our last possession in regulation | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

our last possession in regulation

I'm not sure what this proves.

He's a better passer than Cooney with better court sense. He averaged 3.6 assists last year, and was averaging 4 coming into today. Better than Cooney in both regards.

5 assists tonight. Cooney had 1.

Cooney had 8 foul shots driving to the basket and made 6 :Mike G had 4 free throws and only made 1. (his only made ft was in OT) .

Didn't anyone watch the OT, Mike G did have the ball - he took 4 shots- 3 jumpers , made one 3 pointer, missed his only drive, and had 2 free throws making 1. He took 4 of our 9 shots in OT with Malachi taking 3 shots. We just didn't execute well.

Did anyone notice that Cooney, Mike G and Malachi all had wraps on their legs? Is this a fashion statement or are they dinged up?

He's a better passer than Cooney with better court sense. He averaged 3.6 assists last year, and was averaging 4 coming into today. Better than Cooney in both regards.

G has averaged basically one more assist per game over the last two seasons than Cooney. Considering G played probably half his minutes at PG last season and almost all his minutes there this season, I'd say that alone indicates he's not a particularly skillful passer. You're almost guaranteed 3 or 4 assists per game just by virtue of being the guy who dribbles the ball up the court. Neither player has great court vision and neither creates well for others.

Going with the eye test, G does not convert many difficult passes and turns the ball over at a pretty high clip. Bottom line, Cooney and G aren't great distributors and it probably wouldn't have mattered which one was in there for that specific play. Considering Wisky made it a point of emphasis to keep G out of the lane, unlike Cooney, I think Cooney was the smart play.

A lot of our assists come on kick-outs to 3pt shooters or passing ot a 3pt shooter off a screen. We don't have many assists where we drive and find someone down low. As an aside, I thought Mali had 3 or 4 really really nice passes tonight that we just couldn't finish around the rim.

G has averaged basically one more assist per game over the last two seasons than Cooney. Considering G played probably half his minutes at PG last season and almost all his minutes there this season, I'd say that alone indicates he's not a particularly skillful passer. You're almost guaranteed 3 or 4 assists per game just by virtue of being the guy who dribbles the ball up the court. Neither player has great court vision and neither creates well for others.

Going with the eye test, G does not convert many difficult passes and turns the ball over at a pretty high clip. Bottom line, Cooney and G aren't great distributors and it probably wouldn't have mattered which one was in there for that specific play. Considering Wisky made it a point of emphasis to keep G out of the lane, unlike Cooney, I think Cooney was the smart play.

They didn't care about keeping Cooney out of the lane because he's not good at doing anything in the lane. Go to your best player IMO.

They didn't care about keeping Cooney out of the lane because he's not good at doing anything in the lane. Go to your best player IMO.

Exactly, they didn't care about Cooney getting in the lane. Might as well draw up the play for a 5th year senior you know can get to the rim instead of the one who was probably not going to be able to get to the rim due to the defensive focus. If G did get there, he'd be no more likely to convert that pass than Cooney was.

Exactly, they didn't care about Cooney getting in the lane. Might as well draw up the play for a 5th year senior you know can get to the rim instead of the one who was probably not going to be able to get to the rim due to the defensive focus. If G did get there, he'd be no more likely to convert that pass than Cooney was.

Let's set up Coleman to take a 3 next time, nobody will expect it or guard him and it will be a wide open shot.

Let's set up Coleman to take a 3 next time, nobody will expect it or guard him and it will be a wide open shot.

Now you're being a douchebag. Cooney is not entirely hopeless when he drives, evidenced to a degree in Atlantis.

Now you're being a douchebag. Cooney is not entirely hopeless when he drives, evidenced to a degree in Atlantis.

I'd be interested in how many drive and dish assists he's gotten in his career.

No need for childish namecalling. It was an extreme example, but just making a point that going to something you're not good at because the other team won't be trying to take it away isn't necessarily a good option. I'd have preferred a Mike G contested jumper, if that's what we would've got if we went to him.

I'd be interested in how many drive and dish assists he's gotten in his career.

No need for childish namecalling. It was an extreme example, but just making a point that going to something you're not good at because the other team won't be trying to take it away isn't necessarily a good option. I'd have preferred a Mike G contested jumper, if that's what we would've got if we went to him.

Then we fundamentally disagree on the capabilities of Cooney. Can he get to the rim without losing the ball? Absolutely. Can he finish at the rim? Sometimes. Can he get the ball to the 6'9" guy at the rim? Probably. Considering the pass was about an inch away from turning into a wide open dunk, I'd say the play was good and the execution was pretty good. The defense made a play. It happens.

If G shot a contested jumper and missed, the first comments on this board would be that we needed to try to get to the rim (which G wasn't going to be able to do on that possession).

Last edited by a moderator:
The pass was deflected because the defender hedged just a bit to to help close the passing lane. The reason he could hedge was that he knew Cooney was not going to blow by him to the basket.

When you have to wind the ball to another player and through another player for it to be successful, it is not a good pass. As the play broke down a bit, the pass should have never been made. There was time to regroup.

Last edited:
The pass was deflected because the defender hedged just a bit to to help close the passing lane. The reason he could hedge was that he knew Cooney was not going to blow by him to the basket.

When you have to wind the ball to another player and through another player for it to be successful, it is not a good pass. As the play broke down a bit, the pass should have never been made. There was time to regroup.

The bounce pass was wide open. A simple bounce pass and Lydon has a dunk.

I'm so happy that Cooney and Mike G are more mature working together on the court so much better than SU fans off the court who just relish playing a blame game pitting them in some imaginary selfish competition or consistent goat naming game.

I'm so happy that Cooney and Mike G are more mature working together on the court so much better than SU fans off the court who just relish playing a blame game pitting them in some imaginary selfish competition or consistent goat naming game.

its not blaming the players. its blaming boeheim. the ball needed to be in G's hands to create something, hes our pg and best player, not cooney.

its not blaming the players. its blaming boeheim. the ball needed to be in G's hands to create something, hes our pg and best player, not cooney.

JB put the ball in the hands of our 2 best free throw shooters- Cooney and Lydon, and you think that's a unique and flawed strategy when the opponent knows that a basket could lose the game? What team wouldn't rather force a player to earn it at the line? Cooney was at least getting fouled during the game while driving to the basket earning 8 free throws. Style points don't count on the scoreboard. The play worked darn well with 2 Wisky players stopping Cooney's drive, leaving Lydon alone. It just wasn't executed.

Mike G had 2 free throws in regulation, missing both and 2 more in OT making just 1. Who do you think Wisconsin would rather foul if he came anywhere near the basket and why? Coaches go with odds. I doubt Mike G was held back from driving when given the ball in OT yet didn't have one successful drive but yet you thought it was a no brainer at the end of regulation? I have no problem with the play nor either player. All the players had the chance to insure the game didn't go into OT and again to win in OT. They just didn't.

JB put the ball in the hands of our 2 best free throw shooters- Cooney and Lydon, and you think that's a unique and flawed strategy when the opponent knows that a basket could lose the game? What team wouldn't rather force a player to earn it at the line? Cooney was at least getting fouled during the game while driving to the basket earning 8 free throws. Style points don't count on the scoreboard. The play worked darn well with 2 Wisky players stopping Cooney's drive, leaving Lydon alone. It just wasn't executed.

Mike G had 2 free throws in regulation, missing both and 2 more in OT making just 1. Who do you think Wisconsin would rather foul if he came anywhere near the basket and why? Coaches go with odds. I doubt Mike G was held back from driving when given the ball in OT yet didn't have one successful drive but yet you thought it was a no brainer at the end of regulation? I have no problem with the play nor either player. All the players had the chance to insure the game didn't go into OT and again to win in OT. They just didn't.

COONEY IS NOT A GOOD CREATOR OR FINISHER! it wasnt executed because cooney's game is not driving and dishing. as soon as i saw the play develop i had a bad feeling it was ending in a charge or a turnover. if youre gonna run a play for cooney do it to set up an open jumper.

Good play design, bad execution. Should've been G handling the ball though. I don't trust Cooney trying to score or dish it off in that situation.

The play was for a dump off to Lydon. The play was there. Lydon was wide open. Cooney's pass was tipped. He should have either bounce passed or lobbed it.

Bounce pass.

IMHO, the same play with G running it results in a bounce pass lay up for Lydon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laxfan516

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom