Our New Coach should be Nunzio | Syracusefan.com

Our New Coach should be Nunzio

BillSU

All American
I don’t expect many here will agree with me on this but I think out HC has been here in waiting the entire season.

Coaches in waiting are there but I do not think any current NFL staffer/coordinator is going to want to make a move to coach again in the college ranks knowing what Syracuse has in front of them, from players dropping out of the program to NIL and other things that will have to be addressed.

Coaching us to a win this past Saturday was no easy task with Shrader coming into the game just before it started and winning it with Villari and Allen. Campanile works well with Beck who should also be retained and we played a game that satisfied all of us. Rocky’s D played a part in us getting to six wins.

Campanile is young, experienced and knows Syracuse better than anyone out there hoping to be hired. I hope he’s being considered. What he and Beck did out together was great. We’ll see what happens.

He is also a great recruiter probably our best and has developed the N.J. pipeline beyond what it was for us before he got here. You want a head coach who goes out and recruits, you got him in Nunzio. And, he recruits the best from Bergen Catholic to Don Bosco and all the top schools in that state and the states important to us for recruiting from NY to the DMV and beyond. I think he'd make a great head coach. he doesn't mess around but comes right to the point and develops players. At this point who knows who it will be. My vote is for Nunzio.

I believe Nunzio Campanile could handle the job and do it well. I copy/pasted the following from cuse.com for those of you who aren’t familiar with his background. After watching what ha did vs. Wake there isn’t any doubt in my mind that he could be our next successful HC.

BIO

An experienced power five coach with strong ties to northeast recruiting, Nunzio Campanile was hired as Syracuse's new tight ends coach in January 2023. On Nov. 19, 2023 he was named interim head coach of the program.

Campanile joined the Orange after spending the past five seasons at Rutgers, serving in numerous roles including interim stints as head coach and offensive coordinator, but spent most of his time dedicated to the tight ends room.

A Paramus Catholic graduate with strong ties across New Jersey, Campanile was an accomplished high school coach before joining the Scarlet Knights, with stints at national powerhouses Bergen Catholic and Don Bosco Prep.

Campanile joined Rutgers for the 2018 season as the running backs coach before pivoting to tight ends at the start of the 2019 campaign. He'd finish the year as the interim head coach and was the play caller for the final eight games of that season.

He returned to his post as tight ends coach at the start of 2020, where he remained through this past season until he added interim offensive coordinator and quarterbacks to his list of duties.

Campanile's most recent protégé was Rutgers' Johnny Langan. A converted quarterback, Langan racked up over 1,300 all-purpose yards in his career on the Banks, despite not moving to the position full time until the 2021 season. His 31 receptions were the second-highest mark on the team this season.

Campanile arrived at Rutgers after spending eight seasons as the head coach of Bergen Catholic, where he led the team to the 2017 state championship. One of the nation's elite high school programs, Campanile compiled a 60-28 record (.681), while leading the Crusaders.

He mentored seven all-state quarterbacks at Bergen Catholic, which averaged over 35 points per game and saw numerous prospects sign scholarship offers across the country during his tenure.

Before Bergen Catholic, he was the offensive coordinator at Don Bosco Prep from 2000-09, another one of the top football programs in the nation. The Ironmen won six state championships in his 10 seasons there, claiming the national title in 2009. In his time running the offense, Don Bosco recorded a 112-6 overall record.

He also previously served as the school's athletic director and wrestling coach, winning the 2010 Non-Public A state championship on the mat. He additionally worked as a history and physical education teacher.

Campanile comes from a football family, having played quarterback and safety for his father, Mike, at Paramus Catholic, before going on to play collegiately at Amherst College in 1995 and 1996, before transferring to Montclair State, where he graduated in 1999. His brothers, Vito (Bergen Catholic head coach), Nick (DePaul head coach) and Anthony (Miami Dolphins linebackers), also followed in their father's footsteps as football coaches.

I like Nunzio a lot. I'd be stunned if Wildhack is going to hand over the keys to him, though, or even give him an interview.
Hopefully he sticks on the staff and gets a chance to take on more responsibility.

At this point hire Nunzio and he can bring in Kyle Flood and Steve Addazzio to handle TE and OL

See who he can bring in to replace Rocky at DC since Rocky is 95% gone

May have to replace Beck too as I get the feeling he is moving on as well based off the tone of some of his wife's tweets

At this point hire Nunzio and he can bring in Kyle Flood and Steve Addazzio to handle TE and OL

See who he can bring in to replace Rocky at DC since Rocky is 95% gone

May have to replace Beck too as I get the feeling he is moving on as well based off the tone of some of his wife's tweets
Kyle Flood makes 2 mil a year at Texas. Good luck with that

1701122208944.jpeg

It should be illegal to start a thread with that title until it ACTUALLY HAPPENS. Some of us have high blood pressure already ya know!
Agreed. I don't have the excuse of high blood pressude and the title still sent my BP sky high.

I don’t expect many here will agree with me on this but I think out HC has been here in waiting the entire season.

Coaches in waiting are there but I do not think any current NFL staffer/coordinator is going to want to make a move to coach again in the college ranks knowing what Syracuse has in front of them, from players dropping out of the program to NIL and other things that will have to be addressed.

Coaching us to a win this past Saturday was no easy task with Shrader coming into the game just before it started and winning it with Villari and Allen. Campanile works well with Beck who should also be retained and we played a game that satisfied all of us. Rocky’s D played a part in us getting to six wins.

Campanile is young, experienced and knows Syracuse better than anyone out there hoping to be hired. I hope he’s being considered. What he and Beck did out together was great. We’ll see what happens.

He is also a great recruiter probably our best and has developed the N.J. pipeline beyond what it was for us before he got here. You want a head coach who goes out and recruits, you got him in Nunzio. And, he recruits the best from Bergen Catholic to Don Bosco and all the top schools in that state and the states important to us for recruiting from NY to the DMV and beyond. I think he'd make a great head coach. he doesn't mess around but comes right to the point and develops players. At this point who knows who it will be. My vote is for Nunzio.

I believe Nunzio Campanile could handle the job and do it well. I copy/pasted the following from cuse.com for those of you who aren’t familiar with his background. After watching what ha did vs. Wake there isn’t any doubt in my mind that he could be our next successful HC.

BIO

An experienced power five coach with strong ties to northeast recruiting, Nunzio Campanile was hired as Syracuse's new tight ends coach in January 2023. On Nov. 19, 2023 he was named interim head coach of the program.

Campanile joined the Orange after spending the past five seasons at Rutgers, serving in numerous roles including interim stints as head coach and offensive coordinator, but spent most of his time dedicated to the tight ends room.

A Paramus Catholic graduate with strong ties across New Jersey, Campanile was an accomplished high school coach before joining the Scarlet Knights, with stints at national powerhouses Bergen Catholic and Don Bosco Prep.

Campanile joined Rutgers for the 2018 season as the running backs coach before pivoting to tight ends at the start of the 2019 campaign. He'd finish the year as the interim head coach and was the play caller for the final eight games of that season.

He returned to his post as tight ends coach at the start of 2020, where he remained through this past season until he added interim offensive coordinator and quarterbacks to his list of duties.

Campanile's most recent protégé was Rutgers' Johnny Langan. A converted quarterback, Langan racked up over 1,300 all-purpose yards in his career on the Banks, despite not moving to the position full time until the 2021 season. His 31 receptions were the second-highest mark on the team this season.

Campanile arrived at Rutgers after spending eight seasons as the head coach of Bergen Catholic, where he led the team to the 2017 state championship. One of the nation's elite high school programs, Campanile compiled a 60-28 record (.681), while leading the Crusaders.

He mentored seven all-state quarterbacks at Bergen Catholic, which averaged over 35 points per game and saw numerous prospects sign scholarship offers across the country during his tenure.

Before Bergen Catholic, he was the offensive coordinator at Don Bosco Prep from 2000-09, another one of the top football programs in the nation. The Ironmen won six state championships in his 10 seasons there, claiming the national title in 2009. In his time running the offense, Don Bosco recorded a 112-6 overall record.

He also previously served as the school's athletic director and wrestling coach, winning the 2010 Non-Public A state championship on the mat. He additionally worked as a history and physical education teacher.

Campanile comes from a football family, having played quarterback and safety for his father, Mike, at Paramus Catholic, before going on to play collegiately at Amherst College in 1995 and 1996, before transferring to Montclair State, where he graduated in 1999. His brothers, Vito (Bergen Catholic head coach), Nick (DePaul head coach) and Anthony (Miami Dolphins linebackers), also followed in their father's footsteps as football coaches.
I will go out on a limb here and say zero chance.

I like Nunzio a lot. I'd be stunned if Wildhack is going to hand over the keys to him, though, or even give him an interview.
Hopefully he sticks on the staff and gets a chance to take on more responsibility.
He told Emily that the question has not been asked of him, so as of two days ago they had not approached him.

BIO

I am still reflecting on the last Saturday's game. Wake wanted that game bad, it would probably given them a bowl because of their academic ranking and kept their bowl streak alive. Wake all season misfired because the QB, Grifiss, that Clawson was trying to get take over for Hartman just couldn't get the job done. Probably kept him as the starter hoping he would get them to a bowl which would set him up for next year. So, Saturday he finally went with Kern who responded with a great game. He will be the starter going forward and that's all that Wake needs to get back to 8-10 wins. Nunzio and Becks coaching got SU a bowl bid, which around these parts are far and few between. I was more than impressed that he out coached Clawson. He handled everything like a professional, the guys ready to be a head coach, can't believe the brain trust on the hill can't see what they have.

People look at coaches thru the lens of what it means to their own teams and no thru the lens of other coaches. Many of the issues they think they see in their own they don't realize exist in 95% of the others have as well.

He was competent as a figurehead as a person of positive image. His game and team preparation and in game decision making were lacking.

He was competent as a figurehead as a person of positive image. His game and team preparation and in game decision making were lacking.
He coached the team to three bowl games.

He won ten games one season.

If Shrader had been healthy this year he probably would have won seven games - perhaps eight games - and would have remained with the Program.

He adjusted the staff over the years - bringing us some very good coaches.

He adjusted the scheme, bringing us a pretty effective defensive approach.

The Wildcat attack he and his staff developed this year was clever and effective.

Like it or not, the fact is that he was a victim of what impacted Scott Shafer - a lack of depth caused by various factors beyond his control.

Hopefully, with the renewed investment in the Program and the addition of a young coach who is supposed to be a great recruiter, we will add depth and be in a better position to compete against the best the ACC has to offer.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom