Our press | Syracusefan.com

Our press

QUSE

Walk On
I just don't get it. Why do we press like we do? We get so close to the ball handler, he either dribbles around the coverage or pass out of it, either way, the ball gets behind our first line defenders, now our guards and forwards have to play catch up and on the other end of the floor our center has to defend a 2-man fast break. It doesn't even work THAT well against lower team, against elite teams it gets busted almost every time.

Why can't we press like Louisville does it? They allow a little buffer between the defender and the ball handler so their players always stay in front of the ball to apply constant pressure. The guy that helps to press doesn't get too close either so he can take away the empty space and cut off the passing lane. It's highly effective and combines that with our zone it leaves opponent little time to get a decent shot. Plus the defenders are less likely to commit fouls when they press.

I just don't get it. Why do we press like we do? We get so close to the ball handler, he either dribbles around the coverage or pass out of it, either way, the ball gets behind our first line defenders, now our guards and forwards have to play catch up and on the other end of the floor our center has to defend a 2-man fast break. It doesn't even work THAT well against lower team, against elite teams it gets busted almost every time.

Why can't we press like Louisville does it? They allow a little buffer between the defender and the ball handler so their players always stay in front of the ball to apply constant pressure. The guy that helps to press doesn't get too close either so he can take away the empty space and cut off the passing lane. It's highly effective and combines that with our zone it leaves opponent little time to get a decent shot. Plus the defenders are less likely to commit fouls when they press.
did you see our press against the Zags and Virginia in the NCAA tournament?

did you see our press against the Zags and Virginia in the NCAA tournament?
Our kind of press force the opponent to speed up the tempo, those 2 teams actually got some fast break opportunities just couldn't convert because they're so used to slow paced offense. We're gonna face a lot of athletic teams and this kind of press plays into their strength, Kansas is a prime example. I just hope we don't get behind a lot so we don't need to press desperately.

they easily beat the press and then kicked it out to run clock. the ticktocks were more important than the points.

These guys were gassed at the end.

Ding, ding, ding.

But the loss of Geno doesn't matter.

Not to mention that KU is a difficult team to press.

Our kind of press force the opponent to speed up the tempo, those 2 teams actually got some fast break opportunities just couldn't convert because they're so used to slow paced offense. We're gonna face a lot of athletic teams and this kind of press plays into their strength, Kansas is a prime example. I just hope we don't get behind a lot so we don't need to press desperately.
we also have 7 guys. Teams that want to press need more guys. Unless you want walk ons out there...

Yeah UVA and Gonzaga really crapped the bed with missed bunnies and such. They beat the press plenty and got sped up. I think we had quicker guys back then as well. We have some good length this year but not sure the requisite footspeed to slap on a press and expect to have some good success against fast/athletic dudes.

Pitino’s press was great because he always recruited a couple of guys with zero skills besides being extremely quick that wreaked havoc and played 5-10 minutes a game just to take a load off his main guys. For whatever reason that’s never been JB’s philosophy.

we also have 7 guys. Teams that want to press need more guys. Unless you want walk ons out there...
That is true. Louisville's press is exhausting and requires a lot of bodies.

we were gassed and not executing the traps properly - I can remember at least 2 times KU got by the defender down the sideline. It may not be effective against the upper echelon but I think it is going to be a factor for us this year with Marek on the front end and PC on the back end.

TMFD_large.jpg

Honestly, I think JAB's press is one of the best in the business, but it is only made for3-5 minute durations of time. It is unconventional in that its intent is not so much to create turnovers, but rather to dictate a quicker tempo and "force" players not often in a play-making role to assume responsibilities foreign to them. Lots of 3s and 4s making split-second decision on the break. This leads to lots of stupid mistakes. Our press also creates more possessions, which increases our chance of making a comeback. The key is having a center or last line of defense that is a shot blocker. IMHO, Jeremy McNeil was the best we ever had in regards to the press. We don't beat Oklahoma State and win in 2003 without him.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think JAB's press is one of the best in the business, but it is only made for3-5 minute durations of time. It is unconventional in that its intent is not so much to create turnovers, but rather to dictate a quicker tempo and "force" players not often in a play-making role to assume responsibilities foreign to them. Lots of 3s and 4s making split-second decision on the break. This leads to lots of stupid mistakes. Our press also creates more possessions, which increases our chance of making a comeback. The key is having a center or last line of defense that is a shot blocker. IMHO, Jeremy McNeil was the best we ever had in regards to the press. We don't beat Oklahoma State and win in 2003 without him.

That is creating turnover isn't it? Even a bad shot is just another form of turnover. I agree though it's speeding up the opponent as opposed to forcing them to kill more clock like Lousiville does. I'm frustrated mainly because our kind of press plays into elite teams like Kansas's strength, and both our centers are already foul prone and leaving them to defend 2-man fast break is asking for trouble.

That is creating turnover isn't it? Even a bad shot is just another form of turnover. I agree though it's speeding up the opponent as opposed to forcing them to kill more clock like Lousiville does. I'm frustrated mainly because our kind of press plays into elite teams like Kansas's strength, and both our centers are already foul prone and leaving them to defend 2-man fast break is asking for trouble.
I see what you're saying, but a missed shot is not a turnover, nor is a blocked shot. But the affect is largely the same. As stated above, in the Spring of 2016, Virginia was likely the most cerebral team in college hoops. They were (are) led by a brilliant young coach. And our press, that Easter Sunday, ruined their season-long narrative. Bennett's probably likely to get that elusive Final 4 someday, but chances are, it won't be at our expense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom