Our RPI at the moment (sit down before reading) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Our RPI at the moment (sit down before reading)

Likely incorrect. See USC resume in 2016 which garnered a #8 seed by beating a bunch of Pac 12 tourney schools (and not even Oregon the only top seed)

To be fair they had a neutral win against a ranked Wichita St. and a win at home against Monmouth.

Interesting back and forth you are having. I have a rule that I don't talk about RPI until February. I prefer to not spending my time talking about crap that doesn't matter. You guys have fun though. If you guys want to really have some fun you should talk about the 2020 Presidential election.

Geesh, so cynical. Following the ebbs and flows of our RPI (or BPI, etc.) is part of the fun of the college basketball season. I love analyzing what I think we need to do in order to make the tourney, get a better seed, etc.

I don't care about the RPI. And, luckily, the selection committee over the last few years has de-emphasized it.

It doesn't do anything well that it was designed to do. Terrible indicator of schedule strength and worse indicator of the quality of wins and losses. Even worse indicator of good/bad teams for ranking purposes. It's too easy to game, especially for midmajors.

I've had this point of view for a long time, unrelated to our good and bad seasons.
How is it de-empahsized? How do you think they look at wins over Top 25, Top 50, and Top 100? Those rankings are the RPI rankings.

How is it de-empahsized? How do you think they look at wins over Top 25, Top 50, and Top 100? Those rankings are the RPI rankings.

It used to be the end-all-be-all. That is not the case anymore. Committee members have said they're more inclined to look at other advanced metrics when evaluating teams than they were before.

As long as their RPI isn't complete trash, teams that previously would not even be in the conversation can find their way into the dance. I recall a team last season that somehow made it in with a 71 RPI.

I doubt SU will win every ACC home game and I doubt we will win only one ACC road game. We could very easily beat NC State, Clemson and GT on the road.
Clemson will be a tough out.

Reactions: gbo
possibly, but they're not as good as last year

It doesn't matter but until I see otherwise; unfortunately any decent M2M team will give Syracuse problems. That's just fact since like 2012.

Our OOC schedule strength really reveals itself when you compare our projected RPI vs. other ACC schools.

Projected Record and RPI

RPI Forecast

Wake Forest 16-14, RPI 44
Clemson 18-12, RPI 47
Syracuse 19-12, RPI 60
Pitt 16-15, RPI 63

That being said at 19-12, our RPI is still #60. Those decent RPI of Wake, Pitt and Clemson, despite weak records really show how we the number will be influenced by the strength of the ACC this year.

If we get to 20-11, our RPI will be around 50 and I can't see how you get 10 ACC wins without getting some top 50 wins. As I said before I have I am fairly certain we get in at 20 wins... the challenge will be getting to 20 wins.

20 wins is key.

20 wins is key.

20 wins in the ACC seems like a formula to get invited.

I'm not sure if anyone has said this yet, but from someone who has taken it very light so far this season and having missed most of the conversation, it is just bizarre going from final 4/top 10 talk to even discussing the borderline scenarios. I enjoy it and it's fun, but what a disappointment that they're being examined more closely than should be.

This team has a mixture of being young, and having 2 1 year transfers. To me, it seems very reasonable(and I might be exhbiting bias here) this team is going to improve, and is still far from the finished product. There will be more experiments, and there was time for it. In Wisconson, sitting reasonably close to the SU bench(thanks to zippy1808 who deserves a shout for his efforts, and for being an extremely cool dude whom I will vouch for), I was amazed to see how calm Boeheim remained. Now, I wish I had taken more experiences like that, to have a personal baseline to compare his calm demeanor to. I think that's likely worthy of it's own thread, so I dont wish to sidetrack this.

RPI has given fans something where they can feel even more connected, to the living organism, that is their team and the community that comes with it. When I was a kid I used to cut out the Top 25s from the paper, which had Cuse's spot bolded. Back then, if I recall correctly, they were always ranked. It was just a matter of where. RPI is far from perfect, but I love something that comes across as an organic measure of the team, flawed as it is. It will be fun to watch the numbers become more pleasing to syracusefan regulars. Once these guys shed the cocoon, I expect we can be the team we expected prior to the season, and with TT's emergence, possibly even better than that team in some areas.

Now to get down to business: I do not quickly dismiss any of the numbers mention. This team has earned them, in battle. At the point they were taken(and how the team was playing), they seem justified as a snapshot of the team's ranking in the moment, albeit flawed. I see great things ahead, but barring immediate change, that's where we are currently.