was not. If Cooney makes the bounce pass, it's a dunk for Lydon

I'm okay with it - a guy who is not at all adept at creating offense for others, and not a very good finisher - going hard to the rim...what could go wrong?

In bizarro world it would have been a lob for a dunk.

In my opinion its too risky a play to call in that stage of the game. With a tie score and ten seconds left, you want to be taking a shot as the clock expires so you leave them with almost nothing by the time they could corral a board.

Ghost said:
I'm okay with it - a guy who is not at all adept at creating offense for others, and not a very good finisher - going hard to the rim...what could go wrong?

In bizarro world it would have been a lob for a dunk.

Exactly. I dont care if lydon was open, you dont want to trust cooney in that situation driving and dishing, its not his game. That has charge or bad pass written all over it. Set something up to get cooney an open jumper, or isolate G 1 on 1. But cooney driving???? Ewwwwwwww

The play was for a dump off to Lydon. The play was there. Lydon was wide open. Cooney's pass was tipped. He should have either bounce passed or lobbed it.

Agreed, but he's never been a good passer so I can't be surprised that he didn't make a good pass, and I can't like a play that requires him to do something that he's not all that good at.

People keep defending the call because Lydon was open and Cooney threw the ball in his general direction?... Uh, the reason it was a bad play is because Cooney is 9/10 times not making the right pass. (There's more to a pass then just throwing it in the vicinity of someone). If a lob or bounce pass works then that validates everyone saying the play was bad since, um, it didn't work because the guy penetrating tried throwing a fastball through the defense.

That along with Joseph over DC was puzzling. Just a bad game overall, from everyone, coach included.

People keep defending the call because Lydon was open and Cooney threw the ball in his general direction?... Uh, the reason it was a bad play is because Cooney is 9/10 times not making the right pass. (There's more to a pass then just throwing it in the vicinity of someone). If a lob or bounce pass works then that validates everyone saying the play was bad since, um, it didn't work because the guy penetrating tried throwing a fastball through the defense.

That along with Joseph over DC was puzzling. Just a bad game overall, from everyone, coach included.

100% on the mark. It was a spazzy pass from a spazzy passer. If Cooney was Sherman Douglas or Billy Owens or Gerry McNamara, it's a great play and an easy hoop. But he's not, and we don't have anyone who is. Therefore, I didn't like it. It wasn't something we are good at, which is un-Boeheim like. He's excellent at getting his squads to do the things they are good at, especially down the stretch.

OrangeDW said:
100% on the mark. It was a spazzy pass from a spazzy passer. If Cooney was Sherman Douglas it's a great play and an easy hoop. But he's not, and we don't have anyone who is. Therefore, I didn't like it. It wasn't something we are good at, which is un-Boeheim like. He's excellent at getting his squads to do the things they are good at, especially down the stretch.

He rocketed the pass.

Odell Beckham wouldn't have caught it.

In my opinion its too risky a play to call in that stage of the game. With a tie score and ten seconds left, you want to be taking a shot as the clock expires so you leave them with almost nothing by the time they could corral a board.

If the pass got through and Lydon dunked it, I think Wisconsin would have had about 8 seconds left. I think the game clock and shot clock difference was about 6 seconds. We cut it as close as we could.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom