Our Staff & Recruiting...... | Syracusefan.com

Our Staff & Recruiting......

newmexicuse

All Conference
Lot's of talk on the forum as to whether or not we are targeting one year, two years guys etc.

That is really just a subset of our macro-recruiting strategy, which is to identify which kids we want & who we have a good chance to get, and then to show them the love all the way through their recruiting process.

The staff is executing this strategy to a T(ee?).

When was the last time we lost a kid who we really, really wanted and were seriously in the mix for until the end ??? I can't even remember.

This summer that started out so poorly with Ennis and Grant both leaving after an early Dance exit, has suddenly turned bright with the commitments of Diagne and Howard.

Kudos to the staff - keep up the great work in this area !!!

Lot's of talk on the forum as to whether or not we are targeting one year, two years guys etc.

That is really just a subset of our macro-recruiting strategy, which is to identify which kids we want & who we have a good chance to get, and then to show them the love all the way through their recruiting process.

The staff is executing this strategy to a T(ee?).

When was the last time we lost a kid who we really, really wanted and were seriously in the mix for until the end ??? I can't even remember.

This summer that started out so poorly with Ennis and Grant both leaving after an early Dance exit, has suddenly turned bright with the commitments of Diagne and Howard.

Kudos to the staff - keep up the great work in this area !!!

UCONN has one 4 national championships in the last 15 years. They have not done it with one-and-done players. I think our problems have been a combination of bad luck combined with having a little too much predictability on offense. The defense has been sensational!

newmexicuse said:
Lot's of talk on the forum as to whether or not we are targeting one year, two years guys etc. That is really just a subset of our macro-recruiting strategy, which is to identify which kids we want & who we have a good chance to get, and then to show them the love all the way through their recruiting process. The staff is executing this strategy to a T(ee?). When was the last time we lost a kid who we really, really wanted and were seriously in the mix for until the end ??? I can't even remember. This summer that started out so poorly with Ennis and Grant both leaving after an early Dance exit, has suddenly turned bright with the commitments of Diagne and Howard. Kudos to the staff - keep up the great work in this area !!!

Nerlans Noel, Anthony Davis are two guys we really wanted and we were in the mix for.

Anthony Davis in particular. I won't claim to know anything in secret about that case, but it seemed all indications were that we were in great shape with him and then he suddenly committed to UK. Then there was the Chicago Sun Times report saying he was paid $200,000 to sign with UK. Then there was his unique behavior at the National Championship game - as soon as the final buzzer sounded, he sprints over to Phil Knight for bear hugs...??

Anyway - he was a game changing recruit so that one stung.

Nerlans Noel, Anthony Davis are two guys we really wanted and we were in the mix for.

Agree on Noel, we were there until the end, but clearly not the favorite to get him. Davis we were on early, but nowhere to be seen at the finish line. Maybe, I should amend my post to say when was the last time we lost a kid we really wanted except to Paypal Cal.

Anthony Davis in particular. I won't claim to know anything in secret about that case, but it seemed all indications were that we were in great shape with him and then he suddenly committed to UK. Then there was the Chicago Sun Times report saying he was paid $200,000 to sign with UK.

Stupid hand shake deals!

This is a self fulfilling prophecy to a degree. As the recruiting process works its way to conclusion the staff begins to understand where a kid's greatest interest lie or where his handlers may be pushing him. Do we lose interest in kids because we decide we don't want them or because we see the writing on the wall and elect to concentrate our efforts where we can be successful.

Guys like: Brandon Knight, Beejay Anya, Rondae Jefferson, Jermaine Lawrence, Noah Vonleh, Dakari Johnson

everybody is one and done if u have a big year. boeheim is the master of not playing big time talents to make sure they return. he also lies when he wants to keep someone like Carmelo.

Anthony Davis in particular. I won't claim to know anything in secret about that case, but it seemed all indications were that we were in great shape with him and then he suddenly committed to UK. Then there was the Chicago Sun Times report saying he was paid $200,000 to sign with UK. Then there was his unique behavior at the National Championship game - as soon as the final buzzer sounded, he sprints over to Phil Knight for bear hugs...??

He sprinted over to Phil Knight as soon as the final buzzer sounded? Does anyone have photos or video of this?

The Governor said:
He sprinted over to Phil Knight as soon as the final buzzer sounded? Does anyone have photos or video of this?

I think if he ran to him first he would have played for Oregon. Half the stuff written on here is just BS to try to strengthen ones arguments or they just believe any crap they hear and spew it out.

I think if he ran to him first he would have played for Oregon. Half the stuff written on here is just BS to try to strengthen ones arguments or they just believe any crap they hear and spew it out.

Check the tape my man. AD in the stands locked in an embrace with Phil Knight while the confetti rains down. It was on CBS live.

OK I did some searching, two3zone is right: I am a completely BS crap spewer.

It was World Wide Wes he bear hugged in the stands, Phil Knight got his hugs in the locker room:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/kentuckys-john-calipari-built-21st-070000330--ncaab.html
5cbc339d08d659421527f088c80871bc5c357ca1e8ffde889105c2c2475d4c1e.png

everybody is one and done if u have a big year. boeheim is the master of not playing big time talents to make sure they return. he also lies when he wants to keep someone like Carmelo.

I hesitate to ask but...What lie did he tell to keep Carmelo? It obviously didn't work.

I hesitate to ask but...What lie did he tell to keep Carmelo? It obviously didn't work.
he said if Carmelo came back, we could make the final four. I said bull. we're good enough to win it all this year

Agree on Noel, we were there until the end, but clearly not the favorite to get him. Davis we were on early, but nowhere to be seen at the finish line. Maybe, I should amend my post to say when was the last time we lost a kid we really wanted except to Paypal Cal.
Maybe that speaks more to the fact that once we know we're not the front runners, we cut bait and move on. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I suppose it depends on the player.

Tobias "Lady Vols" Harris? Other than him can only think of Julius Hodge and that worked out pretty well for us I'd say.
Missing out on Tobias hurt. He would've given us a midrange scoring option that team lacked. With him, I think we're a final four team that year.

Last edited:
he said if Carmelo came back, we could make the final four. I said bull. we're good enough to win it all this year

Well, you've got to make it to the Final Four to win it all, so I don't see any "lie" there.

How was that a lie? If Carmelo came back, we could've made the final four.

sufandu said:
Maybe that speaks more to the fact that once we know we're not the front runners, we cut bait and move on. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. I suppose it depends on the player.

I was going to post this same exact thing. Agreed that I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing either. Color me undecided.